New to me truck wont start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Arlucian

Arlucian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nice, mine was that same way it stays on now and idles good now. My issue was I ran it with bad gas and I put 92 octane with gumont and fuel injector cleaner. I don't run mine as much because I need to do an oil change, and new plugs. Does your 318 shake the mirrors when it's warmed up?

No if i couldnt hear it theres be only a vague indication its running via my ass. Runs pretty smooth once warm. yeah ill probably run premium next tank just cause its cheap and id like to see how she does. Did you have to floor it to get it started when you had the bad gas?

codered

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 QCSB
Engine
magnum 5.9/360
No if i couldnt hear it theres be only a vague indication its running via my ass. Runs pretty smooth once warm. yeah ill probably run premium next tank just cause its cheap and id like to see how she does. Did you have to floor it to get it started when you had the bad gas?
1994 dodge ram gutted cat startup and revving.: http://youtu.be/LNpsY44BCRs
The video was when I had bad gas. It's running by itself now yes I floored the hell outta it. I was pissed off at the time so I had it at 2500-3000 at 5 mins, 3000-4000 2 minutes, and 4k to redline I did 2 second intervals I spiked it about 15 times and then I slowly let the revs back down about to 2500 and let it run there for 5 more minutes and it runs by itself. If the gas has been sitting for about 3-5 months it goes bad. Always keep your foot on the pedal and you should be running. 92 octane has a higher point of detonation so it would be better to run 92 than 87 or lower octane.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Arlucian

Arlucian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1994 dodge ram gutted cat startup and revving.: http://youtu.be/LNpsY44BCRs
The video was when I had bad gas. It's running by itself now yes I floored the hell outta it. I was pissed off at the time so I had it at 2500-3000 at 5 mins, 3000-4000 2 minutes, and 4k to redline I did 2 second intervals I spiked it about 15 times and then I slowly let the revs back down about to 2500 and let it run there for 5 more minutes and it runs by itself. If the gas has been sitting for about 3-5 months it goes bad. Always keep your foot on the pedal and you should be running. 92 octane has a higher point of detonation so it would be better to run 92 than 87 or lower octane.

I see your potato was filming well that day. hehe I dont think i have bad gas though im just not getting that feeling especially considering it idles smooth once warm. That gas was fresh i just filled it up the day before it didnt start. But yeah until i get paid im gonna have to keep my foot on the pedal to warm her up. Glad i got her going again!

codered

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 QCSB
Engine
magnum 5.9/360
I see your potato was filming well that day. hehe I dont think i have bad gas though im just not getting that feeling especially considering it idles smooth once warm. That gas was fresh i just filled it up the day before it didnt start. But yeah until i get paid im gonna have to keep my foot on the pedal to warm her up. Glad i got her going again!
Yeah a 500$ tablet with a ****** camera. Sounds like a IAC, mine just sat for 4 years so it needs to be run. For future reference T25 screwdriver fits well for the torx screws. The IAC is screwed in very tight good luck, the T25 screwdriver I used just didn't cut it.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Are you still running stock wheels? Not to thread jack, but when I got my new tires put on, dude at the shop told me they were crap because they wouldnt balance. I took them to another shop, the dude at shop #2 mounted them, and as soon as he started balancing he goes "that other guy is an idiot, its just your wheels, they're totally effed!" Maybe worth checking?

Now I need new wheels.

OP, do what DD94 said and get her running first. Thats where I was at a few months ago. :word:
Nope. American Racing wheels. They require sticky weights which are a ***** to use.
:) Got her running today the solution: Accidentally starting it when trying to put it into clearflood mode foot all the way down started firing firing firing AND BOOM was going under its own power and died got it going again with my foot all the way down of course. Was kinda rocky for a while had to sit there giving it throttle for a while but once it felt good i eased off the throttle and she stayed at idle and idled smoothly. I think my IAC is stuck open thats the only conclusion i can come to. So new one on pay day.

Good to hear it finally fired off under its own power. :favorites13: