Need help with tire choice for 35 x 12.5 x 17r!? 80psi?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Therottenjohnny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins diesel
I have a 2013 Ram 2500 Leveling kit running General Grabber MT3 35"x12.5x17R. I'm VERY interested in the Nitto Ridge Grappler due to all the reviews and what I will be using my truck for. My issue is this. The tires recommended for my truck have an 80psi max. The Ridge Grapplers have a 65psi max. Now here's the thing the Ridge grapplers are still a load rating E tire with 3195lbs rating which is the same Grabbers 'm running now. I will be towing a 35' toy hauler with a Harley in the back. When I get to where I'm going it's going to be a lot of driving on wet rainy pavement and some times in a muddy environment. The tire shops say Nitto won't warranty the tire if I use them due to psi issue. I was told that I need a 121Q load index rated tire. I really don't care about the warranty to be honest.
Does psi of tire really matter if it has an E rating and load capability of 3195lbs when my Grabbers have the same performed fine? Also, does anyone know a hybrid or mud tire that is f rated load index or has an 80 psi max inflation? I'm not trying to buy 20" rims to get a 35" tire with an f rated load index and 80 psi.
Do any of you run 35x 12.5x17 ridge grapplers on a 2500 or up and do any type of towing? Thanks in advance. Oh ya one shop mentioned something about the TPS having to do with it. If that just means that light stays on I can deal with that. It's been on since I bought the truck last year.

kmrtnsn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just because a tire has a maximum inflation rate of eighty PSI doesn't mean by any standard that you have to run that pressure. Tire inflation should be based upon load and road conditions , and frankly many manufacturer recommended inflation pressures are high. I run the E load rated tires on my Jeep at thirty PSI highway and fifteen PSI off-road. As for towing a trailer of that weight on "floatation" tires is just asking for trouble. It may be time to access what is it you really want do with your truck, is it an off-road toy or a highway tow vehicle because you're probably going to have to choose between diametrically opposite functions.

kmrtnsn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The problem with 35/12.50s and towing is the heat generated during sidewall compression and flex. It has nothing to do with brand and everything to do with what the tire was designed for. Towing was never part of that design equation.

OP
OP
Therottenjohnny

Therottenjohnny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins diesel
Just because a tire has a maximum inflation rate of eighty PSI doesn't mean by any standard that you have to run that pressure. Tire inflation should be based upon load and road conditions , and frankly many manufacturer recommended inflation pressures are high. I run the E load rated tires on my Jeep at thirty PSI highway and fifteen PSI off-road. As for towing a trailer of that weight on "floatation" tires is just asking for trouble. It may be time to access what is it you really want do with your truck, is it an off-road toy or a highway tow vehicle because you're probably going to have to choose between diametrically opposite functions.

I appreciate the feedback but that didn't answer my questions at all. Maybe I didn't explain myself very well?

OP
OP
Therottenjohnny

Therottenjohnny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins diesel

I appreciate the feedback but that didn't answer my questions at all. Maybe I didn't explain myself very well?
The problem with 35/12.50s and towing is the heat generated during sidewall compression and flex. It has nothing to do with brand and everything to do with what the tire was designed for. Towing was never part of that design equation.
I understand this isn't a tow truck tire but I'm sure these manufacturers take into consideration that anyone owning a truck is going to tow something whether it be a boat, jet skis, or in my case a toy hauler? How bad could it be? I see people towing things all the time with 35" tires.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Definitely dont put 80 psi in them unless your gonna tow something really heavy.

Blue Mule

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat