Throttle body cleaning major improvements with shifting 09-12

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mohamed Albana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
IMG_0660.jpeg

For all my ppl with the OG charger lookin 1500s around 09-12 with 5/6 speed. I know newer ones come with em but Canbus is just different(not so smart).

My truck would clunk into gear sometimes, sometimes hold first a little longer ,surge (idle,drive,AC idle) , inconsistent power band throughout at times. And just one time stalled in drive thru hot idle at 500rpm it just stumbled with 30sec of what appeared to sound like valvtrain Racket 30 secs prior( scared **** outta me) started right back up tho quiet

Cleaning the IAT and switching out to a dry flow k&n cone instead of oiled was a bandaid. But cleaning the throttle body ,boy oh boy made it night and day. The truck is way more seamless and predictable. Throttle is there

The goo was concerningly thick spraying electrical cleaner only softened it, I moved the plate a little to remove hard crud line aswell as any other deposits near hinge with q-tip. I didnt get an after photo but it was shiny after lots of passes. (Gasket was very healthy)

After I performed a ETC relearn with alpha obd and let it idle for a little. The truck now starts more natural and has more ranges in throttle noise like it was compensating VVT before. I conditioned the belt and sprayed alternator with its cleaner prior to this job because this isn’t a mall crawler. It made it quieter all around

Fluid is clean but I’m dropping pan soon also plugs it’s at 130k It won’t hurt either I love this truck I’m 20 and some redneck painted on stripes which made it cheap. I’ve put 40k on it

Attachments

• IMG_0661.jpeg
    IMG_0661.jpeg
    94.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0005.jpeg
    IMG_0005.jpeg
    189.2 KB · Views: 24

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Very cool. Love when simple fixes make major improvements.

I do have to agree about the stripes. That color is definitely not working.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
View attachment 526062

For all my ppl with the OG charger lookin 1500s around 09-12 with 5/6 speed. I know newer ones come with em but Canbus is just different(not so smart).

My truck would clunk into gear sometimes, sometimes hold first a little longer ,surge (idle,drive,AC idle) , inconsistent power band throughout at times. And just one time stalled in drive thru hot idle at 500rpm it just stumbled with 30sec of what appeared to sound like valvtrain Racket 30 secs prior( scared **** outta me) started right back up tho quiet

Cleaning the IAT and switching out to a dry flow k&n cone instead of oiled was a bandaid. But cleaning the throttle body ,boy oh boy made it night and day. The truck is way more seamless and predictable. Throttle is there

The goo was concerningly thick spraying electrical cleaner only softened it, I moved the plate a little to remove hard crud line aswell as any other deposits near hinge with q-tip. I didnt get an after photo but it was shiny after lots of passes. (Gasket was very healthy)

After I performed a ETC relearn with alpha obd and let it idle for a little. The truck now starts more natural and has more ranges in throttle noise like it was compensating VVT before. I conditioned the belt and sprayed alternator with its cleaner prior to this job because this isn’t a mall crawler. It made it quieter all around

Fluid is clean but I’m dropping pan soon also plugs it’s at 130k It won’t hurt either I love this truck I’m 20 and some redneck painted on stripes which made it cheap. I’ve put 40k on it
Good work! I'd caution that a contributing factor for the throttle body being gummed up was the use of the K&N filter. Check out Project Farm's filter review on YouTube to see what I mean...

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It made worlds of difference with mine as well.