Please Help. 5.7 mds cam and lifter replaced now sounds like a typewriter.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rwitt18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2014 dodge ram 1500 5.7
(Backstory)
Had lifter chirp soon as i noticed it i parked it. Tore down had #6 lifter with a little slack and little wear to cam. I got oem cam lifters, push rods and gaskets. Soaked lifters 2 days done the swap. Started up sounded like type writer ran great no lights drove it 20 or 30 miles changed oil pennzoil platinum 5w 20 mobil 1 filter i have noticed while driving when mds kicks in valve rattle stops soon as it kicks off typewriter again. Runs drives perfect hooked up snap on scan tool ran cam crank relearn along with every test and reset i can run they all passed. It is absolutely not a exhaust leak i am a fairly experienced mechanic mostly racing sbc and fords so not dodge experienced or mds experienced. Oil pressure 58psi at start up 42psi at idle at 200 degrees oil temp. Changed rails and rockers just to see if it changed. It did not scoped down looked at lifters none seems to be collapsed all up at keepers without push rods installed. Checked torque on rails multiple times done in order center out. I am at a loss my observation is mds lifters doesn’t seem to want to prime up like need be but could be wrong. Again runs and drives great other than sounds like a typewriter till mds kicks the lifters out then she is pretty quite. any ideas appreciated.

Parts replaced:
Vvt oem cam
Mds oem lifters
melling stock length push rods
Timing chain tensioner
Vvt solenoid
Spark plugs
Coil packs
Rails and rockers

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Surely should have pimped up and stabilized after 30 miles.

Double / triple verified lifter positions?

Was head gasket OEM or a thicker after market?

Don't remember which maker, but some of those after market pushrods are available in very small increments of length changes for the serious motor heads doing HiPo builds..

Just a couple of thoughts

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Did you cup the pushrods correctly? each one you hear the click, and then not touch them when putting engine back together? It is the number one issue with tick after work similar to this, actually happens all the time.