Need help urgently

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lak6n

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Small Block 360
I’m stumped. Need someone that knows electrical.

1987 Dodge W-150 - 360 Gasser

I’ve recently rebuilt my motor top to bottom. After getting the entire motor together and in the vehicle we tried to start it and nothing. Just a click, no starter.

First thought - Starters gone. So we jumped the solenoid on the starter, and it fired - Starter works.

Second thought - Starter Relay box (6 pin i believe, picture attatched below). My truck still had the box from ‘87 so we bought a new one and replaced it. Nothing. - Starter relay is new

After this we began consulting google. After checking the grounds, ensuring each wire wasn’t broken and still worked (ign switch, positive battery, relay to starter, and relay to neutral safety switch), and after attempting to start the engine in Park, Neutral, and while moving the shifter, we still can’t get anything.

Nothing we’ve tried has produced more than a click. All connections have been cleaned thoroughly, we verified once again that the starter does work when jumped, and the battery is fully charged and had been charging all day.

I’m lost at this point, no idea what is causing the issues. If anyone could shine some light on this it would be much appreciated. I attatched photos of the starter relay, my starter solenoid, and the park neutral switch.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Are you sure it's not simply the starter solenoid? You said you jumped it and it worked. You need to verify with a meter that it's getting the proper voltage and it is what's "clicking".

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I concur with chopperman1. You can jump the starter solenoid from the outside and still have the contacts on the inside be garbage.

How exactly are you jumping it? Are you jumping the mains with a screw driver? that's actually bypassing the solenoid. Are you jumping the actuator terminals?
Is there another relay up stream you are missing?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956