New 2018 ram 2500/ warranty questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brandon32689

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So the last week or so i have been looking at going with a ram 2500. I have tossed the idea of gas vs diesel and new vs used. I play to get a toy hauler but still won't put a ton of miles on it. Well saturday i finally bought a truck. Found a new 2018 ram 2500 4x4 crew cab for 40,800.

I drove 5.5 hours to pick this up and make a deal. Had a few hiccups before we got to the finance ppl. The sales ppl tried to add some etch **** and some vip advantage **** and tried to charge me for spray in bed liner but it was already on the window sticker. So past all that we got it back to the 40,800 and my trade straightened out and off to financing ppl. The typical pushy financy guys first numbers where no where close so we negotiated for about 30 min. He keeps pushing tjis after market warranty saying the factory dodge one is not that good. That the 5 year 100k powertrain is not that good and that this one will be in the end 5 year 100k bumper to bumper. The company is aul corp. Well i have good credit but he still keeps coming at me with over 6 intrest rate as well.finally he tells me if i take the warranty he will get me a better rate and he goes down on the warranty from his first price at this time i take or and the 4.8 rate and leave. I know i can cancel warranty within first 30 days for full refund to the account. So my question is. What's your experience with the factory warranty and aftermarket. I baby my vehicles and do not hot rod them. I also dont plan to modify this truck in any way other than some running boards. This is a diesel and i know things are expensive to fix so i am debating keep it or refund it?

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
I refunded every single after market protection plan. I had the paint protection plan, the scratch and dent plan, and the maintenance plan.

The paint protect plan was a 5 year one and covered elemental fading only.

The dent plan only covered up to 75 bucks pointless dent repair and if any body molding had to be removed like the tailgate cap, it wouldn't cover it, so I refunded that. I've got a dent guy that charges me about 100 bucks for dings and he is an artist. Fix 2 so far and one of them was my fault lol. Have a 3rd I need to get done.

The maintenance plan had their oil change intervals every 2k miles. Like seriously? The truck can go 7500 per change. 6.4l hemi power wagon.

Anyways, I say refund it. My ex works for a dodge dealership and those warranty companies do everything they can to no approve a claim.

It will require a cancelation in writing and can take some time before its refunded back to the loan. Like a couple months. Just make sure you follow up with the finance people and let them know to keep an eye out.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

ScrubsR1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
That price is incredible for a new diesel. What trim package? Tradesman?

I'm happy for you man, you made the right choice. Makes me sick to think about what I paid for my '17 with the 6.4 which I utterly despise.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Read your factory warranty to see what is excluded and what your deductible, if any, will be.

Do the same thing with the aftermarket warranty.

Then go look at the terms of the MOPAR factory direct extended "MaxCare" warranty.

Now compare those three warranties and pick an extended warranty.

The combination of factory 5/100 and the MaxCare warranties covers you for everything except wear items, damage or abuse with a small deductible.

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This kind of crap is why you should set up financing before going to the dealer. I would refund the warranty... Last time my wife convinced my to buy a 3rd party the company went under and we got nothing. That was the last extended warranty we ever bought(almost 20 years ago now)

If you do have good credit, check with a local credit Union about refinancing it... We got 3.04 on my used 2018 last month. that would be a huge difference.

OP
OP
B

Brandon32689

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.04 % is awesome i was happy with the 4.8 as well. I did look at mopar max warranty and its cheaper than i paid for the one i got. This guy claims it covers wear and tear items though.

I will probably cancel and just go a different route

Scrub yes i just got the tradesman but that's all i need.

OP
OP
B

Brandon32689

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This kind of crap is why you should set up financing before going to the dealer. I would refund the warranty... Last time my wife convinced my to buy a 3rd party the company went under and we got nothing. That was the last extended warranty we ever bought(almost 20 years ago now)

If you do have good credit, check with a local credit Union about refinancing it... We got 3.04 on my used 2018 last month. that would be a huge difference.

Man i thought about lining up my own but i worked on this deal for like a week and finally decided to go do it i just figured i have good credit i can get good rates and its a huge dealership they will take care of me.

OP
OP
B

Brandon32689

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Read your factory warranty to see what is excluded and what your deductible, if any, will be.

Do the same thing with the aftermarket warranty.

Then go look at the terms of the MOPAR factory direct extended "MaxCare" warranty.

Now compare those three warranties and pick an extended warranty.

The combination of factory 5/100 and the MaxCare warranties covers you for everything except wear items, damage or abuse with a small deductible.

Do you have any experience with the mopar one?

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Absolutely! Sounds like a few people here should really look into refinancing. I too accepted a high interest rate to "make the deal" and then simply just refinanced with my local credit union. The "best" the dealer could set me up with was a 5.62% interest rate, my local credit union got me 2.75%. I've always had my financing through my credit union lined up prior to making the deal, but this last truck I got the deal I wanted and then quickly got the loan I really wanted as well. Agree with you that if people have good credit they should really look into refinancing.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Scrub, let me give you a little different prospective on this Incredible Deal.

It's currently mid October, which means in a couple of months, that's going to be a used 2 year old plain Jane truck. Kelly Blue Book is brutal. What's that truck going to be worth January 1?

When guys buy a new vehicle, they're always quick to tell you what the price was. Funny thing is, they NEVER tell you what they traded in. You'll never hear what their payment is, and how long they'll be making that payment.

The only Incredible deal is when you don't trade anything thing in, you pay cash, and don't get an extended warranty. <All of that is very doable. I bought my last 3 vehicles that way.

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
Price out Maxcare. It’s just like the factory bumper to bumper. Except you pay a 1 or 2 hundred $ deductible, you decide which plan you want. I’ve made three claims on mine so far, and I haven’t even hit 55k.. It’s absolutely no hassle at any dealer. You’ve got until 4 years or 48k miles to buy it.

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
Scrub, let me give you a little different prospective on this Incredible Deal.

It's currently mid October, which means in a couple of months, that's going to be a used 2 year old plain Jane truck. Kelly Blue Book is brutal. What's that truck going to be worth January 1?

When guys buy a new vehicle, they're always quick to tell you what the price was. Funny thing is, they NEVER tell you what they traded in. You'll never hear what their payment is, and how long they'll be making that payment.

The only Incredible deal is when you don't trade anything thing in, you pay cash, and don't get an extended warranty. <All of that is very doable. I bought my last 3 vehicles that way.
I've always told what my payments are and interest rate. I got pre approved through navy federal credit union for 66k at 6.44% for 84 months. Comes out to 982 a month. I'm paying 985. No trade in.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
I have mastertech warranty on my truck. Used it once so far. Replaced front hub. Simple $100 and was all done. They didn’t hassle for repairs or anything weird. Time will tell if it was worth it.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mike, you will pay $82,488 for your truck. Nice truck, but ouch.

22, it wasn't "A simple $100". You left out the price of the warranty, plus finance charges, if any.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine

22, it wasn't "A simple $100". You left out the price of the warranty, plus finance charges, if any.
I was speaking in terms of usability and the ease of the process. I’m well aware what it cost

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi

Yep. And that's what a truck costs with interest. The average truck payment today is anywhere from 700-1000 bucks. I knew going in what I would be paying and what it would cost. I dont plan on getting another vehicle so until this one dies I'll drive my money's worth out of it

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Yep. And that's what a truck costs with interest. The average truck payment today is anywhere from 700-1000 bucks. I knew going in what I would be paying and what it would cost. I dont plan on getting another vehicle so until this one dies I'll drive my money's worth out of it

I think he assumed we didn’t know how to do math lol.

OP
OP
B

Brandon32689

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will look into the mopar bumper to bumper warranty once i get this one canceled. I did finance but did put money down and always try to pay off my vehicles early. I always put extra on my payments and pay lump sums when I get my bonuses. But my question is about the warranty.

I did look for s used truck for a while and in my area i was finding 2017 models same truck but 75k plus miles for 34k so new just made sense for me with the oem warranty and knowing someone has not dogged the vehicle.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
22, don't put words in my mouth. I m perfectly capable of getting myself into enough trouble without help. Lol

I did the math for myself. I was just shocked, that's all....

It's a fabulous truck. I'd love to have one. There's just no way I could ever justify that kind of money for a personal vehicle.