Needing a little help, P0740

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ronan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well.......... I took the truck down to OC from Long Island this last week. On the way down I had no issues. About three days ago we went out to dinner and threw a cel, ended up being p0740, TCC solenoid circuit/open. So I reset it , all good until now 100* on the way home it came on again. Feel a little slipping. Reset it again. Temps getting up to 200* and as high as 215*. Set the cruise to 73 mph and temps are holding ~190-205*. Gotta get home. At a diner now in Jersey letting her rest:(
Does anyone have any info on diagnosis for this. Like where is the solenoid??? Do I need a new TC ,only around 13k on the present one ,edge w/3000. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT!!!! Thank you all in advance. Please let me know if I forgot anything..

OP
OP
Ronan

Ronan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Made it home!!!! Now where do I start.....I don't want to tear into this thing blind.... From what I have read the solenoid is inside the pan w/ the valve body, which is fairly easy to get to, the other hand says it's the TC which is a little more of a pain. Really want to do it myself to save some coin. Are there any better options I should look into before I sink more $ into this tranny. Like L&M for instance, what do their trannies run, cost wise. This is the second issue I'm having with this six speed. First time was my fault , not knowing its weak points, but since the new tranny I've been religiously watching my shifting and WOT runs. So this fault is unknown. STESSING OUT ..... And it's Sunday to boot

Last edited:

Jerseymike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I blew my first trans in less than a year at 18k miles. These six speeds suck. When you say temps at 200, are you talking oil/coolant or trans temps? So, just to start easy and cheap I would triple check the fluid level. Sometimes the simple answer works. After that I would call Edge or Mike at L & M. Try and determine if the code is caused by a slipping TQ or solenoid problem. I called Mike when my trans blew and he advised me to have it rebuilt by the dealer since it is still under warranty(new trans still going strong after 2 years). If it is the solenoid, the dealer can replace under your 5 year/100k mile warranty. But if it is the TQ, you may want to put the stock one back in.

OP
OP
Ronan

Ronan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Those are tranny temps, I blew my first one @30k , after which I installed an edge 3000k stall. Haven't had any issues until now. I did check the fluid and I'm going to check it again now. I don't think dealer will cover it with that stall in it. How can I tell which is causing the code. It feels like it's slipping in the higher gears ,which is what I think is generating all the heat. Not to mention the heat wave we are in. But couldn't that be from the solenoid??? Not sure how to tell.... Also is L&M located in jersey??? That's all I can find on google, would you happen to have any contact info??

OP
OP
Ronan

Ronan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bueller..........
Bueller...................

Jerseymike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I'm back went out for a while. Those are some high trans temps. I drove up to High Point, NJ last week when it was 98 degrees, the bed was full of camping gear and firewood, I was doing 90 mph and the trans got up to 160 and freaked me out a little. It usually runs around 140 even when its this hot out.

L & M Customs is in Middletown, DE. Contact Mike @ 410 570 5093. He goes by MGH on the forums. That number is from two years ago,so not sure if it is still good.

Could be the TQ slipping in and out of lockup. Would think you would get a 5th or 6th gear code if they were slipping.

Jerseymike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey. There is a guy close to you. AJ at Hemituner. He is big on the Challenger forums. Seems to mostly build motors but you can give him a call since he is local. Never talked to him but he has a really good rep.

HEMITUNER Performance
100 Dale Street
West Babylon, NY 11704

Call: 516-603-9276

BlueRT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
P0740 - TCC Out Of Range

When the Transmission is in 2nd gear through 5th gear, the Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) will engage when certain conditions are met. The L/R-TCC piston is electronically modulated by increasing the duty cycle of the L/R-TCC solenoid until the torque converter slip difference (difference between engine and transmission input speed) is within 60 rpm. The L/R-TCC solenoid is then fully energized (FEMCC – 100% duty cycle). Torque converter slip is monitored in FEMCC to ensure adequate clutch capacity.
Set Conditions:

• Transmission is in EMCC.
• Input shaft speed more than 1,750 rpm.
• L/R-TCC Solenoid achieves the maximum duty cycle and can not pull engine speed within 60 rpm of input speed.

NOTE: This DTC can take up to five minutes of problem identification before illuminating the MIL.

RELATED DTC P0750 PRESENT
L/R-TCC SOLENOID
TCC SWITCH VALVE STUCK
TCC REGULATOR VALVE STUCK
INPUT SHAFT SEAL RING CUT
TORQUE CONVERTER AND/OR INTERNAL TRANSMISSION

Hope this helps. Good luck!

OP
OP
Ronan

Ronan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you guys for all the help, I'm gonna call both of them today , AJ is only 20 min from me so that is pretty awesome. Drove around town yesterday and beat the crap out of it a little bit and couldn't get it to slip??????? No cel , feels normal.... But I know it's f*cked.... I used to run around 140-160 at the highest before the stall, after the stall was around 140-180 hitting any higher only when I beat her.. 200+ is not good , even with the full load I wouldn't want to see it that high. Hoping I didn't burn up any internals. Might just be reason enough to get a fully worked tranny.....

wyo.hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had this code come on driving home from the damn dealer. Had them look at but it reset itself and they could not replicate the code. 2 months fast forwarded to today, same code that didn't reset itself. Took it to the dealer and somehow I had about 2 weeks of the factory 5yr/100yr powertrain so they are replacing the torque converter, clutch solenoid, and fluids. I have 85k miles.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca