New tires lowers mpg

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wwest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just replaced all the tires with the same ones that came with the Longhorn 2500 '21. The MPG dropped 2.5 with the new tires...why??? Exact same tires!!! Any thoughts what would make such a drastic reduction? I put 1000 miles on the tires, recorded mpg by hand and it matches the truck computer very close,and have done absolutely nothing different with the truck...crazy??

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Just replaced all the tires with the same ones that came with the Longhorn 2500 '21. The MPG dropped 2.5 with the new tires...why??? Exact same tires!!! Any thoughts what would make such a drastic reduction? I put 1000 miles on the tires, recorded mpg by hand and it matches the truck computer very close,and have done absolutely nothing different with the truck...crazy??
Had same thing happen to me on my 2006, my best guess is they made some sort of changes to the tread compound as I lost 1.75 mpg hand calculated...

OnTheTrails

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9L
The MPG dropped 2.5 with the new tires...why??? Exact same tires!!!

You may already know this, but when the tires are broken in the rolling resistance is usually better and you get a slight increase in MPG. For many people, they forget and get used to this for the second half of the tire life. But then when they get the exact same new tire, the brand new tread results in a slight decrease in MPG for awhile (until they are broken in again).

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
You may already know this, but when the tires are broken in the rolling resistance is usually better and you get a slight increase in MPG. For many people, they forget and get used to this for the second half of the tire life. But then when they get the exact same new tire, the brand new tread results in a slight decrease in MPG for awhile (until they are broken in again).

In my case I would think after almost 2 years of usage they would have been broke in, my mpg never did improve...