New here and I need help on a project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cole L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I have a 1970 dodge D200 with a 383 v8 and automatic tranny. Only 57,*** miles. It's only a 2wd and where I live we get a lot of snow so 4x4 is pretty well required. At first I was planning on an axle swap and a devorced t-case, but then I figured with a little more time and money I could swap my body onto a 97 frame that has a 12v cummins, with manual tranny and 4x4. I know I will need to cut a whole for the shifter, but would the body fit on the frame without major problems?

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Welcome.

Stop and think about this. This is exactly the type of project that can cut through an enormous budget, require a **** load of man-hours, fabrication time, mechanical skill and a significant amount of work space with some serious tools.

You leave out a few, but very critical details. They basically; would inquire about all of those things I mentioned above. How much time, money, mechanical ability and space do you have, and how much do you have already wrapped up in the original truck, and set aside to purchase a "donor" chassis/drivetrain truck and all the related little things that will absolutely "nickel and dime" you to death along the way?

Then what are the parent's, wife, neighbor's, city planners and code enforcement guys going to say when all this mess sits out in the open, drizzling what they consider "hazardous" materials (coolant, oil, gear lube, old tires, etc) all over the place? Not just for a few months, but potentially the rest of your life, should you lose interest or hit a budget wall mid-project?

TOTAL BUMMER. I know. We all dream of such projects, the fun, the ease of which it possibly could be done, recycling good things into even better, personally modified and unique things that reflect our hard work, personalities and levels of creativity while avoiding a new truck payment.

More often than not, the overall cost alone will far surpass the cost of a fully loaded new truck, let alone a nice, lower trim level reliable truck that you could press into service immediately and reliably.

That being said, I would LOVE to take the old original Power Wagon in my Sig pic, slide a new 2500 Diesel 4x4 chassis right under it with all the power and reliability. Just slide it on there, bolt 'er up and drive off into the sunset with a unique rig that would either appreciate, be appreciated, or kept for life.

Sadly, those "OverHaulin" type stories are a One in a Million fantasy, and often even with the big production budget, pro shops and celebrity names involved are absolute **** under a fancy painted "demo" shell, like many rigs at SEMA, etc.

Sell the ultra low mileage original truck out of state to a potential collector or "nostalgia" guy who might pay more for it because he learned to drive it in high school, or his grandfather had one "just like it" on the farm where he spent his youthful summers.

Then take the money and get the best "complete" rolling package you can find. It will make itself known to you in time.

OR, add a good limited slip, buy some good chains to cover a nice new set of four used "winter take offs" with studs already installed, some fresh seat covers, a spare tow strap for behind the bench seat when you get in over your head, and just drive the hell out of it!

And work your way up the ladder with better, more experience and bigger budgets as things come your way and life moves forward.

Glad to have you hear. Sorry if it sounds like a "bubble bursting" post, but learn from other's mistakes (such as myself and many others before me who have tried taking this path). And be better off in the long run for it.

-Brakelate-

****I really drove and wrenched constantly on a whole lot of REAL ****** vehicles before finally being blessed with the ability to buy top of the line stuff like my current Rubicon and Power Wagon. But, it takes years... in my case well over 40+! So hang in there. Good things will happen.

:favorites13:

OP
OP
C

Cole L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I completely understand where you come from. A lot of the tools I have access to with my father being a former mechanic, the project space is in our storage barn we have on the farm (actually it's 1 of 3 with concrete floors). As far as the 4x4 frame and drivetrain, I found the 97 diesel on Craigslist listed for $4,000 with 134,*** miles. I don't know how much time I will have being 16 and on a tight budget. I know both my neighbors love projects such as mine and would be willing to help when possible. I have a feeling my project will need to wait a couple years while I work the next couple years. Luckily I am blessed with a great welding job and always helping on the farm that I may have enough income to do my project within the next 5 years. Thank you for the reply. No matter how heartbreaking it feels, you gave me a dose of reality. I was hoping this to be a project that took 2-3 weeks.

preachp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi Cole,

Agree that this is no weekend project. However there are other options for that truck. The 383 is known as a bearing pounder, but I have built one and it was a crazy fast motor. High revving short stroke big block can produce a bunch of horse power, and because of the short stroke it can get there in a hurry. Did you think of maybe making it into a street truck/ sport truck? DO you have the auto or 4 speed? The 4 speed can be converted into a slick shift by knocking every other tooth out of the synchros. Then you don't need the clutch for up shifts, you just release the gas and slam the next gear.
Just an idea.

preachp

OP
OP
C

Cole L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you for the advise. The tranny in it is an automatic, but I found another tranny on Craigslist that I may buy. The newer tranny is from a 76 w200 with the t-case. Sadly this tranny I believe is an automatic as well. My only question for you is if the tranny would fit onto my engine. As far as my dream with this truck, My original plan was keep it stock and make it a show truck, but now that it's my daily driver, I am looking to put 4x4 on it, and lift kit. Maybe a little offroad but still attend shows. I want to build this truck to be a head turner. Something you can't help but stare at.

As far as how much time each upgrade is gonna take to install, it shouldn't matter. I recently bought a van as a back up and go getter. (I know... A van is the least manly thing to drive... :homoswitch: )