Need some advice/info....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ghost1500

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I recently obtained a Black 2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab with the 5.7L Hemi. It currently has 19,701 miles on it. Been sitting since March 13th, 2018. I did an oil change, new air filter, and new Interstate battery to get it from my Dad's house to my home. It had hardly any gas in it so I didn't have to drain it. I put 5 gallons of premium in it and then I filled it on the way home. Truck ran awesome! I plan on also draining the coolant out of the radiator and filling it back up with fresh Mopar OAT coolant.

Here is my question? What else should I change maintenance wise or at all since it's low mileage? Trans. fluid? Front or rear diff., both? So what would you all do? This is my first truck I have owned since a 1991 Isuzu Pup. lol.... Thank you for any advice and pointers. :)

On a side note I do plan on putting a new Total Flow mid pipe & muffler in place of the factory one and maybe a K&N panel filter on too. That's about it performance wise. Now for aesthetics, that's a different story.

Best regards,

-Mike

Joshua Collins

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Personally I would swap all fluids and change the belt as well. Check the tires for dry rot as well. Run some good fuel system cleaner through it. Setting is not always a good thing especially anything that seals.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ghost1500

Ghost1500

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Ok. Thank you. The tire tread is great but where the bead is closest to the rim is starting to separate. I plan on putting some BF Goodrich on as a replacement. Something with a little more aggressive tread. I did run a Big bottle of Chevron Techron into the tank. It's in there right now.

The truck is an 8 speed. I'm probably going to have the dealer do the trans, and diff changes. I will handle all other ones though. Thank you in advance. And thank you for your service.

Best regards,

-Mike

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
I wouldn't worry about the K&N and make sure it has a new fluids in it Diff's, transfer case and transmission. Sounds like you are off to a good start.

Probably still has a factory warranty still going on it....LOL

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Pop the top b o o t y off on both diffs and see if the fluid has any bubbles or water, do this cold after it sat. You may just opt to get that oem garbage out anyhow, maybe put some amsoil ss or redline back, amsoil is great you don't need a pump if you get the bags, easy dyi. If you check the top of the fluid, it will give you an idea on how it is going with the diffs in the future. But if you ever drive through heavy storms and thick puddles, always a good idea to check the top b o o t y. 75w140 in the rear, 75w90 or 85 in the front. Do not forget t case, even if not used it gets as dirty if not dirtier then the diffs.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The truck is an 8 speed. I'm probably going to have the dealer do the trans, and diff changes. I will handle all other ones though. Thank you in advance. And thank you for your service.
The 8 speed transmission fluid change is pricy. Nearing expensive AF if you have the dealer do it. It’s a bit complicated but well worth learning how to do in the interest of money saving.

Ramagain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unless you know it's a flood truck there's no reason to swap out Trans and tx case fluids, diffs either on a truck with only 19k miles IMO. Check the fluid levels and condition 1st, if they appear good save yourself some $$.
Do the oil change, it's quick, cheap, and probably due.
Edit: Just saw that( oil) was done. You're good to go in my book. Run the injector cleaner for a couple of tanks. No need for premium, it's no cleaner than the other grades and you adding additives already.

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
K&N's ....is this the one you 'oil'? People report that those can eventually get oil deposits on a mass air flow sensor and damage them. But I don't know what one you're looking at.

Basically like the other guys said, change all the fluids. I'd also exchange the brake fluid some time. New is clear and it gets more Beer-color over time. That means it's got some moisture in it. Good time to replace.

If the upholstery is good, a set of step rails would be good. Getting in/out of them often wears out the seat cover and foam cushion on the edge. Learn how to get in and out and put the least amt of stress on the seat edge.

Remove the wheels and clean the brake dust off the BACKSIDE. That'll help keep them from getting scuzzy.

And since you're in MA, and the truck is so nice, I'd consider and DO some rust-proofing measure. Whether it's taking it to a rust-proofer or using oil in the 'bad' areas. Probably taking it to a rust-proofer would be best. The main thing is to get it done.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You don't have a mass air flow sensor, so no worry there.
There are much better filters than K&N though. No performance gain there either.

Sounds like a nice truck.

RamTXMS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 4x4
I read where you were planning on replacing the tires, so that's good. I just wanted to share my experience where I obtained a 2011 Ram with only 6k miles. While driving it home (10hrs), the right front tire blew out. Even though the tread was obviously brand new on all four, rot was something I didn't think about considering and replaced all tires the next week.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I recently obtained a Black 2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab with the 5.7L Hemi. It currently has 19,701 miles on it. Been sitting since March 13th, 2018. I did an oil change, new air filter, and new Interstate battery to get it from my Dad's house to my home. It had hardly any gas in it so I didn't have to drain it. I put 5 gallons of premium in it and then I filled it on the way home. Truck ran awesome! I plan on also draining the coolant out of the radiator and filling it back up with fresh Mopar OAT coolant.

Here is my question? What else should I change maintenance wise or at all since it's low mileage? Trans. fluid? Front or rear diff., both? So what would you all do? This is my first truck I have owned since a 1991 Isuzu Pup. lol.... Thank you for any advice and pointers. :)

On a side note I do plan on putting a new Total Flow mid pipe & muffler in place of the factory one and maybe a K&N panel filter on too. That's about it performance wise. Now for aesthetics, that's a different story.

Best regards,

-Mike
Panel filter?????

OP
OP
Ghost1500

Ghost1500

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Yes, I am talking about the drop in filter. I am not going to buy a cold air kit for the truck, just a better drop in filter and maybe a total flow mid and muffler. I am not going to do any more performance upgrades to it. I may add a few cool additions on the exterior though. I just ordered a new rear bumper for it. The old one is messed up from my Dad backing into something. I may also get a bumper guard to fasten to the hitch. Undecided....

Best regards,

-Mike

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can use a high quality OEM type filter (WIX, etc.) but get one for a 3.0 Ecodiesel, it will have more filter surface area as the pleats are longer.
You can also modify the stock box to fit the Ecodiesel snorkel and just get the snorkel or just get the Ecodiesel lower half of the stock air box. It is larger than the 5.7. Not sure if I noticed any change, but not any drawbacks either - I mean how often are you so deep into the throttle that any additional air flow is beneficial, unless you are racing it.

OP
OP
Ghost1500

Ghost1500

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Thanks for the advice Paco. Thumbs up!

Br,

-Mike

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I would leave that trans fluid alone, as long as it is not abnormally discolored. 19K is nothing on trans fluid, unless there was severe and I mean really severe use and abuse in those 19K miles, which I highly doubt. Wait until the 50K mark, then every 50K afterwards.

If it was mine, I would run a 2X dose of fuel system cleaner like Techron, etc., that contains PEA (and like you said, change out the coolant). After you are about halfway through the tank of gas with the 2X Techron dose, give the truck an "Italian tune-up". Run it hard for a few miles a few times. Nothing crazy, just good and hard.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn