New to Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Iceman06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Went from a F150 v6 for my very first vehicle to a Ram v8. Now that I've got the extra two cylinders, I'm ready to do some stuff to it. I've really really really really been wanting an exhaust and an intake. So what I did in the meantime was just remove the pipe after the muffler. It's well past the cab so it's completely legal from what I understand. It didn't really do much to the performance or the fuel economy, but I wasn't expecting any. Slight change to the sound, just a little deeper from certain angles and at certain temperatures. Anyone else ever do this?

Oh, and while I'm here, I'm cursed with the bad tach cluster. I'm reading about 50rpm at idle. Yeah, that's right, 50. Maybe 400-500 at about 50mph down the highway. I know I can't be the only one.

So as far as an exhaust, I know what I want as far as sound. I prefer the deep rumble to the sharp aggressive growl. The deeper the better. I'm not super car smart, but I'm assuming that an air intake would help with the deep rumble I'm looking for? And I know I want a cat-back system. That seems to make more sense and if I remember correctly, usually cheaper.

While I would greatly welcome the performance upgrades from both the air intake and the exhaust, I really want to boost the fuel economy as well. And it's my understanding that these modifications will help with that. And I'll probably have to get a tuner after the exhaust and intake are installed, correct?

So I guess my question is, what are some recommendations? I'm on a real tight budget, but I still care enough about my truck to install good parts that will last me a while. My brother had an old square body chevy single cab that he put a K&N FIPK intake in and that's about all I know about intakes. And I know absolutely nothing about tuning. But I know there are some that come with an economy mode so I can boost the mpg but change it to a different setting to get the full power I need for towing or whatever comes my way. I'm not looking to build a drag truck here. It's a 4door with the 6.5 bed with a headache rack and toolbox. It's not even a Hemi so I'm mostly going for more air in, more air out, sound, power, and efficiency. I mean, it's 12 years old with nearly 180k miles.

Anyway, sorry for the long new guy post. But so many questions and no Ram friends or anyone that knows crap about them. Look forward to hearing from y'all. Cheers from the Lone Star State.