New blood

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fisherman Dan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
hey gang. new guy here. just traded in my 2015 ecodiesel for a 2019 1500 warlock. the ecodiesel was a great truck for the 240,000 km i owned it. had some brakes and bearings pending, payments were done, prices were right and diesel prices are high so i made the switch.
went from a tuned ED with a 3.92 rear end to a hemi with a 3.21 rear. totally different animal. loved the diesel...so far not totally loving the hemi. not near the grunt down low as the ED, but plenty of power at highway speeds and beyond. on the ED i ran 34" toyos with a 2.5 " lift and got 9-10L/100km all year long. still running the same tires/wheels and now getting about 13.8-14L/100km. so a pretty big difference there. i havent pulled the boat yet due to all the boat ramps closed here in ontario...but not looking forward to those numbers. nice to be in a new ride with warranty again tho.
anyway...it was my choice and i'll live with it!
i know it's likely been beat to death here but looking for any experienced suggestions to aftermarket, proven oil filters, any odd ball tips with my first oil change ( the ED took about 30 min to drain the engine oil completely),looks like mobile 5w20 full synth is a proven oil choice.
i avoid the dealer like the plague and basically do all my own maintenance if i can help it.
if anyone has any ecodiesel questions i'll try to offer some help!

thanks!

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Welcome to the Hemi club!
If you want that low end launch get a Pedal Commander.
I use a Mobil 1 M1-210A filter and like it.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
welcome!!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Oil Filter Thread in my sig, consider spun microglass whatever your choice ends up.

We are in the middle of going from gf-5 oil spec to the gf-6 oil spec, and every time there is a new spec basically means they took away additives and/or viscosity to accommodate fuel efficiency goals and di turbo's and low saps, one size fits all formulas. If you are buying off the shelf your basic general otc synthetics like m1 or pennzoils, then the choice imo would be considering price and moly level. Unless you delve into base oil specs, which end up $$. So actually in cold places there are other consideration as in 0 winter rated oil have desirable base oils. Look for porsche and mercedes specs, those are stay in grade meaning the base oil is likely a decent % PAO.

Modern oil specs have brought formulas closer together then ever before, so "brand" is less of a consideration, but the one thing so far the API has left to blenders is moly levels. Generally accepted as a good additive for hemi's and the more the better. qsud and truck&gas both have elevated moly, some others do as well. Of course m1 and pennzoil has general level moly, which to many people is very acceptable, so long as you chose an oil with moly, not all do. If you ever get hemi tick, visit syn thread, but your m1 is a sound choice if you don't care about them not carrying hemi spec, the other choice would be Pennzoil PUP or PP and those do carry ms6395.

One of the best deals on a very nice formula is Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and this oil continues to have the lowest wear numbers out there. Their 0w40 is a hemi specific formula made with fca and pennzoil collaboration, super high moly. In fact, you can buy a 6 pack of 0w40 and just add a qrt to your 5w20's if you dare to be as cool as @Murphy Slaw. Bump up moly and add a little protection in the form of viscosity even if you add only 1 qrt to 6 qrts 5w20. good luck, welcome to the ramily, or should I say back to the family.

Last edited:

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Hi welcome !

Thanks for starting an oil thread ! Lol. [emoji897]

FWIW I use the dealer and use their synthetic.

Enjoy the forum. Lots of great info and people. If you wanna spend some covid downtime head over the bilstein threads or the lounge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Welcome aboard!

I'd offer engine advice, but I have to settle for being awesome in spite of having two cylinders tied behind my back ;)

I can say though that if you do any somewhat-frequent towing (but not like all the time or make a living at doing it hot-shot style), the Hemi is a good all-rounder. Of course the mpg will suck, but the built-in MDS (cylinder deactivation) helps with that a bit.

As for oil? Lawl... there's a thread around here somewhere that has the ever-eternal verbal warfare involving synth vs. natural vs which brand of either vs... Now for all I care, you can have Jiffy Lube dump a jug of Canola into the oil pan (seriously, my religion doesn't involve an ASE viscosity grade), but IMHO manufacturer recommendations are more than sufficient - just make sure you do it as often as they recommend, maybe 25% more frequent or such if you're worried about it.

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome to the forum. Post pics of the Warlock when you get some.

OP
OP
F

Fisherman Dan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
thanks for the welcoming words.
the good old oil debate runs strong no matter what the vehical eh!
will post some pics when i get a chance. thx again

Richg87

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Warlock
Engine
V6 Pentastar
Welcome!

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
welcome aboard....never had a problem with the higher gears.....3.21 rears and you'll lose a step with grunt As already stated.