Needs new headlight / housing etc 2005 3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

glamisduner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
So this truck has the original headlights and some HID balasts and bulbs. The headlight housings lenses are super damaged from the sun and one of the bulbs or ballasts just stopped working. The high beams have never worked, I think because of the headlight conversion. What are my options? These days I can hardly see even with the HID lights, and I would like to get my high beams back too. Is there some sort of decent headlight kit out there for this truck? I was thinking to go with LED headlights but I want high and low to still work. Is a better housing for the headlights than the terrible stock ones? I'm willing to spend some money to get something decent.
Thanks!

Are these any good? Will they just plug in and work if I remove the HID kit?

What about something cheaper like this?

What about something allot cheaper like these?

I'm good with running some wires etc as long as the install isn't too complicated and the fit / quality is decent.

Thanks in adavance!

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Many members are happy with Alpharex headlights, their Nova and Luxx series are all LEDs where as the Pro series use halogen. You can put LED bulbs in the Pro series but people report the Luxx series has better output.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nova or Luxx, the cheaper lights you end up having to buy another hid kit to make them bright and then issues can crop up from the poor quality projectors.

OP
OP
G

glamisduner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Are these just plug and play? Like I can just remove this HID stuff and plug these in and I won't need any cancle kits etc?

OP
OP
G

glamisduner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Ok I got these installed, but for some reason when I hookup the running light wire the running lights never shut off. I even disconnected the gray wire tap from the fuse box and there is no difference. Actually the fuse box wire tap that these lights come with does not plug in according to the directions as the wire coming off of it bottoms out on the relays behind it.

The lights seem to work without the running light wire, but when I tap the highbeams and then turn them off sometimes the headlights shut off for a second, flicker, then come back on. Also when I shut the lights off, sometimes they stay on and I have to turn them back on and then off again.

Here is a link tot he directions:
https://www.alpharexusa.com/installation-guide-for-02-05-dodge-ram-1500-headlights/ (yea it says 1500 but I guess it's the same).

This picture shows the relay or taller fuse that prevents me from installing the tap.
1677174976322.png

The next pitcture in the directions convieniently shows the guys finger in front of where the tap is supposed to go.

1677175285772.png
The fuse tap basically looks like this, and as you can see the wire sticks out the side and hit the relay or the fuse since they stick up above the mini fuses:
1677175836461.png

Anyone have any tips on installing these correctly? Should I just leave the running light wire disconnected and the tap undone and deal with the issues?
If it stops raining I'll try to grab a picture showing the issue with the fuse, although, I don't think the fuse thing will solve the issue with the running lights staying on when plugging in the running light wire.

Last edited: