New I-6 info...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Maybe this was shared earlier...sorry if I missed it. A buddy sent this to me this morning. The new I-6 TT engine HERE.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's weird.

Ok, I got it to work.

Try THIS or the initial above link

Last edited:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Yeah, there are lots of little w h i z motors that aren't reliable or durable.

Water cooled exhaust manifolds? Coated cylinder walls (remember the disastrous "nickasil" coating of BMW?)? Oh wait - it's a European company today! Check out the durability and reliability of Mercedes and BMW engines. Bottom of the heap. Why do they still sell? Rich people buy or lease them for one year, then get another new one. Hardly the American market for a truck engine with life expectation of 200,000 miles.

OP
OP
J

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing on the sintered cylinder walls. That sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Hopefully they'll leave enough 'meat' in the block bore area so the aftermarket can line them with a proper nickle/steel cylinder liner.

Plus each turbo feeding 3 cylinders sounds a lot like a 3-cyl-deactivation MDF mode. "Hey Mr. Macho 'leveled 4x4 truck owner' with 35" meats, a CB, winch and dual flags ....yer actually on 3 cylinders going down the road! -- ha ha" . IDK how that'll fly?

Overall, it sounds like a situation where you mash the accelerator on the hwy and wait for all the processes to kick in before the tk starts to really *go* (cylinders -> Turbos -> Tranny to kick down). After 3 seconds it starts to Actually go. And um...will the water-cooled intercoolers rot out & leak after 5 years of NE salty winters?

That's one thing about pure EV's.... the pedal response is instant. I dusted off a lot of expensive gas cars with the last EV car I rented! LOL It's like there's a big spring on yer car and suddenly someone cuts the hold-down and yer OFF! "yoo-hoo ...goodbyyyye!!"

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing on the sintered cylinder walls. That sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Hopefully they'll leave enough 'meat' in the block bore area so the aftermarket can line them with a proper cylinder liner.

Plus each turbo feeding 3 cylinders sounds a lot like a 3-cyl-deactivation MDF mode. "Hey Mr. Macho 'leveled 4x4 truck owner' with 35" meats, a CB, winch and dual flags ....yer actually on 3 cylinders going down the road! -- ha ha" . IDK how that'll fly?

Overall, it sounds like a situation where you mash the accelerator on the hwy and wait for all the processes to kick in before the tk starts to really *go* (cylinders -> Turbos -> Tranny to kick down). After 3 seconds it starts to Actually go.

That's one thing about pure EV's.... the pedal response is instant. I dusted off a lot of expensive gas cars with the last EV car I rented! LOL It's like there's a big spring on yer car and suddenly someone cuts the hold-down and yer OFF! "yoo-hoo ...goodbyyyye!!"
ARGH, friggin Italian thinking, like the 2nd Gen ED's, argh. Just confirms my staying with MY 19 till the wheels fall off then glue them back on with Gorilla Glue and go more.

OP
OP
J

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Honest to gawd ...my 89 GMC with it's 200hp TBI 350 has as good or better throttle response then my '12 Hemi. Gets the same fuel economy, and 270k mi with zero problems! No EPS to replace, low-tech ABS ...rock-solid computer. No supid 'helpful' nannies to fight with.

Then I have an '03 4.7 HO in a G/Cherokee ..no MDF MDS or anything. 240k, no problems, no tick, no warped manifolds. You push the pedal down and it snaps yer neck. It's quick and efforless. Doesn't need to downshift to pass anyone. I could pass my pickup in that thing before the 5.7 Hemi gets out of MDF mode! Our daughter thought all vehicles were like that. When she was doing her student driving she was telling the instructor something was wrong with their car. It was totally gutless ...lol

Last edited:

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Honest to gawd ...my 89 GMC with it's 200hp TBI 350 has as good or better throttle response then my '12 Hemi. Gets the same fuel economy, and 270k mi with zero problems! No EPS to replace, low-tech ABS ...rock-solid computer. No supid 'helpful' nannies to fight with.

Then I have an '03 4.7 HO in a G/Cherokee ..no MDF or anything. 240k, no problems, no tick, no warped manifolds. You push the pedal down and it snaps yer neck. It's quick and efforless. Doesn't need to downshift to pass anyone. I could pass my pickup in that thing before the 5.7 Hemi gets out of MDF mode! Our daughter thought all vehicles were like that. When she was doing her student driving she was telling the instructor something was wrong with their car. It was totally gutless ...lol

What is EPS and MDF?

OP
OP
J

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I hope the "Hurricane" moniker doesn't describe what the ownership experience will be like.

I guess we'll have to 'trust' they did their homework and see how it goes. :emotions34:

OP
OP
J

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
...What is EPS and MDF?

EPS = Electric Power Steering (2013+)

MDF = Medium Density Fiberboard. (2026+) Yeah, they're going to start making the new outer panels out of a new pressed fiber wood process going forward, rather than steel. Greener, lighter, lower CO2 input. And a nice clear finish your choice of Mahogany, Birch, Walnut...or the optional and classy Butcher Block. The Euro market is mandating it in 2026, so mfgrs don't have a choice. The good news is they won't rust. But the other problem is termites and ants munching on rockers & cab corners ..wheel housings, etc. When someone says, "my fenders were 'eaten away'!" ..they'll literally mean it. But that's ok. Orkin is gearing up and owners will be able to take their tk to them for "insect-proofing".

(Juuuusst kidding ...that was a screw-up. :rotflmao: I meant MDS (Multiple-Displacement-System). I have brain fog today..getting over a nasty cold. Cheers :waytogo:

Last edited:

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
LOL cue up all the Luddites. Modern vehicles make more power, get better fuel economy, AND last longer than ever before. But progress is a bad thing.

Go on back to the days of changing points and distributors, carbs, and engines worn out at 100k if you like. I’ll be in the 1,000 hp combustion/electric hybrids that are coming.

OP
OP
J

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
...Go on back to the days of changing points and distributors, carbs, and engines worn out at 100k if you like. I’ll be in the 1,000 hp combustion/electric hybrids that are coming.

Whaaat? You're making it sound like a pain. I loved changing and adjusting points!

It was easy...you took part of a matchbook cover you got free from the local supper-club, which was about the right gap. There was always a matchbook floating around on the floor somewhere. You kept adjusting till the matchbook slid through smoothly but not too tight. Then you put the dist cap back on, give the accelerator 3-pumps, start the car, take out your allen wrench (if it was like a Buick), and you reached back, trying to keep your tie out of the fan belts ....and fished around in the little cover till you found the screw ...and micro-adjusted the dwell by ear. Whoops, don't forget to pull off & plug the vacuum advance hose! Drive a mile or so, and repeat the process if needed. The process was even more delightful in sub-freezing temps with partially-numb fingers and a bitter wind blowing through darn cold ears. :p

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
They fixed turbo torque lag by using s small turbo for low inertia, then instead of using a single step waste gate exhaust valve to prevent the little turbo from overspeeding, they now use infinitely variable vane angle cam plate with closed loop control.
Lots more money and durability issues with mechanism coking. Son had to replace his @ 100,000 miles.

This is my whole point - making a little engine perform like a big one costs lots of money and gizmos and don't last.
Ford EcoBoost.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
ARGH, friggin Italian thinking, like the 2nd Gen ED's, argh. Just confirms my staying with MY 19 till the wheels fall off then glue them back on with Gorilla Glue and go more.

But you like Beemers, don't you?

Little in line 6's to rocket your 2 pound fo kart down the autobahn twice a year?
Perfect design for American trucks!

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Whaaat? You're making it sound like a pain. I loved changing and adjusting points!

It was easy...you took part of a matchbook cover you got free from the local supper-club, which was about the right gap. There was always a matchbook floating around on the floor somewhere. You kept adjusting till the matchbook slid through smoothly but not too tight. Then you put the dist cap back on, give the accelerator 3-pumps, start the car, take out your allen wrench (if it was like a Buick), and you reached back, trying to keep your tie out of the fan belts ....and fished around in the little cover till you found the screw ...and micro-adjusted the dwell by ear. Whoops, don't forget to pull off & plug the vacuum advance hose! Drive a mile or so, and repeat the process if needed. The process was even more delightful in sub-freezing temps with partially-numb fingers and a bitter wind blowing through darn cold ears. :p

When I had a hard belly I could lay on a fender and reach the distributor behind GM V8's.
That ship sailed decades back.
I even switched a couple old Briggs and Kohlers from points to electronic ignition.

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LOL cue up all the Luddites. Modern vehicles make more power, get better fuel economy, AND last longer than ever before. But progress is a bad thing.

Go on back to the days of changing points and distributors, carbs, and engines worn out at 100k if you like. I’ll be in the 1,000 hp combustion/electric hybrids that are coming.
Think you went back to far. With the advent of fuel injection, quality was very high late 90's and 2000's. Less complication. The stories of people getting silly miles out of gen 1 vortecs, early generation LS and jeep 4.0 are very common. When they did require work, it was simple and cheap fixes. That's all we ask. I know, emissions bla bla bla.

Agree though. Carbs and points, no thank you. HEI is nice.

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Owner of a 98 with Vortec 350 multi port injection at 255HP. Agree, throttle response from idle is strong. Power comes on hard and fast but looses steam above 4K. 4 speed trans is long to shift but that's ok. Gobs of torque at 2k RPM. Same MPG as a hemi. We are talking about a 25 year old truck. Brilliant motor for towing.

Buuutt, the modern truck motors with 68 speed transmissions are lightning quick. Tradeoff is complexity and costly repairs. I expect no different from the Hurricane. Yippy for the American consumer. :rolleyes:

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I had a hard belly I could lay on a fender and reach the distributor behind GM V8's.
That ship sailed decades back.
I even switched a couple old Briggs and Kohlers from points to electronic ignition.
Ahhhh, cuse me, it was a double fold on the match book cover for the old 327/396/454's. Gave U a .032 dwell, turn cap for a lil advanced timing, lmao.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
it reads like they’re going to use IHI Turbochargers from the description of “low inertia “ “high flow”…
but that’s what they originally presumed in earlier Daimler Chrysler models and went with a less expensive alternative.