New Tires for 2020 Limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Greetings all. As I mentioned in my intro thread in the other section, I'll be ditching the 22" rims and moving to some 18" Rebel rims. I really do like the design of the 22-inchers, but I do not want those large rims for winter/mild-offroading. So I now have some Rebel rims sitting in the garage, and am now driving myself insane with tire research.

I don't want to go a lot larger over stock size, as I'll already be losing some MPG/power by going with a heavier tire. I think I've settled on 285/65R18 or 275/65R18. It comes down to LT (E rated) vs SL.

If I go 275/65, it'll be Falken Wildpeaks. If I go 285/65, it'll be General Grabber ATX. Based on the research I've done, the Grabbers are a little better at everything, but they aren't available in many sizes below LT (E).

Looking for any advice you can give. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
How about 305/60 nitto terra grappler g2 xl which come in at 54lbs and 12.2 wide on a 9" wheel, same height as stock also

Utah Biker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm in the exact situation that OP is. I just ordered some 18" wheels with a similar offset as factory (18mm) and my dealership is ordering the Wildpeaks AT3W in the LT275/70R18 as well as the 285/65R18.

With airride I don't want to mess with any lifts so I'm attempting to go bigger than stock, but not too big to cause any issues. I'm hoping the 275/70s will fit without any issues. Wheels will be here in about a week or two.

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The 275/70 will fit fine on oem wheels with no interference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
jasonw

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
I'm in the exact situation that OP is. I just ordered some 18" wheels with a similar offset as factory (18mm) and my dealership is ordering the Wildpeaks AT3W in the LT275/70R18 as well as the 285/65R18.

With airride I don't want to mess with any lifts so I'm attempting to go bigger than stock, but not too big to cause any issues. I'm hoping the 275/70s will fit without any issues. Wheels will be here in about a week or two.

I've modified my original post, as I have narrowed down my options quite a bit.

The 275/70 (33") will fit fine, as that is the stock size on the Rebel. The Rebel's do have a 1" lift compared to other Rams, but from what I've read, until you start approaching 34" size, there should not be much, if any, rubbing unless you start driving around in entry/exit mode.

If you're content moving to an E rated tire, those sizes are fine. I'm still on the fence myself on E vs SL. Let us know what you decide!

Utah Biker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you're content moving to an E rated tire, those sizes are fine. I'm still on the fence myself on E vs SL. Let us know what you decide!

Originally I was going to go with the Wildpeak 275/65R18 (their LT/SL versions). They are quite a bit lighter as well, but after reading reviews, all/most of the positive reviews for the Wildpeaks are in the E versions. I'll post up some pictures and a short initial review once I get them mounted up, but I'm 99% sure I'm going to stick with the 275/70 Wildpeaks

OP
OP
jasonw

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Originally I was going to go with the Wildpeak 275/65R18 (their LT/SL versions). They are quite a bit lighter as well, but after reading reviews, all/most of the positive reviews for the Wildpeaks are in the E versions. I'll post up some pictures and a short initial review once I get them mounted up, but I'm 99% sure I'm going to stick with the 275/70 Wildpeaks

I've read positive things about both SL and LT versions. Most of the negative reviews were from when they were brand new design, which happens to a lot of tires, it seems. Most recent P rated ones I've seen have, for the vast majority, been positive.

I've decided to stick with P rated, factory size. If these wear funny, badly, or something happens between now and 30-40k, I'm open to changing my mind. If I was in CO, or Utah, or somewhere else that had some trails with sharper obstacles, I'd be more included for the tires with more plies, and willing to sacrifice the MPG/power.

From what I've read from folks who've actually talked to Falken, is the P rated tires are actually 5 ply tires, hence why they weigh a couple pounds more than equivalent brands in the same size. They also do something funky with the 2 ply sidewall to try and give it the strength of a 3-4 ply. Will be my first Falkens, we'll see what happens.

https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/208205-new-falken-tire-t3w-68.html
Sidewall: 2 -PLY POLYESTER WITH HIGH PLY TURN‐UPS
Tread: 2-PLY POLYESTER, 2 FULL STEEL WIDTH BELTS, 1 FULL POLYMIDE (NYLON) CAP PLY

If this is a mistake, and I end up with LTs, I'll be the first to admit you were right. :)

Last edited:

Utah Biker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've read positive things about both SL and LT versions. Most of the negative reviews were from when they were brand new design, which happens to a lot of tires, it seems. Most recent P rated ones I've seen have, for the vast majority, been positive.

I've decided to stick with P rated, factory size. If these wear funny, badly, or something happens between now and 30-40k, I'm open to changing my mind. If I was in CO, or Utah, or somewhere else that had some trails with sharper obstacles, I'd be more included for the tires with more plies, and willing to sacrifice the MPG/power.

From what I've read from folks who've actually talked to Falken, is the P rated tires are actually 5 ply tires, hence why they weigh a couple pounds more than equivalent brands in the same size. They also do something funky with the 2 ply sidewall to try and give it the strength of a 3-4 ply. Will be my first Falkens, we'll see what happens.

If this is a mistake, and I end up with LTs, I'll be the first to admit you were right. :)

My primary reason for going to E was because we'll be doing a significant amount of camping with the truck and there will be plenty of off road opportunity where having that extra protection will probably help with my poor line choices while searching for a camp spot :)

I didn't know that about their P rated tires... I think either option is going to be a solid tire. Now that I'm getting a pair, I'm noticing how many people around me run the Wildpeaks. They are everywhere here in Utah!

rockyrock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Any update on this? Did you get them? I am about to pull the trigger on some Wildpeaks. I was set on Geolanders but my tire guy talked me into Wildpeaks instead.

OP
OP
jasonw

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Yes, have the Wildpeaks in stock size (32") on my truck now, SL rating. About 1200 miles on them so far. No balancing issues. Obviously they are a little bit louder than the stock highway tires, especially on turns at highway speeds, but not very noticeable.

We'll see if they live up to their reputation this winter. Our temps just started dropping into the high 30s/low 40s at night, so it might not be too long before we get a snow storm. You never know, sometimes we get them in October, sometimes we have to wait until March.

Utah Biker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine measure around 33" and I've had them now for about 2k miles. I've even towed an 8k trailer on a camping trip with them. I'm really happy so far. I don't notice a nose difference at all. Ride quality is similar to my stock tires as well.

We'll see how they do in the winter but I suspect they'll do really well, based on the really positive reviews we see.

I will say that I get a very slight rub when I have the wheel cranked and I'm backing up. It doesn't happen all the time but I've heard it a couple times now. I have the stock lift, so I'd say these are right on the line for "biggest tire I can put on my truck with a stock lift" question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barty88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco diesel
I have a 2019 1500 Laramie with the 22's. Whats the max tire diameter/ width that wont rub in normal driving? I have the stock 285/45 22's on and turning the wheel all the way looks like theres still a ton of clearance. Looking at as big as 35/12.5 22's ... an inch wider and over 2 inches taller ( but just over an inch in radius)... anyonw what the max tire diamter is? Or do i have to do a 2" levelling kit all around? If so... recommendations?