Need help with what appears to be a tranny issue but I'm not so sure anymore...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jay leon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello! My name's Jay from Cleveland OH. I'm new to the site. I need some help norrowing down
the issue/issues that I'm having w my truck.

I recently bought a 2008 quad cab hemi w lower miles(67k). It had no issues whatsoever when I first bought it about 2 months ago but a squeaky belt. The squeaky belt turned out to be a bad water pump pulley so I went ahead and replaced the water pump along w the fan clutch, thermostat, thermostat housing and serpentine belt. All the other pulleys seemed to be ok.

Upon starting the truck the very 1st time after the water pump replacement, I experienced some unusual high revving but eventually the rpms went back down to what I'd consider normal. I let the truck run at idle for about 20 mins looking for leaks and everything checked out ok. The very next day I start it up, let it warm up and everything seemed to be pretty normal. The rpms didn't jump up, no leaks, no overheating so I decided to take it for a spin around the block.
At first I thought I was having issues w the motor overevving again. It just didn't feel the same as before. I was either experiencing some overevving or some late tranny shifting going on... I decided to drive around a bit longer for about 10mins total. On my way back home I come to a red light, take off again and somehow the truck goes back to driving "normal". No issues at all... I figured it just fixed itself... GREAT!!! Let's go home!
The very next day I take the truck out and the problem's still there. I start doing research and I come across all kind of videos suggesting tranny problems, vaccuum leaks, etc, etc... so I called my buddy's dad... old man Bob... lol!
Bob's a well known mechanic so I trust his judgement. He asked a few questions over the phone and asked me to dbl check the vaccuum lines for leaks and also make sure the fan clutch is the right one. The clutch looks to be the same and I did not spot any broken vaccuum lines... so that brought me to this site... the more I look into this issue the more I want to believe it's a revving problem and not a tranny issue....I let the truck run this morning, jump in hit the gas and it feels to me as if the rpms take too long to rev back down... Idk, I'm starting to think my mind is playing tricks on me... lol!
I'll like to rule out the new fan clutch and pump first as the cause of my problem but not sure how to go about it. Any help will be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
J

Jay leon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I forgot to mention that there's no cel codes at all.