New 3/4 Diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Prather Burnett

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I’ve been looking for a new pickup need honest input.

I’ve narrowed my search down between a XLT F-250 and a SLT Ram 2500. Comparable trims and options (luxury packages, 4x4, crew cab, wheel to wheel steps, etc).

What are the common problems that Ram has been dealing with over the past few years?

Why would I want Ram over Ford?

Have you noticed any quality issues recently? (Mechanical and/or cosmetic)

What do you hate about your truck and why did you look past it when buying Ram?

Thanks

BlkZrx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 SLT Std. cab
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I test drove both, back to back. Ride quality and noise in the cab was consideraly better in the Ram. Much nicer interior and priced better..

RamIt2017

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Diesel
I agree with BlkZrx....

The only negative that I have is the Nav not coming with a 50K $$$ truck. It's 600 from a dealer and just kind of annoying. Other than that...I personally would never drive a different truck. This thing will last longer than you have on this earth if you treat it right. Ram just does it better than others.

pullin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I just upgraded from a Ram 1500 (quadcab) to a diesel 2500 crew longbed. I've had a Ford diesel f250, and a chevy crew/long C3500 in the past. The Rams have a noticeably better ride. On the highway there is no discernable ride difference between my 1500 and my 2500 (I have 1200 miles on the new truck so far). We test drove the new Ford F250 and my wife vetoed it after a few miles. We're both in our sixties and the ride was simply too rough.

She also pointed out that, at least for us, the Dodge was the most reliable truck we've had so far (they are all probably better, but I haven't returned to the other brands to find out).

FWIW: There were no problems with the old truck, but my new boat weighs 12,500 lbs on the trailer and I couldn't pull it with a half ton.

I don't really hate anything about the truck, but I can name a few things I wish were different.

1. The knobs for radio, fan, and 4WD are all close and the same shape. This is a poor design IMO as it makes it too easy to accidentally select 4WD when you intended to turn up the volume. I work in cockpit design though, so I may be more critical than most of switch placement.

2. The lighting at night is a little primitive. It seems I'm driving a vehicle from the 1990s, rather than a 2017 model. This isn't a deal breaker, but it seems they could modernize it some. Also, in certain situations, streetlights can reflect the top of the dash onto the windshield in a way the reduces visibility. I don't recall this happening with my other trucks.

3. The diesel has no gas cap (just a check valve slightly inside the fill tube). I think this is just plain stupid. I don't know is this is just the diesel or all new Rams. I ordered my own online for about 20 bucks.

4. The fuel fill tube apparently has two check valves (metal spring-loaded flappers that seal the tube). If a new owner isn't warned to insert the fuel nozzle all the way in, he will find that either: a) the fuel pump shuts off instantly or, b) he has to clean spilled diesel fuel. This isn't a problem once you know how to fill it, but Dodge should warn new users about this. I've already found that one station's protective backsplash ring (I don't know what else to call it - the circular plastic disk between your hand and the actual nozzle) makes it difficult to get the fuel nozzle all the way in.

Again, none of these are deal-breakers, and I'm sure I'd find a similar-sized list of gripes about any brand. You asked, and these are the small things I don't like about the truck.

Best of luck with your new purchase.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I agree with BlkZrx....

The only negative that I have is the Nav not coming with a 50K $$$ truck. It's 600 from a dealer and just kind of annoying. Other than that...I personally would never drive a different truck. This thing will last longer than you have on this earth if you treat it right. Ram just does it better than others.

Save your money on the Nav- they are junk. Gave up on mine years ago and just use my handheld Tom Tom.

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I agree on the Nav should be std. and also not very good, what I use it a lot for is just to see a map of the area. That way if traffic sucks I can see what street to duck down.

I’ve punched in the same location twice, and it would give me a different route one time than another, with the starting point being the same.

Doublebit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've owned several Powestrokes, a Duramax and a Ram Eco... all good trucks for me. I just picked up an '18 CC 2500 CTD and have a few early thoughts:

1. Convex portion of TT mirrors is distracting and annoying (not enough differentiation between the flat field and the convex field) - Fords and Chevys were better designed.

2. For a DIYer, changing the oil filter is a sloppy PITA - again, an annoyance not a deal-breaker.

3. The bed is not as durable as those on my Fords (when they were steel) and my Chevys. What's with the cheap stamped through holes where the hold down hooks are - cheesy! Dents easily.

4. TPMS is a major irritant (can't shut off or adjust) when you don't have a load on and want to air down to make for a more ride. There appears to be a somewhat complicated work-around for this.

5. Badging is so large and gaudy as to to detract from the looks of the truck from EVERY angle - may be just my aesthetic sensibilities ;-)

6. NAV system is not up to contemporary standards - I opted out in favor of my phone and Garmin.

7. Inadequate low beam performance that has launched myriad aftermarket suppliers of Dodge-specific solutions.

8. No legitimate fuel cap as mentioned above.

9. My automatic climate control "wanders" noticeably more than on my Fords/Chevys, requiring manual intervention from time to time in colder weather. Haven't owned truck through warm season yet, so don't know if this is also a summer thing.

Overall like the truck, but they fall short on sweating the (basic) details - consistent with the Dodge/Chrysler/Fiat bloodline.

Last edited:

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I think auto manufacturers are going the capless route as I’ve seen & heard other people complain about them.

Even if the directions from the navigation suck, it’s still nice to see the roads on the screen.

I have no issues with the mirrors, but my wife had your concern as well when we drove to NOLA this past summer.

TiBoneFramer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Anyone know if the powerstroke is louder than the cummins from inside the cab on new models? I do love how you can still hear the cummins and turbo!

Summit1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
...3. The diesel has no gas cap (just a check valve slightly inside the fill tube). I think this is just plain stupid. I don't know is this is just the diesel or all new Rams. I ordered my own online for about 20 bucks.

4. The fuel fill tube apparently has two check valves (metal spring-loaded flappers that seal the tube). If a new owner isn't warned to insert the fuel nozzle all the way in, he will find that either: a) the fuel pump shuts off instantly or, b) he has to clean spilled diesel fuel. This isn't a problem once you know how to fill it, but Dodge should warn new users about this. I've already found that one station's protective backsplash ring (I don't know what else to call it - the circular plastic disk between your hand and the actual nozzle) makes it difficult to get the fuel nozzle all the way in...

I almost immediately bought a green billet aluminum cap for my 2017 Laramie 2500. The innermost check valve is a pain and requires an extended nozzle for the "No-Spill" fuel can.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye