NEW Exhaust ... same Hemi TICK

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
I switched to amsoil the first time in my life after running it in the wife's ford 6.7 and I swear the stuff is well worth it. I put it in my power wagon and noticed it being alot quieter. Before I was using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w40. Not trying to sell you on any brand just what I have personally noticed with mine.
Not bashing amsoil by any means bc it is indeed a great oil but my tick seems gotten louder when I switched from p.u.p to amsoil. Gonna give redline a shot next

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

RSL0311USMC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
M
Engine
M
Not bashing amsoil by any means bc it is indeed a great oil but my tick seems gotten louder when I switched from p.u.p to amsoil. Gonna give redline a shot next

Mines been perfect I refuse to use anything else after putting amsoil in. Really doesn't make sense considering I have seen independent unbiased reviews showing how well amsoil flows compared to most others. I cant speak for redline but I have heard good things about it.

Last edited:

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
I expected it to quiet things down more but it definitely hasn't. Every motor is different though I guess. I used redline in my 1500 with good results, we'll see

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
What works for one, may not work for another. Each one is differen with different drivers, environs, maintenance, etc.

What has worked for MOST, it appears, is Redline.
MOST, not ALL and it may not work for you,as it has not for others.

If Amsoil solves your problem, use it.
IF Dried Unicorn ***** worked for you, let us know, as it may help another, down teh road.
That's what makes this forum so damn terrific.
MOST tend to be helpful, honest and make a genuine effort to help out others.

Again, if you like it, it works for you and solved your problem, run with it.
Just let us know all the info too because it might help me.
and,based on my Wife;s observations, I need help.

Saw her reading a cookbook, the other day.
I asked her, "Why are you reading a Cookbook? You can't cook!"

She replied "Well, You watch ****!"

..See, told you, I need help

RSL0311USMC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
M
Engine
M
What works for one, may not work for another. Each one is differen with different drivers, environs, maintenance, etc.

What has worked for MOST, it appears, is Redline.
MOST, not ALL and it may not work for you,as it has not for others.

If Amsoil solves your problem, use it.
IF Dried Unicorn ***** worked for you, let us know, as it may help another, down teh road.
That's what makes this forum so damn terrific.
MOST tend to be helpful, honest and make a genuine effort to help out others.

Again, if you like it, it works for you and solved your problem, run with it.
Just let us know all the info too because it might help me.
and,based on my Wife;s observations, I need help.

Saw her reading a cookbook, the other day.
I asked her, "Why are you reading a Cookbook? You can't cook!"

She replied "Well, You watch ****!"

..See, told you, I need help
Honestly hemis do this so it's not a big deal to begin with. If my hellcat did it and didn't blow up it shouldnt bother people or if all the hemis out there are not blowing up no big deal. Some people dont realise to that these motors should run on 89 or higher. Mine pinged like crazy so that might be what some are hearing and hence why I run 93. The terminator cobra in 03 had a tapping noise on one head and people changed oil did the same thing here to help quiet it down and ford had to ultimately redesign the head. Try a different octane if it's still doing it especially when warmed up or getting louder take it to the dealer or leave it be or if the oil works keep doing that. But run 0w40 if you have a warranty. Dont get crazy changing weights of oil by alot they are recommended for a reason. Not an expert just giving my two cents to help others as I am not a backyard mechanic and I have over 30k in automotive classes and 17 years hands on experience to help others if they ever need help. If I cant answer your question I will do my best to find the answer or help.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Flea

Flea

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Checking to see if you had that tick figured out and was it the oil that made the difference?
Not yet. Moving to White Sands and have been bouncing around like ping pong ball between California (ew), Texas, New Mexico.
Its going to be sitting still for a couple weeks until I get back :(

Have noticed several PW in area though. Blue one, White One, Black one.

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Either I’m lucky or being at sea level makes a difference. I run the 0w40 Mobile 1 which sales for $28/5 gal with a NAPA Platinum filter with no tick. Figured out it also runs the same with same MPG on 87 octane(no ping and MDS seems the same). Glad because I wouldn’t have been happy with a finicky engine. I can see a sports car engine needing special attention but a tuned down truck engine should be a work horse.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Flea

Flea

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I will try and get a recording of it when I get back ... it actually might not be the tick. It is more of a chirping kind of a not belt thing ... like a little bell ringing.

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My dad thought sunblock and hearing protection were for the weak. So I grew up fishing the Gulf with no shade or sunblock and have shot off hundreds of rounds of 30-06 without hearing protection. Therefore, I keep a dermatologist in business and I am about half deaf. So with that said, mine may be ticking like a SOB and I drive around in ignorant bliss!

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will try and get a recording of it when I get back ... it actually might not be the tick. It is more of a chirping kind of a not belt thing ... like a little bell ringing.

Maybe its your water pump going bad.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Right out of the box ... I hope not. Worth checking though.

Absolutely. **** happens. My battery was complete junk at 2000 miles. Had to be replaced. Upper ball joints wobbly when I rotated tires at 3000. My truck usually has a hint of an antifreeze smell once warmed up/hot. Doesn't leak or get low on fluid, but I think it is the water pump.

RSL0311USMC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
M
Engine
M
Absolutely. **** happens. My battery was complete junk at 2000 miles. Had to be replaced. Upper ball joints wobbly when I rotated tires at 3000. My truck usually has a hint of an antifreeze smell once warmed up/hot. Doesn't leak or get low on fluid, but I think it is the water pump.
I here you on that. I had my headgasket replaced at low twenty something thousand on my 2018. Head was leaking oil **** does happen even when damn near new.
20190924_160417.jpg

OP
OP
Flea

Flea

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
This truck is the replacement of the Rebel FCA bought back under the lemon law ... so many issues.
Hoping this one has a better track record.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
This truck is the replacement of the Rebel FCA bought back under the lemon law ... so many issues.
I have 16K on mine and I only have been to the dealership for a pealing steering wheel (fake leather btw) and a tire sensor went out last week. So far no lemons here.

RSL0311USMC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
M
Engine
M
I wouldn't stress to much man. I dont know what you went through but I can only imagine if you had used the lemon law. All the manufacturers pump these things out like crazy and unfortunately some have serious issues probably built on Friday lol. With my head gasket I was pissed but the dealer was awesome and it was fixed fast and cost me nothing under warranty. My wife has a 2015 Ford 6.7 with like 120k on it zero issues but a person we know has the same truck year and everything with only 18k on it never driven unless to pull a horse trailer. That thing was in the shop for 3 months motor torn down almost lemoned. Got it back same problems then it got fixed. Now guess what it's doing this past week leaking a ton of coolant lol. They all have it no matter the brand now a days.