Nexen tire bombs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
So all the thousands of retreads sold by my Dad's business in the '50s and '60s with all the discussions of what happens when a tire "blows" in the mold and all the discussions of why certain casings actually fit into a mold for a different size were just fabricated? Your description is of a process that I don't recognize at all, suggesting that it came along after that time. I was in one of the smaller retreading shops and I have seen the molds used in the '50s. I have seen at least hundreds of failed retreads, too, and if the process had been what you describe, it would have been evident, not only from underlying material, but from the existence of the splice. Bottom line: other manufacturers of "remolded" tires state outright that it is a retread. BTW, "recap" and "retread" are synonyms. There was a process back in my day that was a "top cap" versus a "full cap." They were both retreads/recaps and there's no getting around that.
Edit: I recall that when a tire blew out in the mold, it was returned to us. It would have all of the little "hairs" of rubber still on it where tread rubber flowed into the vents in the mold. Since the tire was junk, they did not put it through the trimming process.

Here is a very good description of how things are today: https://www.tirereview.com/revisiting-consumer-retreads/

not calling thoes stories fabricated at all, but i cansay there is erros facts that they wouldnt have known then. a tires blowing in the chamber wasn't poor materials or poor cap buil like they used to think, its gasses trapped in the porus rubber casings, from idiots using aresols such as ether or even gas to pop a tire on the rim. in the retread chamber with all the heat, it causes disastrous effects. our retread plant sufferd a 300k repair bill fom one 37" super swamper that had been mounted with black spray paint, and didn't get noticed before going in th chamber. blew chamber door completey off and 30ft across the plant into the side of anothr chamber and took out 2 buffing machines. very expensive lesson..... all tires went through 'the sniffer' after that, not just manual and mri.

yes I agree "recap" and "retread" are synonyms, but a "remold" is a bit more complex process, and any decent remold or a recap company will not interchange the terms. it's the very reason the two are rarely done by the same company.in the 70s and 80s a few cap companies ventured into remolding, but the process yeilded some horrible looking and performing results. garbage that was barely fit for an old farm truck in the felds, let alone a public road. today, the process is so advanced, it's comparable to a new tire.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You should go back to the dealer and demand six new tires . My truck dealer was sewed for over six million dollars for a tire set of tires they said dint need to be replaced and a accident happened and some one was left with brain damage.Flemington in NJ they paid out the money.

Donald Parker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I am very late to this thread, but just bought my 2017 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn (28K miles) and this is very relevant to me right now. Just tried to have my Nexen tires balanced due to a vibration at 65-75 and the tire store told me the Nexen tires were so out of round the machine was hopping. Net result is, not one of the six can be balanced. Has anyone had any luck with the Dealer and a tire warranty? This is a CPO truck with an extended B2B and I think this is unacceptable for this few of miles. I have only drive 1750 miles since purchase.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am very late to this thread, but just bought my 2017 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn (28K miles) and this is very relevant to me right now. Just tried to have my Nexen tires balanced due to a vibration at 65-75 and the tire store told me the Nexen tires were so out of round the machine was hopping. Net result is, not one of the six can be balanced. Has anyone had any luck with the Dealer and a tire warranty? This is a CPO truck with an extended B2B and I think this is unacceptable for this few of miles. I have only drive 1750 miles since purchase.

I wouldn't bank too much on getting free tires out of the dealer. Personally, I would just have the tire shop put your tires of choice on there and be done with it.

Txhillbilly

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Dodge PowerWagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry you guy's are having problems with you Nexen tires on your HD's. I've had really good results with their Roadian HP's on my Chevy Colorado daily driver. I got 62k miles out of my first set,and have over 40k miles on the set currently on it.

I had real good tire life with Toyo Open Country AT's on my 06' Mega cab dually,they lasted over 50k miles.

Rhino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Diesel
I bought a new 2017 Laramie Longhorn 3500 DRW in Jan 2018 to pull our new 5th wheel. I did not check the brand of tires during the purchase but while looking over the truck at home I saw it had Nexen, Korean made tires, installed. I had never heard of Nexen but I had no choice at that point. Last week while heading out on a trip with the 5th wheel, we experienced a tire tread separation and total sidewall blowout on the front left tire. Only 3452 miles on the truck. We did get stopped safely but in was interesting for a few seconds. Upon examination of the tire, I could see places with no evidence of the tread ever being “glued” to the carcass and the same with some of the tread that did not separate during failure. I have filed a warranty complaint with Nexen. I also went on the NHTSA website to post a safety report about the tire failure and found numerous other complaints about tread separation with Nexen tires. I am now afraid of the tires and am replacing all 6 tires at a cost of several hundred dollars I had not planned on spending. I want to do all I can to convince Fiat-Chrysler to get these bombs off future trucks so others will not have to experience what I have. I am asking your help in that if you have had problems with your Nexen tires, please post about your experience and also consider filing a formal safety report on the NHTSA website. Thank you.

View attachment 123543

View attachment 123544

I had Nexen Roadians balanced one day before vacation (8-6-19) because there was a vibration.
Discount Tire said one of the tires had tread separation and a bubble had formed, making
the tire useless. That tire was the new spare that was rotated in at around 7.5k miles, it had a total of around 8k miles on it. We left for vacation the next day from Texas to Iowa.
While returning on 8-13-19, the truck instantly started a violent shake in the steering and
we had to limp in to the next town because of tread separation on another tire that made a
bubble in the tire. I had to purchase a new tire at the closest shop. We made it until 8-15-19 when the truck started another violent shake in the steering. We limped on home at 45 mph on the interstate for 100 miles until we got home. Three tire gone bad in one week. I do not trust the rest of the tires.
I got a hold of Nexen and they said they would buy back (prorated) the three tires but I have to fill out form, attach invoices for earlier rotations, proof of purchase of the truck with a window sticker showing the tires came new on the new truck, photos of the tread separation on each tire, AND send each tire to Nexen office in CA. WTF! Two of the tires are still on rims. What a pain in the as*.
You can only imagine my opinion of Nexen tires. A waste of money on junk!

Last edited:

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Agree. 4 years and 18K miles the fronts are junk and the rears are at 50%. Getting Cooper HT3 on the front Friday and hopefully can get to next year to change the rears. I thought others were being picky but I think these things are one step above PlayDoh. (maybe 2 steps)

carmantl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello everyone, I've been following this thread since April 2018 when my company bought me a brand new leftover 2017 Tradesman chassis cab 3500 SRW with these tires in 275/70/18. I now have only 18000 miles. It has a 9 foot utility bed and weighs about 10, 400 loaded with me and my tools. Driving home from work yesterday and had interior sidewall separation that went flat in about one minute. No evidence of damage on outside of tire but sidewall had developed several scary bulges. Luckily the company's owner's son was about 6 vehicles behind me in 40-50 mph traffic and stopped to help. We took wheel off & went for replacement. When tire was dismounted there were about 2 pounds of rubber dust inside and all sidewall carcass was showing over about a 6 inch space. As I stated before, we could not see any sign of an exterior problem. Replaced with a Michelin Agilis CrossClimate to the tune of $275. Gonna have a good talk with my boss about replacing the other three this week. I think it will be money well spent. Tires were rotated and pressures checked religiously.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Anymore, I figure replacing Tires, Fluids, Filters, Radio's, Speakers and adding Sound Proofing, as part of the purchase Price.
I know these will all need to be Upgraded, Replaced or Added.

All Hail the Gods of Emission and Fuel Economy

ACJCF2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 3500 Tradesman CC DRW 4X4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L (408 cid) TD
Geeze, you guys have me worried as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. :wtf:Our truck has a 10/18 build date on it and we bought in new 08/19. I've pulled twice and so far so good. Only got about 1800 miles on it, 1500 are our miles. I see Michelins in the future. I bought the oil change/rotation plan.

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
Just had the front two Roadians on my 2018 Ram 3500 DRW slip the belts. One a 10.5K and the other at 12.5K miles. Got the first replaced under warranty by a independent tire shop. They call the distributor and got the go ahead to replace. Only had to pay for Mounting/Balancing. Haven't taken the second one in. Probably will just put all new tires on rather than worrying when the others will fail.

Sad that such crap tires come on a $60+K truck.

Motorman001

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I bought a new 2017 Laramie Longhorn 3500 DRW in Jan 2018 to pull our new 5th wheel. I did not check the brand of tires during the purchase but while looking over the truck at home I saw it had Nexen, Korean made tires, installed. I had never heard of Nexen but I had no choice at that point. Last week while heading out on a trip with the 5th wheel, we experienced a tire tread separation and total sidewall blowout on the front left tire. Only 3452 miles on the truck. We did get stopped safely but in was interesting for a few seconds. Upon examination of the tire, I could see places with no evidence of the tread ever being “glued” to the carcass and the same with some of the tread that did not separate during failure. I have filed a warranty complaint with Nexen. I also went on the NHTSA website to post a safety report about the tire failure and found numerous other complaints about tread separation with Nexen tires. I am now afraid of the tires and am replacing all 6 tires at a cost of several hundred dollars I had not planned on spending. I want to do all I can to convince Fiat-Chrysler to get these bombs off future trucks so others will not have to experience what I have. I am asking your help in that if you have had problems with your Nexen tires, please post about your experience and also consider filing a formal safety report on the NHTSA website. Thank you.

View attachment 123543

View attachment 123544
Here's a picture of my Nexen Korean tire bomb. 8,500 miles on this front, driver's side tire. Fortunately I was less than 2 miles from home and was able to limp home at 5 MPH before it exploded. 500 miles later the front, passenger side Nexen tire separated. Again I was able to limp a few miles back to home at a greatly reduced speed. Two out of six (on a 3500 DRW) is an unacceptable failure rate. These tires are dangerous! They are absolute CRAP! Replaced them all with Michelins. If you're considering buying a new truck with Nexen tires I strongly urge you to insist that the dealer give you an allowance and replace the Nexen tires with a different brand. Knowing what I know now I would never drive Nexens off the dealer's lot.

012.jpg

Below is a PDF of the Nexen Original Equipment Tire Warranty. Give them a call (1-800-576-3936) and they will email you a claim form. You'll have to hound these guys daily as they are very poor communicators and don't acknowledge emails or phone messages. They will ask you to email pictures back to them and return the tire at their expense. If you're persistent eventually you'll get a pro-rated refund which can be used toward a decent tire (not Nexen).

In case you're wondering if it's worth the effort to contact Nexen and file a claim, the tire pictured had 11/32" remaining tread and Nexen compensated me to the tune of $112.87.

If you want to view formal complaints that have been filed with the NHTSA against Nexen tires look here: www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues?prodType=T

If you want to file a formal complaint (only takes 5 minutes) go here: www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Nexen needs to be held accountable for their junk tires. If enough people file complaints there will be a recall and owners of these tires will be compensated.

Attachments

• NEXEN_OE Warranty.pdf
    39.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Nikkiey B

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
None

View attachment 123543

View attachment 123544

View attachment 123543

View attachment 123544

Dale Renner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
2018 Ram 3500 another Nexen Victim. Just turned 16k and damn tire almost shook my teeth loose . Told the dealer ...they could care less . Replaced them after 6 months … TOTAL CRAP!!

IMG_7804.JPG

IMG_7807.JPG

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
These stock junk tires are still being put on the new trucks. Maybe they would work, if you have the 6.4 gas engine. But the weight of the mighty cummins diesel (1100lbs) is what is killing these nexens. My rears were fine, its the fronts that failed on me due to the weight of the front end. My fronts always looked like they were low on air and bulged. They werent low on air, the weight was just crushing them.

Ended up going with Nitto dura grapplers all the way around. My local RAM dealer got me the best price on the new tires. Their price was better than the leading large tire warehouse places.

rdouglas02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I literally just came back from Discount tire and had to spend $1500 on brand new tires on my 2017 Ram 3500 that only had 17,500 miles because the 2 front tires were "out of round". I was pulling my horse to the vet and noticed a terrible vibration. I feel so blessed nothing happened while I was pulling my horse trailer. I am so mad to have to spend that kind of money when I just bought a $60k truck. I wish I had seen this before.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I literally just came back from Discount tire and had to spend $1500 on brand new tires on my 2017 Ram 3500 that only had 17,500 miles because the 2 front tires were "out of round". I was pulling my horse to the vet and noticed a terrible vibration. I feel so blessed nothing happened while I was pulling my horse trailer. I am so mad to have to spend that kind of money when I just bought a $60k truck. I wish I had seen this before.

Those tires have a 40,000 mile warranty, Discount should have given you some sort of deal off the new tires with them barely making it half way.

I’d go back and ask bout that. I’m about to replace the tires on the wife’s Durango, they are a 70,000 tire and it just past 42,000. I’m getting some credit. Discount tire has always honored the manufacturers warranty for me.

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40

Leonard Russo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
For what we pay for these trucks they should come with Michelin’s from the factory ! Ford uses them on their HD Trucks at least !