Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AJAY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good evening ladies and gentleman,

Got some new tires for my 2018 Ram 1500 yesterday. Got a sweet deal on them at Discount Tires. Cheaper than what they quoted me for Cooper AT3 XLT in the same size. Got the Nitto Trail Grappler M/T in LT295/70r17 to replace the Toyo ATII in LT285/70r17.

20191006_111622.jpg

After getting installed i got on the freeway to test them. First off. Wow. They ride smooth! But then I felt uncomfortable going 70mph because the steering was really light and would wander. Dangerous even. I got off the freeway the first chance i got and pulled into a gas station. I checked the tires and every looked fine. Then I decided to checked the tire pressure and they were set to 52lbs! I looked closer at the tread and could tell that the center tread was only making contact. I quickly air down the fronts to 44lbs and the rears to 41lbs. Man what a difference. The tires still road smoothly. Better than the Toyo. The truck felt planted again. They have a little hum to them but nothing annoying. The funny thing is they looked skinner then the Toyo I replaced? Idk but they look awesome.

20191006_111658.jpg

Got them in Pheonix and got a chance do a 300 mile review on them going home.

20191006_111714.jpg

You can tell the Nittos are heavier. Having to step on the brake pedal a little more. They have more grip then the old wore Toyos. The still had life in them but were starting to chuck a little. My tire gauge showed 5/32 to 6/32 on all four. I am hard on my tires. But man are these tire smooth even at 80mph. At the beginning the tires felt really soft like I had 20lbs in the tire. I am thinking that is coming from the deep tread depth. But after awhile I got use to them and it just went away after some miles on them. I took a mpg hit though. Going over 75 I needed to step on the accelerator pedal more to keep the same speed. But under 70 it seems about the same. Also hitting uneven roads, gaps in the road, or going over bumps are more forgiving in the Nittos. The funny thing is the Toyos had unless air pressure compared to the Nittos lol

20191006_111725.jpg

I love the look of tires and feel like I have a different truck now. I feel more manly.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
I have Nitto Dura Grabbers on my 2500 - very good tires

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Just imagine how manly you'd feel if you went with 37's, LOL.

Truck looks really good! Aggressive. I've run M/T's on the street for 20+ yrs. Better in snow, way better in the rain. Good luck with them.

OP
OP
AJAY

AJAY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks!
Yea I am loving them. They are really smooth. Leaving the house this morning the ride was not harsh. I should've done this earlier! hahah

I'll do 37s one of these days! hahahah

16WhiteQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had the same size on my 08' Powerwagon, they get very loud when they wear.

Highway trips sucked towards the end of their life.

Quick wear and the noise were my only complaints, outside of that I loved them!

OP
OP
AJAY

AJAY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had the same size on my 08' Powerwagon, they get very loud when they wear.

Highway trips sucked towards the end of their life.

Quick wear and the noise were my only complaints, outside of that I loved them!

So how many miles did you get out of the tires? This is our truck we use to get house supplies.

16WhiteQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got about 20-25K before I sold them with 1/3 or so left on them.

Mina also dry rotter/cracked between the treads on both sets.

MyPW was a 6spd stick so it was a very torqey and ate tires with the way I drove it (no towing or hauling, just a bit of hot rodding

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just put my snow tires on and pulled off the ridge grapplers for winter. I forgot just how heavy they were, but they ride real nice and they definitely looked better on the truck than my snows.

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I had the trail grapplers on my old truck and got 40k miles out of them before I took them before winter. Had just enough to pass inspection. But like 16whiteqc said they got very noisy when they wore down. Loved them otherwise.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Congrats, love the Nittos!