New wheel issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Georgiasport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I recently purchased a set of new after market OEM style Ram Sport polished wheels. I had them installed and notice a a vibration at about 75 mph. I can visually see my passenger set shaking while I drive. I went back and had them recheck the balance. They said it was good. I noticed my rear driver's tire seems to have an absurd about of weights stuck to the inside of the rim. Is this normal when balancing? Could this be my problem? Any help or advice would be great.

Attachments

• 20221011_163602.jpg
    20221011_163602.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 58

Fediej

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Just a shot in the dark here but were the wheels and/or tires a cheap off-brand?

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I recently purchased a set of new after market OEM style Ram Sport polished wheels. I had them installed and notice a a vibration at about 75 mph. I can visually see my passenger set shaking while I drive. I went back and had them recheck the balance. They said it was good. I noticed my rear driver's tire seems to have an absurd about of weights stuck to the inside of the rim. Is this normal when balancing? Could this be my problem? Any help or advice would be great.
Way too much weight ... and yes that is why you are having the vibrations ..... they need to spin that tire on the wheel 180° ... that looks like 7.25 oz or more ... that is ridiculous !!

I wouldn't spend money on road force balance unless you have 50 or 45 sidewalls ... it's getting ridiculous how many shops just don't understand how to balance ...

It shouldn't take a wheel more than 5-6 oz. to balance ... I try to get below 4 ounce on bigger size tires whenever possible ...

What size are you tires ?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Where did you go to have the tires mounted on the rims ?
Did the same shop do the tire balancing ?

As someone wrote
The tire & rim with all the weights, should have the air let out of it. Then the tire itself should be rotated.

Clean the rim before having new weights put on

( where the valve stem is now, should be moved 180 degrees )

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Where did you go to have the tires mounted on the rims ?
Did the same shop do the tire balancing ?

As someone wrote
The tire & rim with all the weights, should have the air let out of it. Then the tire itself should be rotated.

Clean the rim before having new weights put on

( where the valve stem is now, should be moved 180 degrees )
Correct, that will "usually" cut the amount of weight on their in half .. so instead of the 8 oz. it should now ask for 4 oz. maybe less ...

When I used to bust tires, if it asked for more than 3-4 oz. we were instructed to rotate 180° ... there was actually a camera pointed at the balance machine and one of the supervisors would review the video at the end of the day.

We had to record how much weight each wheel asked for and if we rotated. Rarely was the case when this wouldn't fix the issue ...

One other thing, some TPMS sensors will create a "false positive" meaning it's asking for weight to compensate for the weight of the sensors, they don't even weight that much for even 1/4 of an ounce can throw things off and create a noticeable vibration ...

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I definitely agree with both, that being too much weight and the tire should be spun 180° on the rim. Also make sure the rim isn't bent. Tire machines and the person using it can bend a wheel quite easily if they don't know what they are doing.

OP
OP
Georgiasport

Georgiasport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So... I took it in to Ram today and had them balance the wheels. The one rim again took over 8 Oz of weights. The original install was by Discount Tire and then had them recheck a week later. On my ticket is states " left rear wheel took over 8 Oz of weight. Wheel may be defective." I bought them 2 months ago.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So... I took it in to Ram today and had them balance the wheels. The one rim again took over 8 Oz of weights. The original install was by Discount Tire and then had them recheck a week later. On my ticket is states " left rear wheel took over 8 Oz of weight. Wheel may be defective." I bought them 2 months ago.

Did they rotate the tire 180° on the rim before balancing?

Last edited:

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would bet they didn't. It was a young kid

If you want anything beyond a basic truck wash or gas fill, I'd suggest you have to micro-manage the activity or you're never likely to get the required service performed correctly.

I'd guess you have to visit your dealership again and discuss the details before they start work. :cool:

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Probably ly. I'm gonna go back Sat to Discount Tire and have them rotate the tire 180
Mark the spot and take a picture of where the tire meets the valve stem, then you can see if they actually did rotate it ...if they didn't you can show them the picture so they can't say it was rotated ...

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I thought that i had already stated this

Usually the dealership & Discount Tire both have the same tire balancing machine.
They have the Hunter Road Force Balance Machine

The difference between the 2 places is that Discount Tire makes sure that their employees are formally trained on the machine.
The dealership does not give their employees an formal training.
They may as well put their janitor on the machine & tell them which way to place the tire stem & how to press the start button

No one can balance a tire, without removing all the weights
You will always get the same reading if the weight are not removed

The only thing is, i think the glue on weights can only be used 1 time.
Unlike the old lead weights that can be used over & over

I guess the tire guy could use a bit of of material like wax paper & then take one of the old style lead weights & tap it on the rim, using the wax paper to protect the rims finish.
Then when the rim & tire are balanced, they could place the glued weights on the center of the rim & remove an equal weight from the outer edge of the rim.

I may be over thinking it all, but i often do that

Last edited:

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess the tire guy could use a bit of of material like wax paper & then take one of the old style lead weights & tap it on the rim, using the wax paper to protect the rims finish.
Then when the rim & tire are balanced, they could place the glued weights on the center of the rim & remove an equal weight from the outer edge of the rim.

I may be over thinking it all, but i often do that
There is nobody at any tire shop that would do that. The bead weights will always nick the finish on the rim and wax paper will do nothing to prevent it from happening. Most aftermarket wheels nowadays don't even have a bead to hammer a weight onto that probably why they used the sticky weights to begin with.

If two places tried to balamce it and both came up with 8 ounce's of weight there's two things that can be wrong. The rim is bad or the tire is bad. Either one is not unheard of.

If this happened to me at the shop I would rotate the tire 180 on the rim and try it again after removing ALL of the weights. If it balanced with a reasonable amount of weight then great, put it on and drive it. If not the I would break down the tire and balance just the wheel without the tire to see where it come in at for weight. It won't be perfect but shouldn't take a lot of weight at all. If it takes 3 or 4 ounce's with no tire then I'd suspect the is bad and inspect accordingly. Or if there's another tire available mount it and balance it to see if it's any better. If it is better then I'd suspect the tire is bad. Without physically seeing what the tire is doing all anyone can do is speculate and throw ideas out. Most aftermarket wheels are not as quality as you would think and definitely not like a factory wheel. Good luck

OP
OP
Georgiasport

Georgiasport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I looked at the wheel. The dealership did remove the weights and rebalance. I can see the new weights are in the same spot as the old. There is some left over white double sided tape where the old ones stuck.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I looked at the wheel. The dealership did remove the weights and rebalance. I can see the new weights are in the same spot as the old. There is some left over white double sided tape where the old ones stuck.

The logic behind moving the tire 180° on the rim is to account for imperfections in the tire weighting. Beefy tires with large lugs are notorious for having a weight imbalance and sometimes will require repositioning on the rim during the balancing process.

This repositioning can be required with any tire/rim combination and is not unusual with larger tires. The larger the tire, the more likely the mass will differ over the tire area resulting in a significant imbalance.

Those less experienced or less concerned might just slap on more weight to avoid the necessary additional effort, just like your problem wheel.

Removing all the weights during the balancing process is a standard operating procedure (SOP). Any other method is substandard and likely to produce ineffective results.

As mentioned earlier and as a portion of your micro-management, take a picture of the tire at the valve stem so that you know where it's located on the rim and that it was moved close to 180° before they attempt to balance the wheel again.

Last edited:

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where did you buy the wheels and tires from? Are the wheels and tires brand new or used? As mentioned above, larger tires can be a little more difficult to balance but if you have 3 other wheels and tires that balanced good with minimal weight and one that is not then I'd suspect there's an issue with that wheel or tire. Getting somebody that will actually take the time to actually diagnose the problem is another story.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
What I would ask them to do now is switch that tire to the wheel that asked for the least amount of weight ... then if that wheel is still asking for that amount of weight with the same culprit tire then you know it's something with the wheel ...

Sometimes as a customer you have to ask for these things to be done, most shops will "NOT" go that extra mile to work out issues for the customers, be adamant about it, you paid for the wheels and tires or maybe just the tires at that shop, don't let them do just the bare minimum ....