New rear control arms from Freedom Offroad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Those look pretty nice, will be replacing rear arms shortly (109k on the stock ones).

I like that these have a factory like rubber bushing, don’t want squeaky poly bushings.........my factory ones lasted this long so a beefier arm with rubber bushings is very appealing to me.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
The only thing that is concerning is that the rubber bushing diameter is larger, meaning it will allow more flex on the lower arms.

As we all know, wheel-hop kills drivetrain components. They may be able to do a custom bushing with a harder durometer material.

OP
OP
ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The only thing that is concerning is that the rubber bushing diameter is larger, meaning it will allow more flex on the lower arms.

As we all know, wheel-hop kills drivetrain components. They may be able to do a custom bushing with a harder durometer material.

And have we established is the big bushing the one responsible for wheel hop in the factory arms? i'd have imagined because of the way the inner sleeves ares made that perhaps that had something to do with it ? That and the lightweight construction on the arms, is like holding both sides together with straws.

48752524016_d0e8bc5b8c_k.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

48752711847_178f661f48_k.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

i've never experienced wheel hop in the truck even with the factory arms but i'm not into street/track burnouts so i can't tell you better. I'll report anything abnormal i see/feel out of this arms though, i promise i won't sugar coat it. i already know Clevite like bushings are not the best for offroading especially when you're in 3 wheels because the bushings really don't flex much. My truck sees a lot of 3 wheeling on most weekends but my shocks are just 1.5" longer than stock so i haven't thought about having flexy bushings. If anything i'm putting more stress on the bushings and mounts so perhaps that's why the chitty bushings in the Mevotech didn't hold a candle. The Stockers didn't mind this at all and i had at least 20k hard miles on them before i took them off and replaced with MEvotech. Fact i replaced them for prevention not because they were toasted because they're rubber and they had 80k miles. (i bought the truck used) i've never destroyed a rubbber bushing this fast before :) and i swear the stockers saw a lot more offroad action that my Mevotechs did.

If this FO bushings end up sucking like the Mevotechs i'll do Core or test a set from the Jeep JT. All i ever wanted was a maintenance free bushing just like the stockers. That's the whole reason i went with cheap arms but better frame. Clevite should not be bad on the street, but if anything i'd think a bigger bushing can absorb more energy than a little one. knocking on wood. So far the indication is they will perform just fine. i'll keep you guys posted.

Last edited:

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As with any of the rubber bushing type do not tighten until you have the weight of the truck sitting on the ground

OP
OP
ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's only a matter of time before we'll get 15 different options when it comes to rear control arms :)
Grunt Fab makes control arms that use sealed adj flex joints at both ends of the arm and have a hex head machined into the tube adaptor so they can be adjusted with the truck on the ground.
2” diameter and 1/4” thick dom tubing. Same tubing that rock bouncers use.

0266033D-B2DF-4634-84ED-9098DE2FF83B.jpeg

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
Freedom Offroad is now offering rear control arms for our trucks.
I've used their front A UCA's in my Silverado, had them for about 40k miles before i sold the truck, zero issues with them so i'd figure i should give them a try to get rid of my Chinese rear Mevotechs. I already bought their Freedom offroad panhard but haven't installed it yet. The Panhard seems nicely built and given its weight seems fairly heavy duty.

Anyways here are the arms, what's most interesting is that the 2020 Jeep Gladiator is listed in their app compatibility so if that's the case and the Gladiator rear arms fit into our 4th gen trucks i'll say the aftermarket for rear control arms is about to open a lot more for us :)

You have fixed factory lenght lowers part# FO-D708R-OE
https://www.freedomoffroadusa.com/2...-rear-lower-control-arms-oem-replacement.html

and uppers, part# FO-D707R-OE
https://www.freedomoffroadusa.com/2...-rear-upper-control-arms-oem-replacement.html

Or if you want adjustable lowers (0-6"), part# FO-D708R-ADJ
https://www.freedomoffroadusa.com/2...-adj-rear-lower-control-arm-for-0-6-lift.html

or adjustable uppers (0-6"), part# FO-D707R-ADJ
https://www.freedomoffroadusa.com/2...-adj-rear-upper-control-arm-for-0-6-lift.html

are those website prices for 1 or 2? Seems pretty cheap is that's for the pair

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
That’s for both sides or a set.

Going to measure the durometer of the bushings this weekend.

You receive (4) much more robust control arms for <$300 with lifetime warranty.

Last edited:

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
It’s difficult to get accurate flatness readings without a solid chunk. Freedom’s bushings are about 10A more surface hardness compared to my OEM made in Mexico control arm bushings with 5 years of dry rot.

DC643B0A-7396-488A-9808-E90615D91EC3.jpeg

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Yeah I might have to get the driveway warm since the track isn’t opening anytime soon.

DonnyP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you been able to break them in roasting the tires to let them know who's the boss ? :)

Yeah I might have to get the driveway warm since the track isn’t opening anytime soon.

Your review on these? I'm currently running almost 9" of suspension lift. I have 5" rear coils and 1" spacers. I've been looking to replace the control arms in the rear but don't want to spend 600 to do so.

These might have to do. I wonder if they make any other parts for our truck?