Need some fast help!... Throttle Body Cleaning now hesitation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Today I changed the plugs and cleaned the throttle body in my truck. After putting everything back together, I had an issue with the gas peddle being hard to press. I found the issue which was related to the linkage on the throttle body. So I put it back together again, made sure the throttle body was lined up right, and cranked it up. It threw a CEL for the second time with a major hesitation and when I accelerate it hesitates big time. It eventually gets up in the RPM's after the major hesitation then sounds kind of like it's hitting the rev limiter. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
What all did you take off the throttle body?

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Dodge Dude, I took the two electrical plug ins off and disconnected them before doing any cleaning and took the started took one of the cables off on the left side and then decided to put it back on and clean it on the truck. When I put it back on, it wrapped around the other cable, hence the reason I was having trouble with the hard to press peddle. So I fixed that problem, but it did not fix the CEL of very rough idle and hesitation.

I just did another visual inspection and had my girl to start the truck and when she shut if off I heard a hiss. Came from an orange / reddish hose that I didn't see was completely unhooked and just dangling. Must have disconnected it by accident. I'm assuming this could be my issue and is some kind of vaccum hose considering it was hissing at shut-off? I remember seeing it earlier running to somewhere under the battery area, but cannot locate where it goes from a man on the moon. I'm uploading some pictures and will post them in less then five minutes.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I was asking what you removed because sometimes you can mess up a sensor.

As for the hose, there is a hose that attaches near the back of the throttle body, but I don't recall if it has vacuum or not.

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
There was a vac hose that hooked up to the back of the intake housing. Here is where I just looked at it again and also had my girl to start it again, here's the hose I found.

This is the hose that is un-hooked.

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b513/BlazersandWildcats2009/hose_zpseaace74a.jpg

I pin pointed the sound again, it's not coming from the hose, but more so coming from this part right here. The hose runs to some kind of adapter and then goes to this part right here.

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b513/BlazersandWildcats2009/2_zps3b5367c9.jpg

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Well, that second picture is your brake booster. The truck will definitely run like **** if that's buggered up.

You plugged that back in, right?

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Yea I defiantly plugged it back in, but I'm positive that's where the noise is coming from. I thought it was coming from the reddish hose that's disconnected and runs to the "brake booster", but the noise is defiantly coming from that area.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I don't know what that red hose is. Never seen it. Might be something a PO replaced at one point. Any open nozzles you can see near the booster that might be suspect?

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
I don't see anything. Checked all the hoses going to the brake booster. What's weird is that I had my truck sea-foamed two days ago through the brake booster vacuum hose. But the trucks been running excellent for two days until I did the plugs and tb today? Could the sea foam cause it to fail by chance?

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
I don't see anything. Checked all the hoses going to the brake booster. What's weird is that I had my truck sea-foamed two days ago through the brake booster vacuum hose. But the trucks been running excellent for two days until I did the plugs and tb today? Could the sea foam cause it to fail by chance?

Sea foam is an extremely bad idea. Not even the dealerships will use that crap. I have seen and heard more problems wit people using it than good things. I can bet that is where your problem started.

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Mega Mouse, well I regret it now if that caused my issue. I can tell you at first I thought it was going to be a good thing. I literally had to go apologize to a few people in the neighborhood who happen to be walking because for the first 3-4 miles after Seafoam, the truck blew out enormous, and when I say enormous I mean so much smoke that you couldn't see down the road if you looked in the Rear View.

However, I'm almost positive that this vacuum line leak is the issue. And if so, I'd like to get it fixed ASAP. I'm thinking for some reason after doing some reading, that this vacuum hose is suppose to be going to the Cruise Servo under the battery. I've red this is a common problem. The hose is busted and was completely destroyed in about three different spots. The cruise hasn't worked since I picked up the truck. The AC's only blew on high. They run off the same resorver and vac lines, which leads me to think this might have been the issue all of a long.

The only issue, I'm going to check the cruise servo tomorrow and see if that's where the vac line is missing from. If that's the case, I want to replace that line and the "check valve" or "one way valve' that the hose runs to up near the brake booster, however, from my reading Dodge says that you can't just replace that little rubber grommet, which is hog wash if that's the case.

Here's the hose and valve or "grommet" I'm speaking of.

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Okay update, and I will post the pictures tonight for future reference also so people can refer back to them.

Changed the vacuum line to the Cruise Servo, I now have Cruise for the first time owning my truck. It feels good to have that issue solved.

Now the hissing when shutting the truck down is also gone.

However, the truck is still idling rough and has a hesitation. I turned the key on and off several times and got the code PO352 on the dash board. I changed the plugs yesterday, could this have something to do with a loose connection on my coil packs?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I've never had issues Seafoaming my Ram, nothing but good for me.

Glad to hear the hissing is fixed and you have cruise now.

P0352 is a loose connection with the coil, so check all the coil connections and clean them if necessary.

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Update; the Ram is now fixed and running better than ever. As mentioned above a coil was lose! Luckily the Sea Foam didn't mess anything up. It was sea foamed and had new plugs put in, and a clean throttle body. (I must say the throttle body was extremely black) I changed to Mobile 1 Synthetic and a Mopar Oil filter not long ago. Now there's no more hissing and the cruise works excellent. Setting the cruise works, along with all the controls (accelerating, coast, etc.) Before the throttle body and the new plugs I was having an idle that wasn't extremely rough, but it didn't sound near as smooth as it could be. This thing idles like a brand new truck now. I can tell a noticeable difference in throttle response. Thanks a lot Dodge Dude and everyone else that gave input, it's greatly appreciated!

For everyone that runs across the cruise issue, total cost to fix cruise was about $7.00 for some hose and rubber end fittings from AZ. I can tell you the rubber hose that was going to the servo was destroyed in abut 4 spots, obviously from being under the battery. It's much simpler and very, very easy to reach if you take the driver fender well out. Here's the pictures I promised of where the hose runs to make it easier.

The top of the hose and where it runs. Notice it's the hose that goes on the long end of the T that runs down towards the battery.

Here you can see the nibble on the cruise servo where it attaches to with the a rubber fitting.

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Dodge Dude, good to hear you never had anything bad out of the Sea Foam. I did a little over a 1/4 of the can in the Vacuum Hose, (just a few oz. at a time), and put 3/4 a can in the Fuel Tank. I had to go apologize to some people walking down the road along with my neighbor whom was outside. When I backed out of the drive way and went to the towards the end of the neighborhood where I could then get on it, I smoked out the whole neighborhood so bad I couldn't see anything behind me, so that must mean positive results because I'm sure it was cleaning something out!

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Awesome! Glad you got it fixed. :)

Appreciate that! Appreciate your input also! Now only one last thing to fix and it should be good as new.

I have to have the speedo re-programmed. 265's threw the speedo off by about 3 mph. Although, now having cruise it would be much more livable on the highway with the speedo off 3mph. It was a pita trying to watch speed, with the speedo off, and also not being able to use cruise.

You know how much this runs by chance?