New buyer, need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mxracer81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.1
hey im new to the forum and im buying my first truck ever and i have a couple questions. im going to look at a 2005 dodge ram 2500 it has 122k miles on it and the owner said it needs a power steering pump/power steering pump is going. how do i know if its a good truck or not? can you guys give me some advice to what to look for and stuff? is it true that these dodge rams blow through transmissions ? chime in and give me some info on what to look for. im looking for a good decent truck so i wanna make sure this one is good before i purchase it. thanks appreciate it.

chedched

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Welcome.

Are you buying this private party (I'm assuming you are)? I would definately have it inspected by a third party. $100 could save you a big headache down the road. Does he have any service records? Has anything been done recently as far as major repairs? Have you driven it? A bad power steering pump isn't the end of the world but I'm always skeptical as to the accuracy of his self (?) diagnosis of a bad pump. Steering racks are much more comon. Again, the rack isn't a huge deal either but I'm wondering who, if anyone, has been working on or diagnosing the issues on his truck.

RUST-look for rust! rear fenders and tailgate are the big problem areas. The inside lips on the bottom of the doors and the rockers are next. Inspect for any obvious body work. Maybe find someone who has a carfax account who can run it for you.

Transmission-Yeah, they are a little weaker than most would like. With the proper maintenance and driving habits they work just fine. My big question is, What was the truck used for? I recently looked at a 2500 (w/ a 5.7L) which had a 5th wheel hitch. I knew the truck(trans) had been pushed to the limit and didn't want anything to do with it.

Remember, there are a lot more just like it out there. Don't settle for the first one you find.

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
buy new..its easier..LOL
Brilliant! Who would of thunk?

Not everyone can afford a new vehicle. He is looking for advice on buying a 2005 Ram, not a new one so see your way out of this thread, Tool. You bring nothing.

OP, chedched gave you a good run down. The only question I have is do you need a 2500? If not then I would look for a 1500 W/A Hemi.

OP
OP
M

mxracer81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.1
Welcome.

Are you buying this private party (I'm assuming you are)? I would definately have it inspected by a third party. $100 could save you a big headache down the road. Does he have any service records? Has anything been done recently as far as major repairs? Have you driven it? A bad power steering pump isn't the end of the world but I'm always skeptical as to the accuracy of his self (?) diagnosis of a bad pump. Steering racks are much more comon. Again, the rack isn't a huge deal either but I'm wondering who, if anyone, has been working on or diagnosing the issues on his truck.

RUST-look for rust! rear fenders and tailgate are the big problem areas. The inside lips on the bottom of the doors and the rockers are next. Inspect for any obvious body work. Maybe find someone who has a carfax account who can run it for you.

Transmission-Yeah, they are a little weaker than most would like. With the proper maintenance and driving habits they work just fine. My big question is, What was the truck used for? I recently looked at a 2500 (w/ a 5.7L) which had a 5th wheel hitch. I knew the truck(trans) had been pushed to the limit and didn't want anything to do with it.

Remember, there are a lot more just like it out there. Don't settle for the first one you find.

Yes it is private party. I talked to my uncle after I wrote this he owns a car dealership and I'm gonna have him come check it out with me. Thanks for the advice man!

OP
OP
M

mxracer81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.1

Not everyone can afford a new vehicle. He is looking for advice on buying a 2005 Ram, not a new one so see your way out of this thread, Tool. You bring nothing.

OP, chedched gave you a good run down. The only question I have is do you need a 2500? If not then I would look for a 1500 W/A Hemi.

Lol that dudes cooked I'm not paying 60k for a new truck. I'm looking to buy a 2500 cause I'm gonna be towing my race trailer to my races etc. if this 2500 checks out ill post some pics when I get it home. Nice looking truck.. Thanks man

HEMIBjörn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I rather buy a truck cash then pay car payments!

That's the spirit! If only there were more people like you.

Transmissions are fine. You really need to look at what type of person the seller is and get maintenance history, if possible.
I don't know where you live, but ram trucks tend to have bad rust issues up north and there will be spots that you might not notice right away. Southern trucks may have interior problems because of sun damage. (All types of cracks ranging from huge to tiny)
Steering pump gone..sounds about right. What goes first is the pulley. I have the same issue with my truck, same for my previous ram as well.
Water pump tends to go around that mileage as well.
Next up is steering with balljoints, tie rods, sway bar links. Hub bearings...

Definitely check for codes by quickly circling the key to ON position and back 3 times. The codes should pop up on the screen.
Also worth checking is how strong the ac blows and how quick the heat works.

There might be other specifics for a 2500 too.
Good luck, 122k ain't bad mileage

RamHemi5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed

OBVIOUSLY I was joking... ya get that LOL at the end? Lighten Up, Francis!, or should I say, tool.

I'm gonna refrain from calling you anything else for the good of the forum, and as I'm a grown, mature adult. Take care now.

Young gun, good on you for not wanting a truck payment! i don't like em either. Buy that ram and have fun.

Last edited:

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Much apologies for my misunderstanding.

Sincerely,
Francis

mxracer81,
That's a good idea to have your uncle with to look at it, he's probably seen hos fair share of vehicles to avoid.
Good luck and post up some pics when you have them.

RamHemi5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
Much apologies for my misunderstanding.

Sincerely,
Francis

mxracer81,
That's a good idea to have your uncle with to look at it, he's probably seen hos fair share of vehicles to avoid.
Good luck and post up some pics when you have them.

Apology Accepted. no hard feelings. Take care.

-James