NHTSA finally opens ABS/HCU investigation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
2 questions...so how long will the obvious take to actually get this issue addressed? And will it really help fix the root cause of the actual issue with the drag link that has been going on way too long imho? Which is to replace a fouled design....I have a 2016 with this mess, new to me recently after moving from a F250. To be honest, every vehicle has some kind of "issue". You could honestly chase every "snake oil" issue with some kind of "fix". And I'm guilty of making my trucks resistant to some things that I just don't want to have to deal with tbh. Some however are real concerns for me, like crashing my truck without steering control. Worst case scenario? Yes, likely? I dunno. Mine is welded currently but tbh, I'm considering going with synergy and being done with it. Stupid stuff like this is crazy when you think about how much you pay for a vehicle like this today. Off soapbox, but situation is ridiculous after this many years of same thing...negligence is the right word.

jaflowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Have a 2015. Never had the brake issue but when Ram said the drag link fix was a welding job I bought the Synergy immediately and never looked back. Never had an issue with it.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
2 questions...so how long will the obvious take to actually get this issue addressed? And will it really help fix the root cause of the actual issue with the drag link that has been going on way too long imho? Which is to replace a fouled design....I have a 2016 with this mess, new to me recently after moving from a F250. To be honest, every vehicle has some kind of "issue". You could honestly chase every "snake oil" issue with some kind of "fix". And I'm guilty of making my trucks resistant to some things that I just don't want to have to deal with tbh. Some however are real concerns for me, like crashing my truck without steering control. Worst case scenario? Yes, likely? I dunno. Mine is welded currently but tbh, I'm considering going with synergy and being done with it. Stupid stuff like this is crazy when you think about how much you pay for a vehicle like this today. Off soapbox, but situation is ridiculous after this many years of same thing...negligence is the right word.

Contact @RamCares and request a replacement draglink. They will get you setup with the new design draglink free of charge.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Thanks so much for the tag! If you need assistance with your draglink recall, please send us a DM. We'd love to get you some help!

Callie
Ram Cares

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I created an account just to chime in on this issue. It's about time a recall was a serious conversation.

I am currently in my 2nd ABS HCU failure in only 74k miles. This is inexcusable. Mine failed the 2nd time on a mountain in Colorado, in a snow storm, dragging a trailer. Fortunately I have experience driving a non-ABS vehicle so we managed to not crash, but this is a very serious safety issue with these trucks. It is not a reliable system.

This is also a costly repair at the dealer, and not a simple DIY job. Updated parts are not available. Parts of the existing faulty design are scarcely available.

@RamCares , I will be contacting my local dealer who sold me the truck tomorrow. I expect Ram to cover this recently out of warranty repair.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Hey @Choupique ,

We're so sorry to hear about what happened with your truck. Once you have that dealership appointment in place, send us a DM or give us a call at 1-866-726-4626 for assistance.

Callie
Ram Cares

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Hope something gets done. I had to search all around for an HCU and pay to have it replaced with only 27,000 miles on it. After all of the horror stories I'm just waiting for it to go again. Very serious and potentially deadly issue.

BTW - @RamCares helped get my draglink replaced instead of welded so that was much appreciated.

tantalizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I also created a account just to chime in on this issue. My ABS/HCU failed at 26k and is failing again at 57k.

OP
OP
wallacemf

wallacemf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 4x4 Hemi 6.4
Anyone know if parts are available for this yet? I have a case open and an appointment later today, however the dealer charges a $199 diagnostic fee (never mind the fact that I have a lifetime MaxCare contract). If they cannot get the parts to fix the problem, then I'm on the hook for the diagnostic fee because they cannot recover it without doing the warranty repair, which they can't do because the parts are not available! WTH!

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, the sad reality goes back farther than we would like, ideally. I remember reading the book "Unsafe At Any Speed" by Ralph Nader (a consumer rights attorney, I believe). He correctly pointed out many, many safety issues in many cars from yesteryear.

All manufacturers have had some real Deuseys. The Early Pinto explosion proclivity when rear-ended at slow speeds was the first that I'm aware of where internal documents from FoMoCo's own offices sank their ship, figuratively. The station wagons didn't have this problem due to a different location of the fuel tank. And... never mind the fact that ALL Pintos were recalled and modified to make them safe. I worked as a technician at Ford in those days and installed the fuel safety kit on many of them. Thereafter, no one wanted one. I took advantage and eventually owned and drove 3 of them... bought them cheaply. They were very good cars, but their reputation as "Bombs on wheels" survived the recall repairs.

I'm fairly certain that this problem stems from "global" construction of today's modern vehicles, among other problem areas.
It's good that we have watch dogs for these types of problems.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Anyone know if parts are available for this yet? .......................If they cannot get the parts to fix the problem, then I'm on the hook for the diagnostic fee because they cannot recover it without doing the warranty repair, which they can't do because the parts are not available! WTH!

Only "they" can tell you if they can get the parts. It's going to depend on how hard they want to work to get the parts. People's dealer have told them "unavailable" before, but then the customer finds it online from another dealership and has it in 2 days. Your dealer could do the same but that would require deskwork on their part.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Last I heard from my dealer was it would be available in June 2023

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The Service Advisers often don't know about parts availability & i think in many cases, they don't really care.

I walk into the Parts Dept. & wait until the customers that are in a rush to be taken care of.
Then i ask about parts that i need & they do a bit of research & call the Reginal Warehouse for information

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In the mean time, it's not THEIR problem if you get injured, killed, do injury to someone innocent, or kill another due to this issue. Geez!
Yep. I'm sure there will be a few accidents caused by this issue. Just hope there are no serious injuries or worse. I could see a huge lawsuit against them if that happens

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Man, thought we were done with Gen 4 recalls (or whatever Gen the HD's are thru 2018).

I had the ABS / HDAU go out on a Chevy Kodiak - loss of power braking on a 20,000 lb vehicle is loads of fun.

And the a-holes welded my steering link before I knew what was really going on with that, too.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep. I'm sure there will be a few accidents caused by this issue. Just hope there are no serious injuries or worse. I could see a huge lawsuit against them if that happens
Years ago, I rear ended an F-150 with my 1993 GMC Suburban due to a mal-functioning ABS system and an unintentional ABS deployment..... on a rain-slicked black top road. The problem turned out to be a rear wheel cylinder leaking fluid onto the drum and brake shoes on one of the rear brakes. ABS is just as dangerous when it engages unintentionally (as mine did) or fails to work. No one was injured in my accident, fortunately.
I fixed the rear brakes and never had an unintentional ABS event on that truck again. A tree took it out from a tornado!

My current 2004 Ford Ranger Edge (daily driver) had several unintentional ABS deployments recently. The left front rotor (aftermarket) had the tone ring become un-pressed onto the hub body and was free spinning. Fortunately it only mal-functioned once per key cycle, because the ABS system would flag a code and turn the "ABS" light on the dash on upon first stop of that drive event, and disable ABS function. A new rotor fixed it, and I cleared the code and all is well.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Technology works

when it works

When there isn't so much

That something always doesn't work
My old (2002) Sequoia has ABS/VSC on it. In 2014, I was on a trip to New Orleans, Louisiana for a class on advanced drive ability. I had to exit the freeway (Interstate 10) to get gas and a pit stop. As I exited the cloverleaf ramp, My speed was excessive. As I took the sharp curve, the VSC/ABS kept me from rolling the high center of gravity vehicle... So, yes, technology saved me from my own neglect.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2023RamWarlock