Need help deciding on next mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Will_OT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I was considering a cam swap, but it turns out it's too pricey for me at the moment. Now my problem is I have the itch and really want to do something to my truck but not sure where to go next and I'm looking for suggestions.

I'm considering either possibly getting a ported TB from Moe's, or a S&B CAI. Problem is everywhere I look people say they either noticed noticed a small change in performance or none at all. I'd like to do something around that price point, but don't really want to drop that much money if I won't really notice a change, any ideas?

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you have a custom tune? Any CAI or ported TB is going to give minimal gains without a tune.

What other mods have you done?

OP
OP
Will_OT

Will_OT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes I'm running a hemifever 93 tune. Also have JBA Shorties, Y pipe replaced, Flowmaster American Thunder 817568 muffler, Bilstein 5100's with 2.1" lift up front, clutch fan delete.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oh ok with those mods then a good CAI would help with throttle response and top end power.

FWIW I've had the S&B 75-5106, 75-5078, Stock intake with the Ecodiesel lower box/inlet tube, and the Vararam Air Grabber on my truck. The one that made the most difference was the Air Grabber. If you go that route I highly recommend you get an Outerwears pre filter made for it to help keep out rain and snow if snows an issue for you...

OP
OP
Will_OT

Will_OT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've looked at the vararam, not sure I like it. I like the looks of the S&B better and it's cheaper so I'm not sure which way to go with that. Do you have to remove the intake to change your oil?

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had my S&B since truck was almost new, I've changed my filter out already and just had to take the lid off and a few other clamps, etc, took about 10- 15 minutes. I also have a pre filter sock on my filter, really for my own piece if mind. I get zero drone with the kit, only time you know it's there is when you get into the pedal hard. And even then it's not crazy obnoxious, it's a nice smooth roar.

Micah12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the S&B CAI - bought and installed in jan '19

I agree with the above comment, you can really tell its there when you step on the gas. Its a nice sound, plus it looks great.

I have two kids 3 and 7, they don't complain of noise. Not noisy like adding an aftermarket exhaust

No you don't have to remove the intake to change you oil either. Just unscrew the lid, to remove the filter.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You do not have to remove the intake(Vararam) when you change the oil.
Jay

OP
OP
Will_OT

Will_OT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry, should've specified the vararam when I asked about the oil change.

I've had my S&B since truck was almost new

Where did you get yours? Did you buy from Moe's or did you find a place in Canada that sells them?

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didn't know about Moes at the time, I bought from an S&B distributor, a guy in Kanata actually.

I'll get the name if you want, can't remember.

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes please, thanks.

So I couldn't remember the name of the place so went to S&B website and checked dealers - how I originally found this guy - and he must be gone or not selling anymore, only Ottawa dealers now are :
Action Car & Truck 738-7777
Automotive Outfitters 777-7890
Roy Barber 355-7809

Now if prices aren't competitive, could always order from Moes or Summit and have it sent to Ogdensburg, drive down and get it.

OP
OP
Will_OT

Will_OT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I found that dealer search just now too, called Action and they have them in stock for $400 which is a good price CDN.

Now, should I get the re-usable filter or the dry filter? The re-usable has slightly better performance, but it's oiled. It looks like when you clean it you have to let it dry for 24 hours before you can oil it and put it back in the air box. The dry filter is only $45US and can last up to almost 50,000km.

Did you guys go with the oiled or dry?

kiloRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
New truck mod with the 6.4 and 8-speed?

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I found that dealer search just now too, called Action and they have them in stock for $400 which is a good price CDN.

Now, should I get the re-usable filter or the dry filter? The re-usable has slightly better performance, but it's oiled. It looks like when you clean it you have to let it dry for 24 hours before you can oil it and put it back in the air box. The dry filter is only $45US and can last up to almost 50,000km.

Did you guys go with the oiled or dry?

I went with dry. Like I said, also got a filter sock with it. I've changed the filter out once so far, also dry. My old one wasn't too dirty actually, but I had 55,000+ km, so changed it anyway.

MoparBrent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I was considering a cam swap, but it turns out it's too pricey for me at the moment. Now my problem is I have the itch and really want to do something to my truck but not sure where to go next and I'm looking for suggestions.

I'm considering either possibly getting a ported TB from Moe's, or a S&B CAI. Problem is everywhere I look people say they either noticed noticed a small change in performance or none at all. I'd like to do something around that price point, but don't really want to drop that much money if I won't really notice a change, any ideas?

Look into fastman’s throttle body. It’s a true bore TB and with already having a custom tune and a few small mods it will be your best choice

OP
OP
Will_OT

Will_OT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ended up ordering the S&B from Action car and truck on Thursday afternoon, showed up Friday morning and I installed it that day. Not terribly impressed, looks good and sounds good at WOT but didn't really notice any gains in the butt dyno. Are you guys running yours with the second hole plugged or open?

sparkygreen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Good luck, hopefully the CAI helps. For what its worth I had the OEM air box, AEM drop in filter, Legmaker Mid Pipe and a Moes 87mm TB on my 2014 Ram. I had the y pipe, spintech muffler and 5" tips. But I didn't have a tuner.

I always felt I noticed a change in throttle response when i added the midpipe and TB, but it was tough to tell how much.

I am now trading that truck in on a 2019 and I pulled the intake mid pipe, filter and TB and went back to stock. Once it was off I noticed a HUGE difference in throttle response the other way. Much more sluggish than it was.

So with what you have I would say go for the TB too when you can. I dont think you will be disappointed.