New truck time?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hey guys,
I’ve been hanging out on these forums quite a bit. My extended warranty comes up on my truck next year, and I need to decide what to do with it so I can keep an eye out for deals or do research. Sorry if this is long, here goes.

I currently have a 2015 2500 mega 6.4 w/ 3.73. I tow three trailers: two for work and one for fun.
For work I have one that it around 5k that I tow almost daily, the second is a dump trailer that averages 8k, but can be as much as 10k. I tow the dumper about 2X per month.
For fun we pull about 8k up in the CO mountains once per month, and take a couple longer trips with it throughout the year as well.

Now, the truck pulls for work just fine except when the dumper gets heavy...the drop between first and second gear is a lot as you know.
However, towing up the hill here is a different story. Just about every trip up the truck heats up to the point of crying about it and sometimes going into the limpy tow mode locking us into 30mph. It’s never stranded us, but this can’t be good for the truck. We’re looking at adding another ATV to the mix in a year or so too, and the extra strain is sure to make us stop. A few years ago I had the dealer look at the cooling system and they determined that my cooling fan was bad and they replaced it. I’m tempted to have them look at that again, as I don’t hear the fan screaming when it gets warm either.

With my warranty going away I’d be out any repairs from my pocket, and I already feel like I push this truck to its limit. BUT I own this truck in full.

The way I see it I have three options:
1) Re-gear my current truck, and have the dealer make sure my fan is good. Would this solve my issues and have it last longer for me? I was planning on keeping it for at least 10-12 years. I can’t afford for this thing to be in the shop in the future, as I need it for my business.

2) Get a new 2500 mega 6.4 with the newer 8 speed. Again, does this solve my problem?

3) Upgrade to a 3500 mega Cummins. I’m sure this would fit the bill, though not sure if I should grab on with the 6 speed or wait for the 10. I’d need the 3500 with this config to be sure my payload is high enough. The downside to this is I know very little about the diesels or diesels in general. I know they have more filters to change more often, get better mileage, require DEF, and aren’t fans of the cold. That’s about it.
(I do all my own maintenance, so I’d have a bit to learn...but if I can change my own tranny and gears fluid I’m sure I’d manage.)

So has anyone pulled with both the newer ones hard? If I do another new truck I’d want it to last me at least 10 years again, and I don’t want to put money into this one if I’m already at its limit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taylor513

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From where I'm sitting it sounds like you need the cummins. But those with more experience will chime in and give you their input.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Go 3500 Cummins if you are straining with any one of those pulls.
Used trucks are bringing good money. Wait for good deal on a new one and don't look back.

OP
OP
I

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Go 3500 Cummins if you are straining with any one of those pulls.
Used trucks are bringing good money. Wait for good deal on a new one and don't look back.

I feel like I “strain” this truck about once per month. If that’s all it was I think I might be inclined to leave it be. But I make it work pretty much all the time, in addition to straining it once per month.
Yeah, I could probably trade my truck in for around $30k-$35k. That and the warranty running out are driving me to re-think this situation.
Thanks for the reply.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
My rig is near identical to yours, except for:

1) you tow more often
2) you tow heavier sometimes
3) you tow in mountains 12 x per year

These 3 factors would have me get the diesel in 3500.

But that's not what you asked - you have a 2500 that's been worked hard. You didn't say how many miles are on it. You need to consider this, the sale value, and the new value before you can decide. If you don't have that many miles, you can surely upgrade to 4.10 gears for a lot less. This will make the tow a lot more comfortable for you and the drivetrain.

Second, this high a load demands top synthetic lubricants in the gearboxes, with frequent changes (35k OCI's). Have you done these?

OP
OP
I

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My rig is near identical to yours, except for:

1) you tow more often
2) you tow heavier sometimes
3) you tow in mountains 12 x per year

These 3 factors would have me get the diesel in 3500.

But that's not what you asked - you have a 2500 that's been worked hard. You didn't say how many miles are on it. You need to consider this, the sale value, and the new value before you can decide. If you don't have that many miles, you can surely upgrade to 4.10 gears for a lot less. This will make the tow a lot more comfortable for you and the drivetrain.

Second, this high a load demands top synthetic lubricants in the gearboxes, with frequent changes (35k OCI's). Have you done these?

I’ve got 84k on the clock right now. I change the oil every 6k with the recommended Pennzoil 0W-40. I changed the trans at 60k with factory lube, and change the axels at every 20k.

KBB puts the trade in at $38k (mine is a limited and I keep the truck cherry, it looks new...)

Ramrodd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’ve got the 2019 6.4 with the 8 speed and 3.73s and it has no problem with towing 8k lbs in the mountains. But I’m also talking about the Smoky Mtns not the Rockies. The transmission seems to do very well over the 6 speed that used to be behind the 6.4. I would be wary of the Cummins due to they are expensive to repair and maintenance. But if I were going to get a diesel I would get a Ford. I have heard they are more reliable, but still the maintenance is more expensive. Diesels do get better fuel mileage too! If you are going to reheat your truck 4.10s will not do much you need to go lower to be able to feel the difference. You could just wait a couple years for the new HD trucks to come out and look at your options then. And this is also just my opinion. Anyway good luck!

OP
OP
I

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I’ve got the 2019 6.4 with the 8 speed and 3.73s and it has no problem with towing 8k lbs in the mountains. But I’m also talking about the Smoky Mtns not the Rockies. The transmission seems to do very well over the 6 speed that used to be behind the 6.4. I would be wary of the Cummins due to they are expensive to repair and maintenance. But if I were going to get a diesel I would get a Ford. I have heard they are more reliable, but still the maintenance is more expensive. Diesels do get better fuel mileage too! If you are going to reheat your truck 4.10s will not do much you need to go lower to be able to feel the difference. You could just wait a couple years for the new HD trucks to come out and look at your options then. And this is also just my opinion. Anyway good luck!

Yeah...considering OEM’s come out here to test their trucks, the Rockies are legit!

Not gonna start wars here, but I’m not a Ford fan. Last one I had the interior did not want to stay together. That and they change their diesel designs quite often. I think I’d stick with the Cummins if I go diesel. I’m sure with the way I keep with with a truck it would last me.

OP
OP
I

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I don’t see another 6 years of reliable service from a Hemi working the kind of duty cycle your truck does. Anything’s possible, but the odds are stacked against you. Especially with a history of overheating.

Cummins all the way.

Yeah, it runs hot probably 6 times per year... I’m not liking that either.

Ramrodd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah...considering OEM’s come out here to test their trucks, the Rockies are legit!

Not gonna start wars here, but I’m not a Ford fan. Last one I had the interior did not want to stay together. That and they change their diesel designs quite often. I think I’d stick with the Cummins if I go diesel. I’m sure with the way I keep with with a truck it would last me.

Yes I do like the Ram trucks a lot better and Fords are more expensive. I just like the Powerstroke engines and the 10 speed. Or maybe the 7.3 gas I’ve heard it’s good too just not sure about long term.

Taylor513

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Considering you're straining the truck about once a month, seems like a lot to me. I wouldn't want to keep pushing it with 80K miles. It would suck to have some type of failure that is going to cost you money and time without the truck since you use it for work vs just selling it and getting something that is capable of handling that work load.

OP
OP
I

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yes I do like the Ram trucks a lot better and Fords are more expensive. I just like the Powerstroke engines and the 10 speed. Or maybe the 7.3 gas I’ve heard it’s good too just not sure about long term.

Rumor has it we may see the Allison 10 speed on the Cummins for 2022. BUT, that opens up a whole other thread about wether I get the 6 speed or the 10 if they do. I know the Allison is tried, but not mated to a Cummins and in a Ram!

OP
OP
I

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Considering you're straining the truck about once a month, seems like a lot to me. I wouldn't want to keep pushing it with 80K miles. It would suck to have some type of failure that is going to cost you money and time without the truck since you use it for work vs just selling it and getting something that is capable of handling that work load.

The more I think about it I agree. My warranty covers me now, but will cost me past next March.

So it sounds like sinking money into this one isn’t a good idea. And, most think I should lean towards the diesel. Does anyone think the 6.4 with the 8 speed would suit me? OR, can someone tell me what kind of cost/time factor I’m looking at going to the diesel be my hemi? Keep in mind I use the best materials and do it myself to be sure it’s done right...

Ramrodd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The more I think about it I agree. My warranty covers me now, but will cost me past next March.

So it sounds like sinking money into this one isn’t a good idea. And, most think I should lean towards the diesel. Does anyone think the 6.4 with the 8 speed would suit me? OR, can someone tell me what kind of cost/time factor I’m looking at going to the diesel be my hemi? Keep in mind I use the best materials and do it myself to be sure it’s done right...

$10k up front cost over Hemi then 150-200$ cost to service the engine vs 50$ but I think service interval is higher than the hemi maybe 10-15k miles. Somebody chime in with the correct interval. Diesel fuel cost more but gets better mileage and it uses DEF. DPF maintenance also. You do get a better powertrain warranty over the Hemi 100k miles. After 100k miles be ready to pay for some expensive parts if you have a failure. If you do go the diesel route do not tune it. That just puts more strain on the powertrain.

Ramrodd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Rumor has it we may see the Allison 10 speed on the Cummins for 2022. BUT, that opens up a whole other thread about wether I get the 6 speed or the 10 if they do. I know the Allison is tried, but not mated to a Cummins and in a Ram!

Allison does not make a 10 speed it is just a transmission that Ford and GM developed together and called an Allison on GM trucks. I don’t think Ford calls it an Allison. But Allison has nothing to do with either one.

OP
OP
I

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
$10k up front cost over Hemi then 150-200$ cost to service the engine vs 50$ but I think service interval is higher than the hemi maybe 10-15k miles. Somebody chime in with the correct interval. Diesel fuel cost more but gets better mileage and it uses DEF. DPF maintenance also. You do get a better powertrain warranty over the Hemi 100k miles. After 100k miles be ready to pay for some expensive parts if you have a failure. If you do go the diesel route do not tune it. That just puts more strain on the powertrain.

Well...you’re close on the hemi stuff. My 5.7 cost that. But the oil species for the 6.4 puts me at around $75 in materials for the oil change. And, I actually pay more for gas, since the hemi 6.4 wants 87 or higher octane, I’ve been putting in 91 since I work with it. I figured out given today’s fuel prices that I spend $650 more for gas than I would diesel at the same mileage. So that covers DEF (maybe? How often do you fill it??). And forgive my ignorance...but what is DPF? Diesel Particulate Filter? Is that one of the fuel filters that need replaced?

Yeah, I wouldn’t tune either engine. Whatever I get should be fine stock. That’s kind of my point... I feel like the diesel would be overkill...but it sounds like I’m wrong.

OP
OP
I

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Allison does not make a 10 speed it is just a transmission that Ford and GM developed together and called an Allison on GM trucks. I don’t think Ford calls it an Allison. But Allison has nothing to do with either one.

I see that now looking into it. Interesting. So maybe the rumor is unsubstantiated?

Ramrodd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well...you’re close on the hemi stuff. My 5.7 cost that. But the oil species for the 6.4 puts me at around $75 in materials for the oil change. And, I actually pay more for gas, since the hemi 6.4 wants 87 or higher octane, I’ve been putting in 91 since I work with it. I figured out given today’s fuel prices that I spend $650 more for gas than I would diesel at the same mileage. So that covers DEF (maybe? How often do you fill it??). And forgive my ignorance...but what is DPF? Diesel Particulate Filter? Is that one of the fuel filters that need replaced?

Yeah, I wouldn’t tune either engine. Whatever I get should be fine stock. That’s kind of my point... I feel like the diesel would be overkill...but it sounds like I’m wrong.

Yeah so the fuel is probably a wash with the DEF if your using premium. It depends on load as far as how much DEF you use the more load the more DEF. yes that is the dpf but it isn’t a fuel filter it is the exhaust filter. They have maintenance on them too just not sure what it is on the lighter duty stuff. On a Detroit engine in a semi truck they need to be replaced every 300k.

Ramrodd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have you watched the TFL truck guys on YouTube. They run all the trucks up the Ike and I think the 6.4 with the 8 speed did better than the 6 speed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500