New to Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

23Bighorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just bought a brand new 2023 Ram 1500 Bighorn Hemi Etorque 5.7L V8. Been a Chevy guy for 24 years. Always changed the oil in my Chevy 350 and vortec 5.3 at 3000 miles. I’m planning on doing the same with my new Ram. I’ve been researching different brands and different weights for 2 weeks now trying to develop some sort of plan of action to keep this truck running smooth for a long time. I know 5w20 is recommended but I got trust issues with that…. Any recommendations as to what brands and weights that’ll keep this truck on the road a long time would be much appreciated. Thank you

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Check out the synthetic oil thread. It’s long, so quick synopsis is, use Redline 5-30 with a royal purple filter.

Also, having 3000 mile oci drilled into my brain by my father back in the sixties, I’m up to 6000 mile or six month oci . Modern synthetic oils and synthetic filters are more than up to the task. This is proven by multiple oil analysis which others have posted.

OP
OP
23Bighorn

23Bighorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you Sir, should I be worried about warranty? I’m honestly more concerned about the longevity of my trucks Hemi engine than I am warranty. However if something were to happen I could just dump the 5w30 and put in the 5w20…..

wrigley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just bought a brand new 2023 Ram 1500 Bighorn Hemi Etorque 5.7L V8. Been a Chevy guy for 24 years. Always changed the oil in my Chevy 350 and vortec 5.3 at 3000 miles. I’m planning on doing the same with my new Ram. I’ve been researching different brands and different weights for 2 weeks now trying to develop some sort of plan of action to keep this truck running smooth for a long time. I know 5w20 is recommended but I got trust issues with that…. Any recommendations as to what brands and weights that’ll keep this truck on the road a long time would be much appreciated. Thank you
I bought the same truck in May of this year and it's also my first RAM. Just turned 5000 miles and will be doing my first oil change soon. I have been talking to a handful of people who I know that have RAMs and the majority of them recommend 5W-30. I've always been a Purolator guy when it comes to oil filters.

Mike