What needs to be replaced with a new engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bryce Kircheis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It finally let loose, 2014, 2500, 189K with a 5.7, Rod Knock, metal in the pan.

I'm in the process of pulling the motor, most likely going to be a reman replacement.

What needs to be replaced with the motor. I have some of the basics, but is there anything else?
Plugs
Water Pump
T-Stat
Belts/Hoses/Tensioner

Can the oil cooler and intake be cleaned?

What about the VVT solenoid?

Other items/sensors?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
It finally let loose, 2014, 2500, 189K with a 5.7, Rod Knock, metal in the pan.

I'm in the process of pulling the motor, most likely going to be a reman replacement.

What needs to be replaced with the motor. I have some of the basics, but is there anything else?
Plugs
Water Pump
T-Stat
Belts/Hoses/Tensioner

Can the oil cooler and intake be cleaned?

What about the VVT solenoid?

Other items/sensors?
As long as the engine didn't blow up,the intake should be clean-able,i spray them down with degreaser on the inside,remove the short runner valve motor on the back of the intake,then wash the living hell out of them at the local coin-op carwash,then blow it out with compressed air once i get it back home.If your truck has an oil cooler,i'd probably replace it though.Depending on how much metal is on the VVT solenoids screen would determine whether it needs replacing,if it's clean i'd keep it,if it has a build up of fine metalic particles,i'd replace it

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500