New Ram Owner question on stock intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cbarnha3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
New to the forum, I got a 2014 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab. Has all the bells and whistles. My girlfriend and I have a 32' camper we pull with it. I was looking to make a little more power or just spend some money. I was wondering if the new intake management system would be better than an after market CAI. Was looking into S&B or Vararam. Had a volant on my f150 and liked it. Also looking for some good sites to shop at other than auto anything or jcwhitney or any of the big box sites I already know about. Thanks for the help

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome! I threw an S&B on mine not long after I bought the truck. Sounds nice and is built to be able to flow more air. I like it. This is a topic that you will get mixed opinions on.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome to the site. If you are looking for the BEST vendor for parts and mod's for your truck, contact Matt at Moe's Performance. He is a sponsor here and has a spotless reputation.
Jay

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Tuner gets you the most power or bang for your buck. But popular mods are CAI, exhaust (headers, ypipe and muffler back kit) oil catch can, and tuner. Tuner helps a lot but would be smarter to get the other mods done before getting the tuner and getting a custom tune made for your setup. Or get the tuner and use a canned tune but get the custom tune for the mods you plan to do. then over time do the mods and then use the custom tune.

I want a tuner, but $450 is a lot for me, and the fact that its a leased truck lol (for now).

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
I am a big fan of the Vararam and S&B intakes, but a tuner is going to be much more beneficial for you while towing. Most of the aftermarket intakes will only show gains at WOT as apposed to a tuner which shows gains all the way through the rpm band at both part throttle and wide open throttle.

My recommendation is 1 of the Diablo tuners w/ the upgraded Hemifever custom tuning. Bang for buck, it is the single best mod you can add to your truck.

Reactions: SyN
OP
OP
C

cbarnha3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the input from everyone. I had a Bully Dog Triple Dog Tuner on my 06 F-150. I gave it to the guy with the truck when i sold it. He said I can have it back because he took it off. It will work with my new dodge but I don't want to void the lifetime power train. I will have to find out if it does. Just throwing this out there, my 06 lariat wouldn't pull my 32 foot camper more than 65mph, where as my 14 ram will pull it uphill at 70+ with plenty of throttle left. Couldn't be happier to own a ram again. Think my girlfriend is getting me some nerf bars, tonneau cover, and a few other things for christmas for me. Ill post pics after I get everything installed. I will probably buy a S&B intake to throw on while I am doing the rest

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'll bet there aren't many 26 year olds that own 32' campers. You have more courage than I do, if you'll pull that thing 70 mph.

OP
OP
C

cbarnha3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pulls it like a champ, and doesn't wobble at all. I'm normally not pulling it like that but just wanted to test it out and see how it handled it. As far as the camper goes, it was way bigger than what we were going to get but they accepted our offer even after the sales rep told us there was no way they would because he knew what he sold it to them for.