New truck time?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
If your towing for WORK, spend the BUCKS, buy the BIG 3500 Cummins and Load up the toys.... then Write off the entire purchase cost on First Year Depreciation, and take the HUGE tax deduction! It's affectionately refereed to as "the Hummer Deduction"...

I had three different 2500's since '99.
In '17 I bought my first 3500 diesel and knew right then I would never go back to 2500.

Ramrodd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yup, diesel. I use the filter life count down in the cluster. When it gets to about 15-20% I would change them both. The fuel filter and oil filter were always a point or two within each other.

So what did it cost you to service the engine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
So what did it cost you to service the engine?

I don't remember exactly. I do know i prepaid for the oil changes. There was a deal going for them for maybe $70 when the regular price was around $100-110.

I would have to dig through the receipts and lookup what the fuel filters cost.

Nickx86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hey guys,
I’ve been hanging out on these forums quite a bit. My extended warranty comes up on my truck next year, and I need to decide what to do with it so I can keep an eye out for deals or do research. Sorry if this is long, here goes.

I currently have a 2015 2500 mega 6.4 w/ 3.73. I tow three trailers: two for work and one for fun.
For work I have one that it around 5k that I tow almost daily, the second is a dump trailer that averages 8k, but can be as much as 10k. I tow the dumper about 2X per month.
For fun we pull about 8k up in the CO mountains once per month, and take a couple longer trips with it throughout the year as well.

Now, the truck pulls for work just fine except when the dumper gets heavy...the drop between first and second gear is a lot as you know.
However, towing up the hill here is a different story. Just about every trip up the truck heats up to the point of crying about it and sometimes going into the limpy tow mode locking us into 30mph. It’s never stranded us, but this can’t be good for the truck. We’re looking at adding another ATV to the mix in a year or so too, and the extra strain is sure to make us stop. A few years ago I had the dealer look at the cooling system and they determined that my cooling fan was bad and they replaced it. I’m tempted to have them look at that again, as I don’t hear the fan screaming when it gets warm either.

With my warranty going away I’d be out any repairs from my pocket, and I already feel like I push this truck to its limit. BUT I own this truck in full.

The way I see it I have three options:
1) Re-gear my current truck, and have the dealer make sure my fan is good. Would this solve my issues and have it last longer for me? I was planning on keeping it for at least 10-12 years. I can’t afford for this thing to be in the shop in the future, as I need it for my business.

2) Get a new 2500 mega 6.4 with the newer 8 speed. Again, does this solve my problem?

3) Upgrade to a 3500 mega Cummins. I’m sure this would fit the bill, though not sure if I should grab on with the 6 speed or wait for the 10. I’d need the 3500 with this config to be sure my payload is high enough. The downside to this is I know very little about the diesels or diesels in general. I know they have more filters to change more often, get better mileage, require DEF, and aren’t fans of the cold. That’s about it.
(I do all my own maintenance, so I’d have a bit to learn...but if I can change my own tranny and gears fluid I’m sure I’d manage.)

So has anyone pulled with both the newer ones hard? If I do another new truck I’d want it to last me at least 10 years again, and I don’t want to put money into this one if I’m already at its limit.

depending on your finances, your simplest fix to the strain would be a set of 4.56 minimum gearing but 4.88 would be more ideal for towing if you want to keep the truck cause it has 3.73.

2019 6.4 w 4.10 would tow it easier but your still going to be working it hard. You will be stuck in 3rd gear if you floating between 1-2 right now

best option is 6.7 Cummins due to elevation, 3500 srw would yield you the aisin over 68rfe (68rfe isn’t not a bad transmission left a lone)

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
The newly re-engineered High Output Cummins 6.7L has a 32 quart radiator and, of course, a 12 quart oil pan. All designed to run strong and cool. This engine is also paired with the heavy duty Aisin 6 speed transmission that is very much like transmissions in over the road semis. I have this drive train in a 2019 3500 Laramie dually I bought new last January and I love everything about this truck.

To be sure I was properly breaking in the Cummins, within the 1st 6,000 miles I did a couple of long distance "run ins" with 2 pallets of brick (7,000 pounds) in the bed, and another locally just driving a round through our local hills with 5,000 pounds of sand. It never broke a sweat. The way I see it from all you said it sounds to me that you ought to get a truck that will do anything you ask of it. The H.O. 6.7 and Aisin 6 speed will, w/ 400hp and 1,000 lb ft of torque. And, you will be amazed at how quiet this engine is.

Here's Cummins Lead Engineer for Cummins pick-up truck engines, Roger Hapka, at the 2019 Detroit Auto Show explaining everything that was done to create the newest High Output 6/7. Notice the all knowing, confident smile on his face when asked how they did it....

Last edited:

Buck1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 / 2015
Engine
5.7 Hemi / 6.7 Cummins
Hey guys,
I’ve been hanging out on these forums quite a bit. My extended warranty comes up on my truck next year, and I need to decide what to do with it so I can keep an eye out for deals or do research. Sorry if this is long, here goes.

I currently have a 2015 2500 mega 6.4 w/ 3.73. I tow three trailers: two for work and one for fun.
For work I have one that it around 5k that I tow almost daily, the second is a dump trailer that averages 8k, but can be as much as 10k. I tow the dumper about 2X per month.
For fun we pull about 8k up in the CO mountains once per month, and take a couple longer trips with it throughout the year as well.

Now, the truck pulls for work just fine except when the dumper gets heavy...the drop between first and second gear is a lot as you know.
However, towing up the hill here is a different story. Just about every trip up the truck heats up to the point of crying about it and sometimes going into the limpy tow mode locking us into 30mph. It’s never stranded us, but this can’t be good for the truck. We’re looking at adding another ATV to the mix in a year or so too, and the extra strain is sure to make us stop. A few years ago I had the dealer look at the cooling system and they determined that my cooling fan was bad and they replaced it. I’m tempted to have them look at that again, as I don’t hear the fan screaming when it gets warm either.

With my warranty going away I’d be out any repairs from my pocket, and I already feel like I push this truck to its limit. BUT I own this truck in full.

1) Re-gear my current truck, and have the dealer make sure my fan is good. Would this solve my issues and have it last longer for me? I was planning on keeping it for at least 10-12 years. I can’t afford for this thing to be in the shop in the future, as I need it for my business.

2) Get a new 2500 mega 6.4 with the newer 8 speed. Again, does this solve my problem?

3) Upgrade to a 3500 mega Cummins. I’m sure this would fit the bill, though not sure if I should grab on with the 6 speed or wait for the 10. I’d need the 3500 with this config to be sure my payload is high enough. The downside to this is I know very little about the diesels or diesels in general. I know they have more filters to change more often, get better mileage, require DEF, and aren’t fans of the cold. That’s about it.
(I do all my own maintenance, so I’d have a bit to learn...but if I can change my own tranny and gears fluid I’m sure I’d manage.)

So has anyone pulled with both the newer ones hard? If I do another new truck I’d want it to last me at least 10 years again, and I don’t want to put money into this one if I’m already at its limit.

I own a 2015 3500 with the 6.7 Cummins. Never had an issue hauling anything from bumper pull to goose neck. I also live in Canada and have had no issues with the cold weather. Go big, easier on truck at end of the day. Have ordered a 2021, with same engine. I do my own oil and filters and it’s easy, and saves money.

TorqueWagon

Reaction score
Westmost point in the contiguous United States
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Hey guys,

I have an older 2007.5 Cummins 6.7L 3500. It has 207,000 on it. I tow very similar to what you describe with 14,000 Lb dump trailer load sometimes, a 32ft travel trailer towed frequently on mountain terrain. I cannot say enough how great this truck is! I know you are talking about a new or newer truck, but the pedigree carries on. Don't limit yourself. I came up through the ranks with bigger and bigger pickups as my needs increased. I wish I had bought the 3500/cummins right from the start. It is reliable, powerful, and will always meet the ever changing needs. I like that the truck is heavy and therefore safer when towing larger loads. Go big! you wont regret it. Maintenance on the diesel is easy. Don't be afraid of that. My truck still looks and feels almost brand new inside and out even though it is a work truck and gets used a lot, on and off the pavement. The engine runs pretty much like new. I have no cold weather issues. I'm very happy with it and you will be too. Just keep your fuel and oil clean and it'll run forever. I'm planning on going 400k miles at least. Looking very good for that. If I were you I'd shop far and wide for a slightly used model just to save taking the new vehicle hit on depreciation. Best of luck to you!

Greg Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins diesel 6.4
I own a 2014 3500 Cummins 6.7 and If you sell your current truck I highly recommend you invest in a diesel, yes it is more expensive, but mine is deleted which cuts down on some of my expenses..It is a pulling beast now! I live in Colorado and pull a 18k toy hauler up and down the Rockies with no issues..I expect to keep it another 5 years and then buy an electric truck!

Site-r

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500
Engine
Cummings 6.7
The fuel filters are just over $100. If you have worked on vehicles, it is not hard to replace them yourself. Also videos on utube.
They are replaced every 15,000 miles. PM me with questions. Buying a cummins was the best thing I have done.

Lucy Girl

Military, Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Hey guys,

Nice manuscript lol

Texas Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hey guys,

Hey guys,

Texas Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Like everyone else said- Cummins is the answer. If you can afford it now it will last a lifetime. Oil changes are less frequent and filters aren’t that bad. Little messy to change but who doesn’t love the smell of diesel? Bought a 2500 mega cab new in 16 and haven’t looked back. When I pay it off I’m going to add another one to the family. I pull a 11k (empty weight) 5th wheel with it with no problems

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like an 8 speed, 4.10 gears and upgrading to an electric fan would serve your needs. ive owned 4 6.4 hemis, 3 of them had the dog 6 speed. the 8 speed is a whole other truck and much better towing.

theres already two fans. electric and engine driven. measly 8k shouldnt be heating the engine to 250. clearly something on the cooling system is not working correctly

Summit1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
You are using your truck for your business/work... consider it a very necessary "tool". Trading for what you suggest and are considering may well be the wise choice. Re-gearing and repair what you currently have will carry a lower price than would the purchase of a new truck, but the new truck will likely work better and perform the tasks at hand with far less "strain" and greater safety, while necessitating less expenditure in the future... all at a likely lower cost.

I tend to think in terms of "cost versus price" when buying anything. Disclaimer, I am not an accountant, but worked in business for many years and took a course in Accounting almost four decades ago. As such, I recall the concept of "cost vs. price" being sufficiently drummed into our skulls full of mush that it remains a part of me to this day.

Yukonbill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
I had a 2016 Ram 2500. I had issues with trans about 20k. Dodge had recall due to valve body oil issues. It would go into limp in mode, had to shut down to clear. We tow 2018 5th Wheel Toy hauler with two bikes, 2017 SGS and 2021 Can-An. The truck was over loaded on rear axle by 800+lbs. it had the 3:42 axles. So, it was a no brainer to up grade to to 3500. Anxious to hook and go for test ride. It’s all about personal choice, but having to do it all over when I bought the 2500, I should of just went with 3500. BTY; if you can find a dealer that will give you $38K, I’d jump all over that. In our area dealers use NDAA; which, trade in values are considerable lower. Don’t forget to let us know what you decide.

Yukonbill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
theres already two fans. electric and engine driven. measly 8k shouldnt be heating the engine to 250. clearly something on the cooling system is not working correctly
You all know Dodge had a Recall on water pumps, 2016.

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys,

You left out the real option...buy a news extended service contgract. TGhey will renew one for about the same price as the original one was and you'll again be covered for whatever period of time you select. Have done that on two of my trucks and it has been worth every penny over time. AIn fact just bought my THIRD contract on my 2005. Every vehicle wsill have failures of some kind regardless of who makes it. Soif you like ti wellenoughthe 'new' service contract is well worth the money. cheers

Regcabguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 I-6
Get the Cummins with the Maxcare factory sponsored service agreement. There's only one additional fuel filter. The interiors are luxurious compared to the competition. Fuel economy is great. You will have to deal with DEF which is everywhere. Ford and Ram share the Bosch CP4 injection pump which has been infrequent but disastrous to the entire fuel delivery system. Get the 3500 with the rear leafs. Much simpler. 2021 models return to the proven Bosch CP3 injection pump. Here's the link for factory sponsored service agreements: armed with this information the dealer will match it. http://www.chryslerautowarrantys.co...COqYhH-LRcCe3BnDq_Zrl9IqXdghS5xAaAqr6EALw_wcB If you service it yourself keep immaculate records. Receipts,mileage and date and genuine Mopar filters etc. The Aisin trans is the true medium duty trans albeit somewhat firm shifting. Rumors are that 2021 ushers in a Allison or ZF auto.

ACJCF2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 3500 Tradesman CC DRW 4X4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L (408 cid) TD
I have a 2018 3500 HD, CC,4X4, with the 6.7L CTD and 6 speed transmission about 10,500 miles on it and it is a beast. Far different pull than my old 5.9L. There are some added expenses with the Diesel but for heavy hauls, it can't be beat in my experience. One thing that impresses me is the tranny cooler, it never gets close to 200 deg. even in the SC heat of summer.

OP
OP
I

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Welp.... the truck goes in to have the cooling system checked out today. We’ve decided we’ll get a new truck at the end of this year or beginning of next, but this one needs to be right. Hopefully they don’t tell me nothing is wrong.