Need help with a 5 speed swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2ndgenproject

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
Hey all. Looking to manual swap my 98 1500 5.2 magnum. I found a NV3500 cheap from a 02 dakota. I believe it has a 3.9.

I'm wondering what all I'm going to need for this swap. Its coming with a new clutch. I was thinking About replacing the seals. And I believe I have to replace the output shaft, because my truck is a 4x4 and this trans is from a 4x2 dakota. I know I'll need a clutch pedal and it's components. And I believe I need a different flywheel?

Has anybody else went from an auto to manual? Any advice is appreciated

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hey all. Looking to manual swap my 98 1500 5.2 magnum. I found a NV3500 cheap from a 02 dakota. I believe it has a 3.9.

I'm wondering what all I'm going to need for this swap. Its coming with a new clutch. I was thinking About replacing the seals. And I believe I have to replace the output shaft, because my truck is a 4x4 and this trans is from a 4x2 dakota. I know I'll need a clutch pedal and it's components. And I believe I need a different flywheel?

Has anybody else went from an auto to manual? Any advice is appreciated
You will need a clutch pedal which you already mentioned. You will also need a clutch master cylinder and a ***** cylinder assembly. Next will be going from an automatic flexplate to a flywheel. Don't forget the pilot bushing in the crankshaft.

For this trans to work with your transfer case you will need to get an extension housing from a NV3500 that came from a 4x4 truck. RAM or Dakota should work from that late 90's era!