New 2nd Gen Guy saying Hello from NC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoeCamel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Retired Air Force (yeah don't rag me I made they same pay as all the others) now employed with the dreaded DMV (another not too well thought out career decision) and just enjoy tinkering. And now for my new tinker project.

Well my brother-in-law (he's not so bad) gave me a Dodge Ram 1500. It's a 95, 5.9 Magnum (yeah the model before OBDII, so I get to wear out the ignition switch) standard cab, log bed SLT Laramie with the infamous dash (or lack there of), 132000 miles, 4wd, 46rh tranny. The body needs a little work, the interior needs a make over (waiting on Garage Squad to show up) and the drive train is intact, almost. Below is the deal.

OK I am stumped!! Replaced plenum and gasket with Hughes kit, new cap, rotor, plugs (gapped to 35) and wires, new fuel pump, new fuel injectors, new O2 sensor, and new coil. Did the TSB for ignition wire routing.

The only codes I receive are 12 (battery recently disconnected) and 55 (end of codes).

I know you all of getting tired of the post "my Magnum stumbles, hard to start, runs rough, misfires, etc. but, I do not what else to do. The only things I come up with are Idle Air Control Valve, camshaft position sensor, crankshaft position sensor, egr valve, and throttle position sensor.

Just hoping one of you 2nd Gen "Magnum Yoda's" can give me some info or something to look for. Maybe do the "Yoda Mind Thing".

Plan on making this a daily driver. It has the bones, just can't get past this 5.9 Magnum "Gremlin thing".

Anyway, been enjoying lurking around looking and reading. Tons of helpful info and very much appreciated! Thanks and any thoughts you have to correct this Magnum will be received with a welcome.

RodeoRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome to the forum from a little bit north of you.

Dad has my 2001 5.9 now. Sometimes it's something simple like putting the air filter box back on right. It seemed like every time I had mine off to clean the throttle body, replace the air filter, tune ups, what have you, I couldn't get that dang thing on the throttle body right the first time. It would run rough and throw codes, but you could hear air sucking in around the gasket. It only took learning the first time to know what it was so it was back under the hood with the 10 mm socket to try again.

DodgeLady

Military
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L
Retired Air Force (yeah don't rag me I made they same pay as all the others) now employed with the dreaded DMV (another not too well thought out career decision) and just enjoy tinkering. And now for my new tinker project.

Well my brother-in-law (he's not so bad) gave me a Dodge Ram 1500. It's a 95, 5.9 Magnum (yeah the model before OBDII, so I get to wear out the ignition switch) standard cab, log bed SLT Laramie with the infamous dash (or lack there of), 132000 miles, 4wd, 46rh tranny. The body needs a little work, the interior needs a make over (waiting on Garage Squad to show up) and the drive train is intact, almost. Below is the deal.

OK I am stumped!! Replaced plenum and gasket with Hughes kit, new cap, rotor, plugs (gapped to 35) and wires, new fuel pump, new fuel injectors, new O2 sensor, and new coil. Did the TSB for ignition wire routing.

The only codes I receive are 12 (battery recently disconnected) and 55 (end of codes).

I know you all of getting tired of the post "my Magnum stumbles, hard to start, runs rough, misfires, etc. but, I do not what else to do. The only things I come up with are Idle Air Control Valve, camshaft position sensor, crankshaft position sensor, egr valve, and throttle position sensor.

Just hoping one of you 2nd Gen "Magnum Yoda's" can give me some info or something to look for. Maybe do the "Yoda Mind Thing".

Plan on making this a daily driver. It has the bones, just can't get past this 5.9 Magnum "Gremlin thing".

Anyway, been enjoying lurking around looking and reading. Tons of helpful info and very much appreciated! Thanks and any thoughts you have to correct this Magnum will be received with a welcome.

Welcome to the Forum! My 5.9 had the “stumble” for years. Happened only once in a while , got more frequent then less frequent. Didn’t throw any codes!
Tried all kinds of things to fix it. Replaced fuel pump, IAC, cleaned throttle body, new plug wires, new plugs. In the mean time the alternator went bad and rear diff had to be rebuilt. Nothing fixed it. Anyway, long story short...the engine just died one day on the freeway and it was diagnosed as a bad ( either camshaft or crankshaft - can’t remember which) position sensor. I had both of those replaced along with the distributor cap and my truck (March TOTM !![emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]) has been running GREAT. No more stumbles!!
2f352065b5e26e0e2a966c2455181cc0.jpg
Good luck with your classic Gen 2!
P.S. My engine has 330k miles!

I replaced my dashboard, too!
68c6146caf9380f656528cb74b113900.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: