Truck won’t always start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justice2526

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
Not sure if this is the correct forum, but I’ll ask anyway. I have a 2020 Ram 1500 5.7 Liter Hemi Night Edition. A few months ago, I attempted to use my remote start, and all I heard was a click. The vehicle didn’t start, so I started it manually. This happened on more than one occasion. Fast forward a few months, I start to just get a “click” when trying to start the truck manually with the start/stop button. This issue has become increasingly worse, to the point where it took me about 20 tries to get it to start last week. I replaced the battery last week, same thing happened again today. Asking for suggestions before I bring it to the dealership and they tell me they can’t do anything unless it happens there. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't have push button start but I had the same thing and it was the cheap aftermarket key fob going out. Do you have another key and if so is the issue the same for both of them?

Another thing that never hurts to try with electrical issues, is to go through the fuse box and make sure every fuse and relay is fully pushed into place. You'll usually find several that have partially worked their way out.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Might try cleaning the battery terminals and ground connections .

OP
OP
J

Justice2526

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
Brand new battery, and the same thing happens with both key fobs. I saw something on Reddit indicating people have had problems with the start/stop button. I might just order one and replace it.

aces-n-eights

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This may be a long shot, but we had a vehicle with an early generation push button start that was doing what yours is doing. It turned out to be a sticky brake light switch. The car needs to have a "brake depressed" signal to start and that comes from the brake light switch. Might be something else to check...

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I had the same thing. Ended up replacing the starter (under warranty). Must have had a bad spot in it.