New please help thumping noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jkerem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi all

New here to the forums and to the dodge truck world in general. I have always had a thing for duallies, especially ones that have semi wheels, dropped, and are diesel. Well the time has finally come to where I needed to buy a truck that could pulls my car to shows. being a lover of duallies and diesel I kinda new what I was looking for.

I came across a 2005 3500 2wd drw that really caught my eye, I'm sure the 24in semi wheels had something to so with it or the fact that it was a 6spd manual transmission. After a lot of going back and forth with the owner and having a friend who was local to the seller look at the truck I pulled the trigger and purchased said truck. I had a friend who drove me 3hrs southwest to pickup the truck. When we got there we were both suprised with the truck and how good and massive it looked. After shooting the ****, transferring of funds and titles we were on our way. I pretty much took the truck on a 3hour test drive. by the time I got home everything was good except one thing that still wasn't bad enough for me to list to the truck for sale.

So now we are at the point where I need some serious help. I'm mechanically inclined but for the life of me can't figure this one out....Driving the truck straight (any speed) there is a "thump thump thump" noise that sounds rotational coming from the floor boards. It seems that at lower speeds its louder then at higher speeds. when you turn the wheel to the LEFT the noise get a lot more pronounced, you turn the wheel to the RIGHT and it disappears, back to straight and it appears again. The day after I got the truck I text the previous owner and asked if he knew what it was and he told me he and his mechanic were both unsure but aware of the noise. He also told me that everything in the front end was replaced minus the bearings and the lower controls and bushings.

A week after ownership of the truck I can say I'm super happy with my purchase and that my only complaint is this THUMPING noise. I was finally able to jack the truck up off the ground front and rear. I checked the front end for play bearing and tie rod up/down left/right and both sides are 100% tight. I spun the front wheels, the right was quiet however the left side have a sorta chalky/dirty sound. Im leaning towards just replacing both hub assemblies but I'm not 100% sure those are my problem.

Ive done a lot of searching and really coming up sort with info specific to 2WD trucks. Any help would be great

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The first 2 things I would look at given the symptoms:

#1 Wheel hubs/bearings
#2 Warped brake rotor

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like the passenger wheel bearing to me. When you turn right, you take pressure off that side, which is why it goes away. And vice versa for turning left making it worse.

OP
OP
J

jkerem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The first 2 things I would look at given the symptoms:

#1 Wheel hubs/bearings
#2 Warped brake rotor

Sounds like the passenger wheel bearing to me. When you turn right, you take pressure off that side, which is why it goes away. And vice versa for turning left making it worse.

This is what I was thinking. I ubderstand wheel bearings and how to figure out which one is bad. But in this case with no play at all and no sort of humming noise it's got me stumped. It's strange that it would be the right one but yet when the truck is jacked up it sounds like the left one has more noise.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do them both then haha. My passenger side was bad, only noticeable when braking above 35 mph. Otherwise it didn't make noise. Now I think my driver is going too.

OP
OP
J

jkerem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Replaced both hubs today... drive side was shot but neither had any play.