New Challenger?

Gen 3 Raptor vs Power Wagon

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine

I know that the TRX is in the same class as the Raptor but before it was released the PW went toe to toe with the Raptor on a lot of car shows. That is how I got turned on to PW 2 years ago and left Ford.
Now the Gen 3 Raptor has been released and we see independent rear suspension and 37” stock tires and I new front differential. Not apples to apples but the pay load and towing has improved 200 each. So it is an inch or two closer to being in the same playing field. Who has considered the new Raptor sitting in your garage?

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
raptor never had and still doesnt have any commonalities to the pw imo. other than for fun and kicks, i dont see why there were shootout tests. any serious truck enthusiust considering either one would already know every detail of both trucks without the help of lame youtube videos

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would prefer a naturally aspirated V8 in a machine such as that like the 6.2 it had originally. The Ecoboost is a great engine but I will never be able to move past that terrible exhaust note. I guess it's a good thing that Ford is going back to a V8 in their next gen Raptor to compete with the TRX although I still wish they could find ways to get higher numbers without forced induction.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
The word "HEMI", numerous feelings of manliness, brings a smile to your face, brings fear to competitors especially back in the day. "Ecoboost" well enough said!

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I know that the TRX is in the same class as the Raptor but before it was released the PW went toe to toe with the Raptor on a lot of car shows. That is how I got turned on to PW 2 years ago and left Ford.
Now the Gen 3 Raptor has been released and we see independent rear suspension and 37” stock tires and I new front differential. Not apples to apples but the pay load and towing has improved 200 each. So it is an inch or two closer to being in the same playing field. Who has considered the new Raptor sitting in your garage?

Independent rear suspension, wuh? You mean coil spring rear?

Isnt the new raptor r gonna have a 700+ hp v8?

OP
OP
Trailmaker

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
raptor never had and still doesnt have any commonalities to the pw imo. other than for fun and kicks, i dont see why there were shootout tests. any serious truck enthusiust considering either one would already know every detail of both trucks without the help of lame youtube videos
Stock for stock, it has a few things we want in our Wagon though. Like a 36 gallon tank and 37” tires from the factory. Offroad pages, just to name a few.

OP
OP
Trailmaker

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Independent rear suspension, wuh? You mean coil spring rear?

Isnt the new raptor r gonna have a 700+ hp v8?
Yes.

I know the Raptor R is going to pack a punch in 2022 but the new Gen 3 already has a few goodies that I am referring to.

the suspension on our PW is good but most guys that go off road change out some key components to make it even better. Does this Raptor already have the right suspension and does not need to be modified?

Last edited:

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can’t get past the Ford infotainment center to be honest. Looks like a windows computer imo. FCA has the best in the business imo

OP
OP
Trailmaker

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Would prefer a naturally aspirated V8 in a machine such as that like the 6.2 it had originally. The Ecoboost is a great engine but I will never be able to move past that terrible exhaust note. I guess it's a good thing that Ford is going back to a V8 in their next gen Raptor to compete with the TRX although I still wish they could find ways to get higher numbers without forced induction.
The exhaust note was an issue in the gen 2 but this year there is a built in bypass (like the one I installed on my PW) that lets you have 3 settings on the exhaust. Plus a X pipe and a complete true full 3” duel exhaust.
The GTR is one of my favorites cars and it runs duel turbos has well. The Gen 2 -3.5l was putting out the 25 more HP than my 19 -6.4l is, and weighed in less. The 2021 is bound to have a bump in HP.
Something that some folks might be considering. As it will tow 8200 lbs now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Trailmaker

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
I can’t get past the Ford infotainment center to be honest. Looks like a windows computer imo. FCA has the best in the business imo
I agree, Ram has been leading the way in interior for a while now.
The screen is 12” in the Raptor now like my PW has. It is just turn horizontal instead of vertical. and they put a 12” dash display in as well.

tjbrowder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Will be interesting to see the market adjustment Ford dealers put on the new Raptor. I can already see $10K minimum in the Houston area.

Havn2muchfun

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yes.

I know the Raptor R is going to pack a punch in 2022 but the new Gen 3 already has a few goodies that I am referring to.

the suspension on our PW is good but most guys that go off road change out some key components to make it even better. Does this Raptor already have the right suspension and does not need to be modified?
If you are interested it it based on the tires, go for it. As far as suspension, name any off road vehicle that doesn’t get better with modifications.

OP
OP
Trailmaker

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
If you are interested it it based on the tires, go for it. As far as suspension, name any off road vehicle that doesn’t get better with modifications.
I had the first generation before I bought my power wagon and it came with three levels of suspension options, I ran at mid perch.
But “better” is relative to the owner so if for towing that’s what you do, then yes you can stiffen the suspension to offer better towing. so I guess for me no modification is needed in that area ( from what I can tell) i’ll probably install a winch like I did on my last one. Maybe

not sold yet. But my buddy offered me 50k for my wagon if I decide I don’t want both. I was looking at TRX as well.
I’m running a little pros and con list...

D3F2B17A-480D-4F89-842A-6D6DDA83737C.jpeg

93D1A67D-5894-4800-8B0A-4E60FB8CC36A.jpeg

Havn2muchfun

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I had the first generation before I bought my power wagon and it came with three levels of suspension options, I ran at mid perch.
But “better” is relative to the owner so if for towing that’s what you do, then yes you can stiffen the suspension to offer better towing. so I guess for me no modification is needed in that area ( from what I can tell) i’ll probably install a winch like I did on my last one. Maybe

not sold yet. But my buddy offered me 50k for my wagon if I decide I don’t want both. I was looking at TRX as well.
I’m running a little pros and con list...
Was kind of my point about suspension parts. Modifications are done by those who want or need more. Stock PW and 36” tires did just fine for me at Moab. Could or can it be better? Always, but not necessary

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If i could afford a raptor i would have bought one but i could not touch one for even close to what my power wagon cost. I want to say ford missed the boat because they jack the price up so much but yet they can sell all they make so must be doing something right.

OP
OP
Trailmaker

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
If i could afford a raptor i would have bought one but i could not touch one for even close to what my power wagon cost. I want to say ford missed the boat because they jack the price up so much but yet they can sell all they make so must be doing something right.
You must have gotten a good deal on your PW. I paid 5k off of sticker at 67k for mine.