New long block

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MaggieJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello,
A newb here!
I have a 2012 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4, Hemi 5.7, with 140,000 miles. Just blew my engine (cyl #1 deactivation control performance code) = shavings in oil control valve. I LOVE my truck and have decided to keep it and am having the dealership put in a new long block. My question is...what else should I have replaced while the mechanic is working on it - that may go bad soon ie water pump, thermostat???

Thank you for any advice

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hello,
A newb here!
I have a 2012 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4, Hemi 5.7, with 140,000 miles. Just blew my engine (cyl #1 deactivation control performance code) = shavings in oil control valve. I LOVE my truck and have decided to keep it and am having the dealership put in a new long block. My question is...what else should I have replaced while the mechanic is working on it - that may go bad soon ie water pump, thermostat???

Thank you for any advice
Did you do any further diagnostics besides inspecting the VCT Solenoid and finding metal shavings? I hope you didn't condemn the entire motor because of that. The likely culprit is a seized lifter roller bearing on cylinder #1 and a corresponding wiped cam lobe.

If that is the case I surely would not throw away my long block.

OP
OP
M

MaggieJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you for that! I will check into it further and possibly keep the old engine for a replacement for my jeep