New Convert from GM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I agree. I've found no difference in fuel economy or performance between any fuel 89 octane and up. 87 costs a little bit of both, but I ran my last hemi on 87 pretty much it's whole life. I run 89 now only because I've noticed enough fuel economy increase that the cost per mile is the same as 87 currently so why not gain a little range and a few ponies.

Users find the engine runs better (smoother) on 89 octane. I see the same phenomenon - doesn't stumble as much. Not sure why since knock sensor ignition timing adjust should make it transparent. Maybe the PCM algorithm isn't as precise with 87 octane?

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
The Ram does not have a limited slip differential but rather what is called an "anti-spin" differential where the brakes are applied to a wheel that is turning too fast. Much like what is called "traction control" and common on vehicles with rear 2WD. It is only a little better than nothing but does not begin to compare to a true locker.

Pickup trucks are already limited by the lack of weight on the rear wheels and anyone who has had one with true limited slip rear differential or an electronic locker will not go back to "anti-spin".

GM and Toyota do not provide a limited slip differential but are being more honest with calling it an anti-spin rear differential. Guess the legal department one out over the marketing department.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Hi everybody, so after driving Silverados for 23 years, my 2015 4WD crew cab with the 6.2L engine and 83K miles was staring to nickel-dime me and was rusting pretty good on the frame under the bed. New trucks are too expensive so I looked for something comparable used, 2018 or newer with 30K miles or less. Must-haves were comparable engine, limited slip rear diff, heated seats, and full front center console. Call me old school but wouldn't consider Titans or Tundras. F150's have a great 3.5 Ecoboost engine but weirdly you can't get them without either an open rear diff or an electronic locker. That left Rams or used Silverados and Sierras with the 6.2, but the GM's were all thousands more expensive. Our only experience with Dodge was a 2002 Caravan that killed us with repairs and we swore we'd never buy Dodge again, but I test drove a 2018 Ram anyway. It was OK but I couldn't get comfortable without a telescoping steering wheel (longer legs than upper body). Drove a 2021 new body style with the 3.92 rear axle and was sold.

So for about 2 weeks I looked for used 4WD crew cab Big Horns with Level 2 options, 3.92's, and anti-spin differential, within 200 miles of Pittsburgh. Must have reviewed 500 window stickers - that combination is sooooo hard to find. Came upon about 4 candidates and, although the white with chrome wasn't my first color choice, the price for the miles was the best available, and as a bonus it has the LED lighting package. But ordered some black emblems to replace the chrome, we'll see how that looks.

I was amazed at how well it handles corners compared to the Silverado, although to be fair the Silverado had a 2" lift. Acceleration and braking are also better. Gas mileage is worse, even with a smaller engine, about 14.8 mpg so far although I've only had it for about 300 miles and keep dipping into the gas pedal (Silverado was 15.5). It's also a little bigger, with more back seat room.

Things that I don't like:

Can't turn down the volume on incoming text or call notifications
The steering wheel scroll buttons won't let you go backwards through your favorites, and you have to select AM/FM/XM to scroll through those favorites individually
Even with adjustable pedals and the steering wheel all the way out, I'm reaching forward for the wheel (more of a me problem than a truck problem)
No seat memory settings like I had in the Silverado

Small list but that's it. Really happy so far with the switch and looking forward to learning all the tips and tricks!

View attachment 498930

A Big Horn thing with phone/text notification?
I have a Laramie and I can adjust the phone volume vs radio volume.
From what I remember it is in the setup screen. You have to bring up the phone settings to adjust the volume. I have my phone volume quite a bit louder than I listen on my radio volume.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Users find the engine runs better (smoother) on 89 octane. I see the same phenomenon - doesn't stumble as much. Not sure why since knock sensor ignition timing adjust should make it transparent. Maybe the PCM algorithm isn't as precise with 87 octane?
I don't notice a difference in power or how it runs. At least not enough to say it isn't all in my head, but the fuel economy numbers are from dozens of trips on multiple octanes from 87-94. All roughly 600-700 miles/ 1000-1100 km highway trips.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The Ram does not have a limited slip differential but rather what is called an "anti-spin" differential where the brakes are applied to a wheel that is turning too fast. Much like what is called "traction control" and common on vehicles with rear 2WD. It is only a little better than nothing but does not begin to compare to a true locker.

Pickup trucks are already limited by the lack of weight on the rear wheels and anyone who has had one with true limited slip rear differential or an electronic locker will not go back to "anti-spin".

GM and Toyota do not provide a limited slip differential but are being more honest with calling it an anti-spin rear differential. Guess the legal department one out over the marketing department.
They do have limited slip as an option. The half tons are a clutch type and the HD has a torsen type. Also e-locker is an option. Anti-spin is the base differential with traction control standard on all 3 diffs. I think mostly to protect the driveline.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
They do have limited slip as an option. The half tons are a clutch type and the HD has a torsen type. Also e-locker is an option. Anti-spin is the base differential with traction control standard on all 3 diffs. I think mostly to protect the driveline.

I read here somewhere the Gen V HD's dropped the torsen all-gear differential and went back to limited slip clutch packs. Sad.

OP
OP
mikepol2

mikepol2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A Big Horn thing with phone/text notification?
I have a Laramie and I can adjust the phone volume vs radio volume.
From what I remember it is in the setup screen. You have to bring up the phone settings to adjust the volume. I have my phone volume quite a bit louder than I listen on my radio volume.

Not sure but it was so bad I disconnected Bluetooth with my phone. When a text was being read aloud you could use the volume knob to make it quieter, but the next text would come back in at volume 15. I read one post that said someone contacted Dodge about it and was told it's a Uconnect software issue that would too expensive to fix, read another post that said the whole radio unit needs replaced, who knows what the real answer is, all I know is that it sucks to have a heart attack while driving when you get a phone call at volume 15.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
If that's true it's sad.

The more knowledgable model-follwers so-stated. I didn't validate myself, but they were members who know their stuff.

Another cost-reduction exercise by Stellantis. (We don't need that in France & Italy!!!) :confused:

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Not sure but it was so bad I disconnected Bluetooth with my phone. When a text was being read aloud you could use the volume knob to make it quieter, but the next text would come back in at volume 15. I read one post that said someone contacted Dodge about it and was told it's a Uconnect software issue that would too expensive to fix, read another post that said the whole radio unit needs replaced, who knows what the real answer is, all I know is that it sucks to have a heart attack while driving when you get a phone call at volume 15.
That's why I took the permission off of text messages when I paired my phone.

OP
OP
mikepol2

mikepol2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK about 2 weeks into ownership now and the honeymoon is not wearing off. I look for reasons to drive it and am surprised at the comments people are offering about "nice truck". So far it has been a very good decision.

Last edited: