No Drivers heat, functioning blend door actuator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sbouchie12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey everyone,

I'm having an issue with my trucks heat, 2013 Ram 1500 Sport dual zone climate controls. Passenger side blows hot while the drivers side is lukewarm if that. I have browsed the forums and I couldn't get a definitive answer. A lot of people suggest the blend door actuator so I popped the glove compartment off and I can see the white tab turn as I change the temperature. It seems like prior to 2013 that was a common issue. Also with the A/C on both driver and passenger sides are ice cold, not sure if it uses a different blend door?

The other suggestions people make is the heater core being clogged. Some people said it has two separate flow paths inside it for passenger/driver and other people have said that is not the case. I have 100k miles on it and I have not done the coolant flush so that's why I would be leaning more towards that. Also I noticed this issue after I had the water pump replaced.

Thanks for all the help/replies

Holmes88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey everyone,

I'm having an issue with my trucks heat, 2013 Ram 1500 Sport dual zone climate controls. Passenger side blows hot while the drivers side is lukewarm if that. I have browsed the forums and I couldn't get a definitive answer. A lot of people suggest the blend door actuator so I popped the glove compartment off and I can see the white tab turn as I change the temperature. It seems like prior to 2013 that was a common issue. Also with the A/C on both driver and passenger sides are ice cold, not sure if it uses a different blend door?

The other suggestions people make is the heater core being clogged. Some people said it has two separate flow paths inside it for passenger/driver and other people have said that is not the case. I have 100k miles on it and I have not done the coolant flush so that's why I would be leaning more towards that. Also I noticed this issue after I had the water pump replaced.

Holmes88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am having the same issue with my 2013 Ram 1500 Laramie. I flushed the coolant, I've also had it flushed, several diagnostics done (I've moved a lot and have dealt with the issue for several years now), and they all say heater core because the blend door actuator is working. I've yet to move forward with it because the labor costs won't be pretty but I'm not waiting another winter. I'm taking it in next week and can let you know if replacing the heater core works or not.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is a case where a free code scan (of the HVAC module) from a parts store would come in real handy. Might get some codes which point you in the right direction, or, if not, might help eliminate a few things you were thinking about.

If you hear a constant 'hunting' (creaking or noise coming from the HVAC) as you drive, it could be a broken door hinge. But before going that far, start with a scan and see what that turns up. There are several electric actuators, could be one (or even two) have flaked-out. Also, it wouldn't hurt to do a back-flush on your heater core. Pull off the hoses and jamb your garden hose up to it in reverse-flow... you might be surprised how much crud can come out of a heater core. Note, I wrote "reverse-flow" ..you want to blow crud 'out' of the heater core, not lodge it in further. Sometimes that does the trick, or improves things considerably.

More than likely it's an electric actuator issue. See what the codes turn up...

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Most Rams, 2009 - 2017 or more
Have 4 Actuators & they are easy to get to them, ( some have 5 & the 5th one requires removing the whole HVAC Box )

Removing the Glove Compartments, allows you to see & check out 2 of the actuators
#1 is straight up above the Fan
#2 is sort of to the left of the fan
You can watch them moving, by working the HVAC Controls
If you remove the 2 screws holding the actuators in place, you can remove them and work the short lever that actually moves the door inside the box, you can feel & hear the door move when you remove the lever, if it does not seem to move the door, then the door is broken.

The other 2 actuators are hidden behind the Radio Bezel & maybe the cup holder if you have that type seat console
Unscrew the radio bezel & let it lay back toward the seat.
You may be able to see the actuators move, if not, you may have to disconnect any wires that are restricting your view

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel

kinggil2001

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey everyone,

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
For what it's worth - my money would be on the heater core, common with these, and to answer the OP's query, yes, the HVAC housing is split down the middle with a baffle for two separate flow paths

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
lets shake some memory out of a couple of heads

there is a trick

It has to do with pressing some HVAC Buttons for a short period of time

vikefan7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Having a similar issue in my 2017 Ram 2500, hot air out of passenger, lukewarm and little flow out of the driver side. Is the actuator for this the one that's behind the glove box or is it the impossible one to get to?

@Holmes88 did you end up getting a new heater core and if so what was the damage and did it fix it?

Holmes88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Having a similar issue in my 2017 Ram 2500, hot air out of passenger, lukewarm and little flow out of the driver side. Is the actuator for this the one that's behind the glove box or is it the impossible one to get to?

@Holmes88 did you end up getting a new heater core and if so what was the damage and did it fix it?
I just picked it up today. Replacing the heater core fixed my issue.

jeremiah johnson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

The coils on the outside of the heater core are plugged with dirt. Air cant flow through it. Caused by not having a cabin airfilter! This is 100% the problem...

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I think that the bill for fixing the HVAC System
ie: heater core is overly high

If they replaced the heater core, i hope that they also cleaned or replaced the Air Conditioning Evaporator

they are side by side in the HVAC Housing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I’m having a very annoying but similar issue… I’ve checked all the actuators and it seems the one that switches from floor to defrost isn’t getting a signal from the controller… I’ve flushed the HC and that didn’t help… the only time the motor turns is when I unplug the main harness then plug it back in… but it will work randomly… I cannot figure this out…