Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AppaloosaFarm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have a 2020 RAM 2500 4x4 and am in the market for new tires (LT275/70R18). I live NW of Chicago near the Wisconsin border, and so plan to get a good all-weather tire with a snow rating. I have boiled it down to two options: the Nitto Exo Grappler AWT or the Falken Wildpeak AT3W. Both are very well-rated. Both have the 'Three Peak Mountain Snowflake' symbol. The Falkens are more expensive, but that alone doesn't make them better. All of my driving is on two-lane county roads that often aren't well-plowed in the winter (not to mention the driveway to the barn). Are the Falkens worth the extra ~$50/tire cost? Thanks!

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK, well I have Falkens, so I say yes, LOL. But either as reported, but I have no experience with Nitto's are comparable. I am running a 1500, very low road noise and they R all wearing well. I would recommend road force balance as these tires are very heavy, compared to stock, as far as a 1500 goes. MAKE sure wateva U get U rotate those tires also.

Now I am running "C" rated AT3W's, your usage may decide whether U need an LT or an "E" rated tire due to towing loads.

New tire on truck.jpgNew tires left side truck.jpg

OP
OP
AppaloosaFarm

AppaloosaFarm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thanks! I'm looking at the LT version, E1, 80 psi, for load rating and towing (horse trailer). How has your experience been in snow and slush with the Falkens?

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks! I'm looking at the LT version, E1, 80 psi, for load rating and towing (horse trailer). How has your experience been in snow and slush with the Falkens?
Fine, but now all we normally get here may be an inch of ice. However, we had our freak storm in 2021. Had 8" of snow, 1 " of ice, all on road surface. No plows here, they used road graders to scrape down to a perfect ice skating rink on the rural road I live on. Was able to move ok being smart when driving. But I actually drove off the road on the side of the road in the snow/ditch/shoulder, was easier to drive. Just put in 4 High and drive to the terrain, no issues. I pull a stock trailer just a couple of times a year so did not need the "E" tires, "C" are sufficient. But this is all IMHO.....

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I had put the Nitto dura grapplers on my 3500 couple of years ago. They wore great and were quiet. But I never drove in the snow, so I cant help you with real OJT experience. This was my third set of Nitto tires purchased, would buy them again as I had no problems.

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have Falken Wildpeak AT3W's now and previously had BFG KO2's. We get decent snow here (a few 12"-16" falls a year) and I make a few trips up to Vermont to snowmobile every winter. Funny you said the Falkens are a little more expensive. I switched to them on my last 2 trucks from the KO2's because they were a little less expensive. Both were all around good tires.
Just a note....I had 20" Falkens on my previous truck and went with 18" on my current truck because I like the higher profile sidewalls and like how they handle ruts, bumps, etc. on our crappily maintained roads in the lower NY area better.

Attachments

• truck1.jpg
    truck1.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
AppaloosaFarm

AppaloosaFarm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
On SimpleTire.com, the Falkens are $340 while the Nitto Exo $289. But both rate almost identical and both have great reviews. I had 20-inch Nokains on my last truck, a 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4x4, which performed great. I switched to the 2500 for towing and hauling capacity, and it came with 18-inch wheels. I like the 18s, but I've not been impressed with the factory tires and at 40K miles it's time to switch before another winter.

So it's sounding like the Falkens are worth the money.

Tom Davis

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I ran Toyo AT2 for 6 years and was the worse wet weather tire I have ever seen. Rather then go with Toyo again I went with the Falkens (had narrowed it to them and the BFG KO2s). And I can say that if I had to do it over again I would pick the Falkens every time. I am also running the 10-Ply tires, as that is what my truck calls for.

Have never ran Nitto, but have a buddy that has ran the Terra Grapplers for years and loves them.

Here is a review of the of the EXO Grappler...

OP
OP
AppaloosaFarm

AppaloosaFarm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So they both sound like great choices, but so far it's 3+ votes for the Falkens. Good review on the Nitto tho, hard to beat winter in New England to test a tire.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Both are great tires and since you spend most of your time on pavement both will work fine. Personally, I would save the $250 bucks and buy the cheaper of the two. Neither are as good a winter tire as a dedicated ice tire but for an all round, both work fine and neither have a big enough advantage to pay a lot more bucks for.

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
I had the Nitto G2 in the correct load rating on my 2500. No noise and didn’t pick up a lot of stones. I bought those because the majority of my driving was on road. They are more of an AT tire.
I now have a 2022 1500 which came new with the Falken Wildpeak. I would suggest to go with what is available and I think either tire will be good.

Torque

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've heard good things about the Falkin tires your considering. I had a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers and they worked well for one year and then became completely worthless on wet roads and the tread pattern caused a lot of squirm when new so they didn't track well on uneven roads either.

Just to add another tire to consider, I've been very happy with a set of Cooper Rugged Trek tires. I currently have the same size you're looking at, 275/70R18 in load range E. They are somewhat more aggressive than the tires you're looking at but they worked phenomenal in the snow and ice last winter. They look really nice in person too. Most balanced with very little weight except one of them, but I've had no issues with balance/vibration after a couple rotations.

Sidh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram 3500 SLT
Engine
5.9 L Cummins
If you live in Snow, tread pattern is also important...my truck has lived in snow states like VA, WY, UT, CO and has driven through others with snow...a good tread pattern will let you think like a Californian in snow and still walk away with nothing more than embarrassment. I've had the nitto's and they work great.

Tracy in IL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
WHen I did my search in 2017, the Yokohama Geolanders were rated 2nd just below Firestone Destination ATs. I live in NW illinois. My search criteria was good wet and dry traction, good snow/ice traction, good braking, good tire life, and QUIET going down the road. Yokos were $30/tire cheaper than Firestone. Got 45000 miles on em, rotating 5 tires.

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2020 RAM 2500 4x4 and am in the market for new tires (LT275/70R18). I live NW of Chicago near the Wisconsin border, and so plan to get a good all-weather tire with a snow rating. I have boiled it down to two options: the Nitto Exo Grappler AWT or the Falken Wildpeak AT3W. Both are very well-rated. Both have the 'Three Peak Mountain Snowflake' symbol. The Falkens are more expensive, but that alone doesn't make them better. All of my driving is on two-lane county roads that often aren't well-plowed in the winter (not to mention the driveway to the barn). Are the Falkens worth the extra ~$50/tire cost? Thanks!
I can't speak for the Falkens or the Nitto but I have put Cooper All Weathers on my last two Longhorns and they served me well up here in the Canadian winters ... Never had a problem going anywhere with them ... One winter we had an overnight snowstorm and I had to dig out a drift just to get my driver door open ... Started up the truck and got out of the driveway with no problem ... If I decide to put new tires on my present truck, I'd be looking at the Coopers ... JMO ...

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
WHen I did my search in 2017, the Yokohama Geolanders were rated 2nd just below Firestone Destination ATs. I live in NW illinois. My search criteria was good wet and dry traction, good snow/ice traction, good braking, good tire life, and QUIET going down the road. Yokos were $30/tire cheaper than Firestone. Got 45000 miles on em, rotating 5 tires.
I am amazed the Destination ATs scored top marks. The Firestone Transforce ATs came as 18" factory off road tires on my 2021 2500. They were good on pavement and dry gravel, absolutely useless in mud and medium depth snow. Never got to try them on ice as I took them off at 3000 miles because the truck was unusable off road. Even in low 4 and going slow, could not keep it on a semi muddy gravel oil road. The electronic stability control and traction control etc got so confused in 4 high it completely shut off.

20210818_104232.jpg

Last edited:

RedRAM21

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
They look similar to the BFG ATs.
The BFG Tires wear like steel and have no noticeable road noise.
I used to run this tire in New England, all year, and still run this tire in SoCal.
I run 35x12:50x18" on my 2021 RAM 1500 Bighorn, 4x.

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ran sized set of brothers duratracs and they are not bad bought a set for myself but with 3k running into issues with vibration at 70mph. Sounds like duratracs may be overkill for you and if worries about price, prob don’t wanna hear I payed about 1600 I think for mine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat