Need rubber plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chippewa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Gen 5
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2020 ram 1500. Trying to find plugs for under the truck side panels. It had stickers covering the holes! I peeled off every other one and shot fluid film in. I thought I could get plugs anywhere. But no luck finding any. Any help would be appreciated!!

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
I cannot picture in my mind exactly where the holes are and what shape they are. However, should you not be able to located the plugs you are looking for you might try this.. Go to a building supply place and get a roll of butyl flashing. Cut yourself some nice patches the same shape as the holes but larger. It has a peel off backing and sticks very well. I don't know what the original stickers were made of but I am sure the butyl flashing material will perform better.
If you want to remove in the future for another application they will be removable.
I carried a roll of the stuff in a motorhome over seven years of traveling the country and used it for many different things. It is one of those things that is nice to have with you sort of like duct tape and zip ties.
Good luck.
DD

edit: I usually clean the area where the flashing will be applied with alcohol prior to applying.

Last edited:

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I cannot picture in my mind exactly where the holes are and what shape they are. However, should you not be able to located the plugs you are looking for you might try this.. Go to a building supply place and get a roll of butyl flashing. Cut yourself some nice patches the same shape as the holes but larger. It has a peel off backing and sticks very well. I don't know what the original stickers were made of but I am sure the butyl flashing material will perform better.
If you want to remove in the future for another application they will be removable.
I carried a roll of the stuff in a motorhome over seven years of traveling the country and used it for many different things. It is one of those things that is nice to have with you sort of like duct tape and zip ties.
Good luck.
DD

edit: I usually clean the area where the flashing will be applied with alcohol prior to applying.
Butyl flashing is great stuff. Tons of uses. And works much better than duct tape on actual ducts LOL. My kids called it metal duck tape when they were little. I keep a few strips of it in my rambox.

OP
OP
C

Chippewa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Gen 5
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is on the bottom rocker panel about 6 inches up. 1 1/2” X 3/4” hole.
there are like 6 or 7 per side

675B048E-28DB-477F-B7D5-58FC3D6B0AD5.jpeg

053A2128-D4E3-456A-AB42-A3AEFB4A80FE.jpeg

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
OK, so they are not round. If you are dead set on the plugs give a RAM dealer a try. If they cannot help try an auto body supply place. One that supplies materials to body shops in your area. I restored a 1988 3500 GMC and found all the the little accoutrements like the plugs at my local auto body supply place. A local body shop or maybe your RAM dealer can point you toward the nearest Auto body supply dealer.
I am near certain that the butyl material will seal far better than a plug. Perhaps why the manufacturer used some type of tape rather than a plug.

taz2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2020 ram 1500. Trying to find plugs for under the truck side panels. It had stickers covering the holes! I peeled off every other one and shot fluid film in. I thought I could get plugs anywhere. But no luck finding any. Any help would be appreciated!!
Either this forum or the 5thgen one has a thread listing the part number you are looking for. The other forum seems to be down at the moment.

OP
OP
C

Chippewa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Gen 5
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK, so they are not round. If you are dead set on the plugs give a RAM dealer a try. If they cannot help try an auto body supply place. One that supplies materials to body shops in your area. I restored a 1988 3500 GMC and found all the the little accoutrements like the plugs at my local auto body supply place. A local body shop or maybe your RAM dealer can point you toward the nearest Auto body supply dealer.
I am near certain that the butyl material will seal far better than a plug. Perhaps why the manufacturer used some type of tape rather than a plug.
Thanks for your help. I will use the butyl tape temporarily. But I want the plugs as permanent solution because of all of the salt and brine Ohio gets in the winter.

taz2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for your help. I will use the butyl tape temporarily. But I want the plugs as permanent solution because of all of the salt and brine Ohio gets in the winter.

Wow, small world - I just noticed you're only 25 to 30 miles from me.

RaptorHD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 2500HD
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I got some from the dealer --no sweat! I have to admit though, the plugs suck for a few reasons
as they age they get hard and they shrink! after a while they will allow moisture in..

Butyl tape is a great option, make sure its about an 8th of an inch thick or better and cut it at least a 1/2 inch larger than the hole to ensure a permanent seal.. clean the area first with a good cleaner like a rag with alcohol first. 3M adhesion promoter would go a long way too..

Cheers!