No Taillights! Wierd electrical issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Korishan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.6L
I have no taillights at all. Means no night driving atm.

I thought I had burned bulbs, replaced them. Thought I might have bad circuit boards, so did Ohm tests on them and they are fine.
Backup lights work fine
Right turn signal works just fine. Left signal wont light up on the tail, so flashes quickly.
When trailer is hooked up, I have full lights on the trailer and everything works "on" the trailer, but the lights on the truck still don't work.
It was suggested a possible ground issue, so I turned the lights on after disconnecting the plug and pulled a ground from somewhere else, no go.

On the electrical side of things:
When reading Gnd->Taillight+ I get about 12V. But as soon as I hook a load up to it, the voltage drops to almost 0V. It was suggested that I have some kind of high resistance somewhere.
How do I track down this problem??? I really really really need this fixed so a) I don't get a ticket b) I can safely drive at night w/o the trailer.

Kori

OP
OP
K

Korishan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.6L
Finally was able to find something. Could this problem be traced down to a problem with the TIPM???

After finally figuring out that there is no relay box that everything is on a circuit board, I figured I'd start the process of pulling it all out and taking a look at the board for any burned traces, resistors, or brown marks.

Any ideas, suggestions?

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Finally was able to find something. Could this problem be traced down to a problem with the TIPM???

After finally figuring out that there is no relay box that everything is on a circuit board, I figured I'd start the process of pulling it all out and taking a look at the board for any burned traces, resistors, or brown marks.

Any ideas, suggestions?

Yes, TIPMs are a high failure point on chryslers.

OP
OP
K

Korishan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.6L
Been awhile, but a quick update. Turned out to be the fuses, BOTH of them! I didn't know there was a different fuse for each side.

However, I had replaced a few fuses days before and hadn't even thought to check again. I'm not sure what happened to cause both fuses to pop.

Buuuuut, I still have no left turn signal. I did a voltage check on the line and it does indeed flash, but the voltage is <1V. I think it bounced between 0.98 and about 0.74V. That was using both the provided ground wire, and using the chassis for ground. So I'm guessing there's an issue on the Positive side of the wire run.

Trailer lights work without an issue, but they have a completely different circuit/fuses.

Any ideas what next to check? I did not take the TIPM all the way out. After seeing that 2 fuses were blown, I replaced them and got taillights back. Lights at night are far more important than a turn signal, so I put everything back. I'd rather not do more damage if I can avoid it.

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Need to find you a good wiring diagram so you can see the common points in the failure.

Runaround

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have read the term "TIPM" on here many times but I am wondering what that stands for. I am fairly new to Dodges, about 14 months now, other than a '95 model that I owned for 3 years. Let me know what that means, please.

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have read the term "TIPM" on here many times but I am wondering what that stands for. I am fairly new to Dodges, about 14 months now, other than a '95 model that I owned for 3 years. Let me know what that means, please.

Totally Integrated Power Module. Fancy fuse box under the hood, everything electronic goes through, circuit board inside, one relay goes, have to replace whole box. ( Expensive)

Runaround

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks OCD. Now do you know what would cause the Electronic Throttle Control light to illuminate. My wife said hers has three times in two days. Each time it was shortly after starting the truck. She stopped the truck, turned it off and restarted it with noight for the rest of the day. Evidently it doesn't run rough or loose power or she would have told me that.

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks OCD. Now do you know what would cause the Electronic Throttle Control light to illuminate. My wife said hers has three times in two days. Each time it was shortly after starting the truck. She stopped the truck, turned it off and restarted it with noight for the rest of the day. Evidently it doesn't run rough or loose power or she would have told me that.

A problem with the electronic throttle system, I would use a scan tool and get the codes to give you a clue. Its the lightning bolt symbol correct?

Runaround

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Correct on the symbol. The next time it comes on I will go to my local oreilly store.

Runaround

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update: I drove the truck today with several stop and restarts. The light came on within a mile of my house and I noticed the temperature gauge wasn't working also. I drove to O'Reilly's and they hooked up their scanner and it said I had a problem with the emissions evap system. I've had that problem several times, code #2 was temperature reading inaccurate, which for some reason the gauge wasn't working and #3 said I was using the wrong type of engine oil. I have been using PUP for the year that I have owned the truck. The first time I killed the truck and restarted it the Electronic Throttle Control light went off, never came back on and my temp gauge is working again. One time today the truck was able to cool down totally before restarting.

Runaround

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update #2
Today I disconnected the battery and then unplugged and replugged the throttle body wire several times and then drove the truck and no CEL came on and the temp gauge worked fine. Hopefully that fixed it but I am still puzzled why the scanner said I had the wrong type of engine oil. As I said I have been using the same oil, PUP for a year now.

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like a weird electrical issue, i hope you've got it.

10 Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Google "Chysler TIPM reset" and you'll find some youtube videos. I tried it on my wife's Jeep...didn't cure a similar problem. I spliced in a new ground to the chasis to cure it.

OP
OP
K

Korishan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.6L
What does the ETC light illuminating have to do with my taillights/turnsignal not working properly?!?! I don't see the connection

Nice seeing someone hijack a thread that has nothing to do with the OP situation and the mods not correct the issue

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Correct on the symbol. The next time it comes on I will go to my local oreilly store.

You don't have to wait to get it checked. Unless someone has deleted the code it will still show on the scan even when it no longer shows on the dash.

OP
OP
K

Korishan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.6L
MODS: Please close thread as I have not gotten much help on my problem and has been hijacked by others with a problem that has "nothing" to do with my OP.

Runaround

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your thread. I just saw something about TIPM and I asked what it meant and decided to ask OCD what my problem was after getting my answer because he seemed to be pretty knowledgeable about these trucks. Again I am sorry.