New electric Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
The Canadian Government has done a lot of work here. You can drive coast to coast with PetroCanada stations less than 155 miles apart (most of which are 350kW DC fast charging), and they're just one of many companies that the government is worked with.

I prefer to see more charging infrastructure at attractions rather than gas stations.

The United States has not.

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
May not be true for you, as BC Hydro and many retailers have free level 2 chargers. I suspect you have two withing 20KM, and I've used both.

Sadly BC Hydro hasn't placed any free chargers in Coombs.
there is no such thing as free it cost money to make hydro and someone is paying for it and that would be all consumers( including business) and everyone will notice it on all purchases as well as home heating and electric bills .the cost will be passed on to the consumer and if they dont have electric cars why should they pay for your free charge.

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I am very interested in the electric truck. I look forward to see what people do with these over the next few years.

BUT

There are some things notwithstanding that would stop me from buying an electric vehicle.

1) I won‘t spend $60k on an electric car when it’s gas equivalent cost $35k. It will never pay for itself.

2) The rebate here is $5k ($4722 after taxes; yes, we’re charged gst on the government rebate), on electric vehicles that cost less than $55k (Although that $55k may change soon). That’s better than a kick in the teeth but not enough to make it a cost compelling option.

3) Everything, electric truck wise, is spoken for for the next year or two. There won’t be one sitting at a dealer for you to tire kick until 2024… maybe…

4) I won’t be a beta tester. I won’t chance the new model being defect free, there’s always something.

5) I have seen zero chargers anywhere that can accommodate a vehicle with a trailer.

6) Everything electric appears to be catered to the rich; the city folk; the short commute suburbanite; high end high cost bullchit! For my GF, an electric car would be perfect for her commuting needs…. But she’s cheaper than I am and will drive her Trax into the ground until it’s no longer cost effective to fix.

For me to realistically buy an electric truck it will need to be proven reliable. It will cost relatively the same amount as it’s comparable gas counterpart. Recharge time from 20 to 100% of 10-15 mins max. There will need to be fast chargers capable of accommodating trailers. I don’t want to be driving something George Jetson would own, make it look normal. Right to repair will be applied to every aspect of the vehicle.

Most importantly! Every electric vehicle charger plug will need to be identical so any car can charge from any brand charger anywhere.

We‘ll see what happens come 2025 and go from there.

Last edited:

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
The United States has not.
I agree with your point the US needs to and has not. Just intending to point out Canada managed to move ahead on it, and that gas station charging sucks.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
there is no such thing as free it cost money to make hydro and someone is paying for it and that would be all consumers( including business) and everyone will notice it on all purchases as well as home heating and electric bills .the cost will be passed on to the consumer and if they dont have electric cars why should they pay for your free charge.

Nothing you've said changes the fact the charges are available there, and using them would lower his out of pocket cost.

The reason why is even worse than you think. The Federal government is using taxes collected from people like you and I in the prairies to provide subsidies to BC residents and BC business, which is one reason why BC sells more EVs per capita than anywhere else in North America.

I'll take advantage of the incentives while offered if it's convenient.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
Most importantly! Every electric vehicle charger plug will need to be identical so any car can charge from any brand charger anywhere.
Right now it's Tesla and everyone else, and that's unlikely to change. Not having access to the Tesla network is no big loss, and they can charge with te rest of us with an adapter.

The other chargers have two universal standard connectors (350kW CCS & 100kW CHAdeMO), but the trucks will have the newer CCS connector.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
I have seen zero chargers anywhere that can accommodate a vehicle with a trailer.

There are a few where you can stay connected with trailers but dropping a trailer would be needed more often than not. Most, like the Balzac PetroCan have a spot you can drop it. There are a few sites like the (kinda expensive) Canadian Tire charger in Deerfoot City that have a separate trailer parking area but a small trailer (or a lack of concern about blocking a row) could work depending on the vehicles charge port location.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Tim the idea of installing charging devices on poles would not work in many U.S. inter-cities

In San Diego city & outskirts, every night ATM machines are ****** out of buildings, including banks.
Also every night thieves are stealing the Solar Panels off of Emergency Call Boxes that are on poles about 1/2 mile apart on Major Highways

Thieves wrap a chain around the pole & pull it down, they quickly unbolt the solar panel

1651217918284.png

1651217986988.png

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
Nothing you've said changes the fact the charges are available there, and using them would lower his out of pocket cost.

The reason why is even worse than you think. The Federal government is using taxes collected from people like you and I in the prairies to provide subsidies to BC residents and BC business, which is one reason why BC sells more EVs per capita than anywhere else in North America.

I'll take advantage of the incentives while offered if it's convenient.
again like i said everyone pays for it period.and to add to this the pollution created to mine the stuff and destruction of fertile land required to make those huge batteries is terrible.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
the pollution created to mine the stuff and destruction of fertile land required to make those huge batteries is terrible.
Some say the same about the mining of the oil sands.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
Tim the idea of installing charging devices on poles would not work in many U.S. inter-cities

Probably not, but I don't recall stating it would. Most likley have other pressing needs for public money I'd prioritze and private investments would likely see higher return elsewhere, which seems to be an issue with most amenties and services needed or wanted.

In San Diego city & outskirts, every night ATM machines are ****** out of buildings, including banks.
Also every night thieves are stealing the Solar Panels off of Emergency Call Boxes that are on poles about 1/2 mile apart on Major Highways

in San Diego every day at least 10 pickups are stolen, along with 10 or more other vehicles. In San Diego every day gas stations are robbed or vandalized, as are repair facilities and part stores. It seems many aspects of vehicle ownership seem to be a challenge there today and in the near future.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
You are NOT wrong there

San Diego is crazy, due mostly to all the Street Gangs
Our news is reporting right now the a Black VW Bug that was loaded with people, just chased down a Jeep Cherokee & fired 3 shots at the Jeep driver, he was hit in the leg & two other shots hit the drivers window.
The Jeep driver took the next off ramp & drove to the entrance of a Target store to get help.

The Police have a good chance of getting video
There are 2 very busy intersections & 100s of shopping mall businesses right in the area

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
Some say the same about the mining of the oil sands.
well let see what i have read about the oil sands is its cleaner now than it was before show me the nice green land after mining lithium ill wait,or for that matter the ***** labour used to mine it.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
well let see what i have read about the oil sands is its cleaner now than it was before

There has been a lot of misinformation on the topic, so it does not surprise me you had been misinformed or mislead. While the companies involved do work hard at reclamation many of the environmental impacts are shared between lithium and oil mining pollution and contamination are left behind. While the landscape is not brought back to it's prior state it does look natural.

show me the nice green land after mining lithium

Many lithium mine reclamation plans, such as the Thacker Pass Lithium Mine Project share reclamation design strategies and goals as mines in the Alberta oilsands, and are occasionally created and managed by the same firms. There are mines that have been remediated to the same level as past oil sands sites available for you to find, however like the oil sands results have been presented as both success and failure by people for and against future projects.

that matter the ***** labour used to mine it.

I'm not aware of any issues with labour in Australia which is currently by far the worlds largest source of lithium, but
just as with oil, steel, and other resources we currently import for auto production or use standards for pollution and worker safety drop drastically in many foreign countries that produce resources for our consumption.

Canada has 2.5% of the worlds lithium reserves. Canadian lithium output has been somewhat sporadic in the past, mainly due to funding and capital issues however several mines are under development. Canada should be producing consistently within the next 2 years, notably from The Snow Lake Mine in Manitoba, which is hoping to set the bar for low in CO2 emissions during operation in part due to the use of hydro electric power.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
Shell just announced they're targeting to install over 500,000 new charging points globally by 2025, and 2.5 million by 2030. Outshines BPs recent announcement of just under 1,000 new charge points in Australia, New Zealand, and the UK.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
for some real info on the mining and destruction of the land to get some lithium for batteries, just google up Thacker Pass. planned to be the main source in America for lithium. look at the scar on the earth from that giant hole in the ground and compare it to the grassed over green stripe of land left by a typical oil or gas pipeline. read how many millions of gallons of water will have to be sucked out of the surrounding high desert land and the poisonous gasses used for production. even if you are in the market for an EV, it is some interesting stuff.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There has been a lot of misinformation on the topic, so it does not surprise me you had been misinformed or mislead. While the companies involved do work hard at reclamation many of the environmental impacts are shared between lithium and oil mining pollution and contamination are left behind. While the landscape is not brought back to it's prior state it does look natural.

Many lithium mine reclamation plans, such as the Thacker Pass Lithium Mine Project share reclamation design strategies and goals as mines in the Alberta oilsands, and are occasionally created and managed by the same firms. There are mines that have been remediated to the same level as past oil sands sites available for you to find, however like the oil sands results have been presented as both success and failure by people for and against future projects.

I'm not aware of any issues with labour in Australia which is currently by far the worlds largest source of lithium, but
just as with oil, steel, and other resources we currently import for auto production or use standards for pollution and worker safety drop drastically in many foreign countries that produce resources for our consumption.

Canada has 2.5% of the worlds lithium reserves. Canadian lithium output has been somewhat sporadic in the past, mainly due to funding and capital issues however several mines are under development. Canada should be producing consistently within the next 2 years, notably from The Snow Lake Mine in Manitoba, which is hoping to set the bar for low in CO2 emissions during operation in part due to the use of hydro electric power.
Crazy!! I believe snow lake is pretty close to where we go fishing in Canada!!

jagman_xjs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 2011 2019 2023
Engine
5.7 Hemi(s)
I suspect the wording means it will be like the BMW i3, an optional add on motor that only charges the batteries. Sadly Ford patented the removable instal on demand bed mounted option but does not seem to have plans to use it.
When I built my truck I added a tilt bed to make acess easy as well as easy removal of the battery box. As far as range I have 60 miles BUT if I switched out to a Li battery system I could go around 210 miles. Which is curretnly plenty for me. I use a simple 220vac outlet and am thinking of building a REAL hybrid not these stupid ones they are building that only get 35 to 50 mpgs . Personally I do not see the majority useing EVs until things are improved here in the USA. As much as I HATE useing gas I do feel a REAL hybrid getting 100+ mpg is the ONLY actual solution.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
look at the scar on the earth from that giant hole in the ground and compare it to the grassed over green stripe of land left by a typical oil or gas pipeline.
What's the intent of comparing the transportation of one resource with the extraction of another?

for some real info on the mining and destruction of the land to get some lithium for batteries, just google up Thacker Pass. planned to be the main source in America for lithium. look at the scar on the earth from that giant hole in the ground.

I'm very familiar with the Thacker Pass project, you'll notice I referenced their remediation plan in my post above.

The permits to start construction at Thacker Pass were released less than a month ago. That scar you're referring to is unrelated to the project and is the area in its natural state. There will be a very ugly pit mine with a multiple large tailing piles during operation. This video by a group opposing the mine does a great job of showing the current state of the area and the proposed impacts, but skips the planned remediation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_HiCCvHFSQ

For comparison here's an older video by a group opposing Alberta's oil sands development. The oil sands are one of the biggest industrial projects on the planet and cover an area so large that only 11 states are larger. You'll hear all the same concerns about impacts rasied at Thacker Pass, with examples of incidents water and wildlife incidents that had already happened by 2011, but on a much larger scale. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkwoRivP17A

When we look at projects like Thacker Pass or Snow Lake it's important to do so with the knowledge that over 40% of oil consumed in the US come from Canada's Oil Sands, so gas or electric there will be impact somewhere unless we stop driving or find new alternatives.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357