New Bed liner - Slight bulge?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

af2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 1500 i bought didn't come with a bed liner, but i talked the dealership to install a RAM brand name plastic liner (the standard kind you see on lots of trucks, not spray on).

I noticed just below the rear window (the little window that opens electronically) the bedliner has a slight bulge in the plastic. if you push on it, it flattens out and looks normal. i asked the dealership and they said its because it has to adjust to being in the truck because it was stored and has to 'flex'.

is this true? how long do i wait to see if the bulge flattens out? its about 10" wide and again, if you push on it gently, it flattens out. kind of like a bubble.

U1arunit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's probably just from storage or shipping. Let it out in the heat for a bit and it'll relax and straighten out.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If you have a heat gun you can use that to heat it up and then flatten it.

Just hold the piece that is heated down with a flat item until it cools.

lobsterbake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Turbo Diesel 6.7
Go to Linex and get one sprayed as the plastic drop ins will rub the bed paint off and cause rust. I recommend the Linex Premium as it has UV protection and will look new for years. It will be the best $500 you spend on your truck and you can see how good it looks. Just my 2 cents - good luck.

E85E2FD8-57F4-45C3-9B60-AFC84D7B3859.jpeg

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
As stated, let it sit in the hot sun and it will smooth out.

TatertotScott

The man, the myth, the legend, the one and only!
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Go to Linex and get one sprayed as the plastic drop ins will rub the bed paint off and cause rust. I recommend the Linex Premium as it has UV protection and will look new for years. It will be the best $500 you spend on your truck and you can see how good it looks. Just my 2 cents - good luck.

View attachment 141525
Please don't spread misinterpreted information and leave out important facts.

Wherever the liner rubs paint, it will also rub off rust. Simple physics.

Now, to properly install spray in, you must scuff/strip the entire bed. Now you have a spray in that arguably looks better new, cost 2-5 times more, provides almost no impact protection, is hell on knees, and will chip/peel if ever used hard in any constant manner, such as being used more than weekly for dirt/gravel hauling.

If you don't plan to actually USE the bed for truck stuff, the spray in is nice. If you do plan to use the bed, especially when drops or shovel are involved, the drop in is superior. The first time you spend 5-10 minutes to take it out and clean underneath, roll on some cheap bedliner (herculiner, duplicolor, etc.) And you will not have any significant issues.

I used to run a sandblast shop that did the prep for multiple spray in companies, and have worked on many. The bedliner "issue" generally stems from lack of simple maintenance (cleaning underneath periodically) causing debris the rub between the liner and the painted bed.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

lobsterbake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Turbo Diesel 6.7
Lol tatertotscott - glad you feel better.

Last edited:

TatertotScott

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah.. about that physics part...

What caused that rust again? Yhe rubbing bedliner, or debris never being washed out?

Again, use some common sense and maintain your ****.

The standard answer of Linex won't rust is plain ignorant.

It also won't protect the bed from impact, is killer on knees, peels/chips fairly easily (depending on brand), doesn't provide board notches, fades (again depending on brand).....

To each his own, but my recommendation is spend significantly less, get better protection, do a small amount of maintenance periodically.

TatertotScott

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Lol tatertotscott - glad you feel better.
About what? I simply pointed out the fallacy of your statement, the cherry-picked story posted to the highly reputable youtube notwithstanding.

lobsterbake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Turbo Diesel 6.7
Linex has a lifetime warranty, won’t fade for years if ever if you get the Linex Premium and seals out air and prevents rust as a result. Your words simply aren’t based in reality. It is great you love your drop in, but Linex is a vastly superior product which lasts a lifetime and 100% prevents rust as it seals out any air or water penetration which a drop in can’t do and this is why rust forms in combo with the paint being rubbed off when using a drop in. Linex will not peel or chip and is tough as nails. If there is ever an issue you have the lifetime warranty so really a no brainer. I have absolutely no ties to Linex - just my third truck with it and sold n the product as it works. If you own a drop in bed liner you will get rust eventually and if you have Linex you won’t - just a fact.

TatertotScott

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Linex has a lifetime warranty, won’t fade for years if ever if you get the Linex Premium and seals out air and prevents rust as a result. Your words simply aren’t based in reality. It is great you love your drop in, but Linex is a vastly superior product which lasts a lifetime and 100% prevents rust as it seals out any air or water penetration which a drop in can’t do and this is why rust forms in combo with the paint being rubbed off when using a drop in. Linex will not peel or chip and is tough as nails. If there is ever an issue you have the lifetime warranty so really a no brainer. I have absolutely no ties to Linex - just my third truck with it and sold n the product as it works. If you own a drop in bed liner you will get rust eventually and if you have Linex you won’t - just a fact.
Not disputing that drop ins won't prevent rust the way linex does. Just tired of the insinuation that it is vastly superior (not you specifically, but in general). The rusting is about the only advantage over a drop in (perhaps also the sliding). Everything else is in favor of the drop in...just a fact.