Newb Questions, With a Plan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jacobford

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I just picked up a '97 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 to Fix-up and drive since its killing me filling up my diesel I'll be honest, I'm a Ford guy, but this truck was too tempting to pick up for $800. It's pretty much a pos, the paint is gone, the shocks are shot, the headlights are so faded I honestly didn't think they worked, the drivers seat is destroyed, and the passenger side door is mangled. The plus side is everything works, and the transmission was rebuilt 30,000 miles ago, but the 4x4 light is staying illuminated, the 4x4 disengages, but the lamp stays illuminated. the tires are basically bald and it has a little bit of rust.

I'm already planning on the following and have the experience to complete these tasks
1. seat that doesn't stab me
2. New Center Axle Disconect (which I'm attributing the 4x4 light to)
3. New Tires/wheels
4. Junk Yard Door and Tailgate

Now to the Questions...
1. Like I said the Paint is Destroyed, like down to the primer in spots. I'm going to be using this for a driver, wheeling, hunting rig so I want a durable, but relatively inexpensive coating I was thinking along the lines of Plasti Coat, or some sort of diy bed liner material, what is everyones thoughts on this?
2. Headlights... the stock ones are CRAP... what are alternatives, new replacement, or some sort of upgrade?
3. I'm looking at a Mild lift, around a 3" lift or so... from my readings 285/75/16's will fit stock, but I live up in the mountains and need room for my suspension to flex, whats a good option there?
4. What else would you guys add that I might be missing?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Ooooo the $800 POS project truck. The kind of rig that you got for so cheap you can afford to be a cheapass with it. :D

Seat, CAD, wheels/tires, and body parts can be bought off CL or a JY. Headlights, I'd go with new replacements either from Rockauto, eBay, or 1AAuto. I wouldn't go with those Euro housings because, while they look cool, they scatter light badly and most don't have adjustment screws. Go with some good bulbs and a relay kit and you'll be lightyears further ahead than most 2nd gen Rams out there.

For body, fix the rust, make sure the wheel arches on the fenders and bed are solid and bedline that ****. I'm more of a paint guy, but since this rig will be a rough and tumble off road and hunting rig, bed liner is perfect. This company: Monstaliner do-it-yourself roll-on truck bed liner outperforms Herculiner Bed Liner, Duplicolor and Rustoleum Road Warrior makes bed liner in lots of different colors and you can go from rough texture or a smoother texture that's easier to rinse off.

For lift, this: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sja-d201k/overview/year/1998/make/dodge/model/ram-1500 is what I am looking at personally. That will give enough room for 285s with some flex. I'm running 285s right now and I still have a bit of room to flex and I'm not even lifted.

Don't forget the engine and trans! Make sure the engine oil is changed and with a good filter and the same with the trans. Trans. fluid is supposed to be changed every 30k along with the filter. Since you have a new trans, you have nothing to lose with regards to making sure it's up to ***** NOW.

Plenums are a huge deal in Dodge Magnum engines: http://www.ramforum.com/f61/plenum_gasket_what_where_what_should_i_do_about_*info*-37635/
Basically anything that you don't know the status of, you should check/replace. SO that goes for spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor as well as coolant, and gear oils.

Download this too: http://www.ramforum.com/f77/2nd_gen_service_manual-986/

Best of luck and ******* this is a long post. :D

Welcome to RF and hope you have fun! :D

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yup, you gotta share pics of this thing!

Don't sweat being a Ford guy, I am too, and somehow got sucked into this whole Ram thing. :anitoof:

What part of the country are you in? Love to see some nice mountain scenery while you wheel the snot out of this thing!

Keep us posted on how it comes along. :party52:

leadrofthepak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome to the forums!
About the only thing I will add to what DD94 posted is about the headlights.
Mine are heavily oxidized, yellow to the point of useless. So I bought a cheap set of aftermarket driving lights, mounted them in the factory fog light spot and wired them in with the headlights. Night time road clarity solved on the cheap!

OP
OP
J

jacobford

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
thanks for the input guys, here's some pics as requested, and a little follow-up... I changed the oil, windshield wipers, and checked the plugs, cap and rotor the day after I got it... and the brake pads/ rotors turned this weekend... the shoes looked good, maybe i'm just particular like that... but that's the mechanic coming out, I'd rather it start/go/stop before I worry about the rest...Now if it would ever quit snowing I'll tackle the rest

Attachments

• 255.jpg
    255.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 256.jpg
    256.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 257.jpg
    257.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 258.jpg
    258.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 259.jpg
    259.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 35

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Welcome to the forums!
About the only thing I will add to what DD94 posted is about the headlights.
Mine are heavily oxidized, yellow to the point of useless. So I bought a cheap set of aftermarket driving lights, mounted them in the factory fog light spot and wired them in with the headlights. Night time road clarity solved on the cheap!
You'd love my driving lights, my back road combo is as follows: stock high beams, stock fogs, two 7in 100w driving lights, and two 4.5in 55w mini driving lights (mounted in the bumper). I turn the high beams and 100watters off on the main highway and run the bumper lights, great combo. My housings are perfectly clear too. lol
thanks for the input guys, here's some pics as requested, and a little follow-up... I changed the oil, windshield wipers, and checked the plugs, cap and rotor the day after I got it... and the brake pads/ rotors turned this weekend... the shoes looked good, maybe i'm just particular like that... but that's the mechanic coming out, I'd rather it start/go/stop before I worry about the rest...Now if it would ever quit snowing I'll tackle the rest
Bumper looks good, and that surprises me. Wheel arch doesn't look too bad, I've seen much worse on that year truck but holy hell! That tailgate! Is that a rust hole I see on the right side?! :eek:

Oh, yeah, and in the case of your driver's side headlamp housing, the housing itself is leaking. No way to fix it besides full replacement.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jacobford

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Unfortunately that is a ton of rust on the Tailgate, all the way through,(that one spot on the bed above the arch is the only spot on the body) but the Local JY's have them for around $80-$125 ... and if i'm going to re-coat it I don't have to worry about the color, same with the passenger door... another $100 I've been looking at lights and they look like around $75, they're both in the same shape, I love the idea of adding more lights as well, I haven't really thought of that, My Powerstroke puts out more than enough with the clear lenses and i was hoping the dodge would too, but a decent set of fog lights look like a good option, there's too many critters out at 5:30 am when I'm leaving the house... he's some more pics as well...

Attachments

• 260.jpg
    260.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 41
  • 261.jpg
    261.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 262.jpg
    262.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 263.jpg
    263.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 264.jpg
    264.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 39

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Door and tailgate definitely. lol Engine bay looks good, minus dirt. Nothing looks hacked up that I can see, belt looks fairly new unless you've replaced it.

Headlight housings are anywhere from $50-100 per side, so not cheap, but they're necessary. I say start out with housings, bulbs and a relay kit and go from there in that regard. i put more lights on my rig because I have the habit of driving at high speeds late at night. :angels25::evillol:

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I dunno, I know how thick these doors are, that might not be poppable.

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
If he wants it nice and straight w/o all the hard work he should just replace it IMO lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

jacobford

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I've thought about just trying to pop it out, but I don't think the end result will be that good, and while I'm at the JY pulling a tailgate, and seat, I might as well grab a door... It's fine for now, it opens, closes, locks and the window and mirror work, I'll call that a victory... is there a difference in doors though between ones with power options, and ones without? or are they all the same?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Doors are the same function wise. Your issue is going to come in here: 1994-01 SINGLE CAB doors are all the same, 1994-00 CLUB CAB (2 door extended cab) doors are the same as SINGLE CAB doors. 1998-01 QUAD CAB (4 door extended, 2 full doors, 2 half doors) are different. Being you have a 97, you need the single cab or Club cab doors. The single and Club doors have a curve at the rear corner whereas the Quad doors are straight.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
1:If you're looking for a good lasting coating, cut some Rustoleum and spray bomb it.
We did that to a mid 80's blazer, wheel'd the hell out of it, and couldn't ever tell.

I'd remove as much rust as you could first.

2:Get OE replacement headlights, a pair off Amazon is ~100ish for TYCs.
Agreed on NOT getting euro headlights.

3: Get a 2" Coil spacer for the front, and some factory 2500 4x shocks to match (longer) call it a day. Dad has run 285/75R16s on his ol '98 since new, they strum a song at full turn on the ctrl arms, never has it been an issue. Fender clearance is fine. I ran 275/65R20s with a 1.5" coil spacer on my '00 w/o a touch.

4: Hella makes a nice ~3x7" light that goes in the bumper openings (NOT model specific, just works well). They run ~100 a set I think (been a while) and the driving pattern is amazing (in addition to good clean headlights)

OP
OP
J

jacobford

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I don't think I can do the rattle can Rustoleum I don't wanna drop thousands of dollars on the paint, but I think I can swing a couple hundred to do it up a little... Maybe if I was married I could go the cheaper route, but I still want something I can be proud of at the end of the day... Something that'll make it p the mountain, and make it into a few panties as well ;)

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I vote for Monstaliner. lol Rattle can will look worse than get beat up quickly.

OP
OP
J

jacobford

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I like the monstaliner option as well... I think I'll order some on payday... I'm just debating the color as we speak... and I need to grab the door and tailgate before I get to that point... and a seat as well... I think I'm going to call them though, I'm unsure exactly how much I need.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
As far as the bedliner? I have no idea as well. There are lots of colors on their site, if you haven't purused that way yet. :D