New 2018 3500 6.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmbl-bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just purchased my first diesel truck. Worked in oil and gas for 35 years driving mainly Ford 3/4 ton gas trucks. My new truck has 500 miles on it. Going to tow my 32' camper approx. 800 miles one way for a few month trip to get out of cold weather. By the time I get back home I would estimate the truck will have around 4,000 miles on it. Wondering if I should change my oil before my trip. The truck sat on the dealership's lot for about a year before I purchased it.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Congrats on the new truck and welcome to RamForum.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
According to the manual, there isnt any reason to change your oil quite yet. They kinda state you shouldnt tow till after a 1000 miles or so, as a break in routine. But the interval on the oil changes is listed as 15K miles. To each his own on that rule, I dont put a lot of miles on my trucks normally. My 3500 is used mainly just to tow my fifth wheel RV as well only. I usually change the oil yearly for myself, as I barely can rack up maybe 5k miles of use normally.

ticat928

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just purchased my first diesel truck. Worked in oil and gas for 35 years driving mainly Ford 3/4 ton gas trucks. My new truck has 500 miles on it. Going to tow my 32' camper approx. 800 miles one way for a few month trip to get out of cold weather. By the time I get back home I would estimate the truck will have around 4,000 miles on it. Wondering if I should change my oil before my trip. The truck sat on the dealership's lot for about a year before I purchased it.

Manual says to change oil once a year, sitting on dealers lot many start ups and just idling never getting to operating temperature.

Mine sat on lot for year as well, hour meter showed 5hrs run time, 4 of which were at idle.
I changed oil at 700 miles but not filter.

will have dealer change oil and filter once oil life is at 25%

My 2018 6.7 is running exceptionally well.

Towing a trailer will help break in.
6.7 needs to be loaded to seat and seal rings well

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The owners' manual states the Cummins is ready to work, no break-in required. There is a 500-mile break-in required for the axels and differential before towing.