Normal Power Wagon handling?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Breaker Alex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Checking tires is a good starting point.

Mine was horrible until I deflated the tires a bit.
They where 75 PSI, got them down 45-50 PSI instead. ( Original Duratracs D )

An then new tires changed the game even more. It is a heavy truck and benefits from heavier/sturdier tires.

Fitzreefer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7 L
I was going to say the same. Try lowering the tire pressure. On my '13 I'm riding 45 front and 35 rear, but I'm running E load Toyos. The D loads might need more. Thuren has a quick you tube vid about tire pressured.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

FlameThrower

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 PW
Engine
Hemi 6..4:L
My 2020 PW rides very well even with the tires at 60 psi on stock Duratracs. That's even coming from a mid-size IFS truck. But I've driven solid axle vehicles on E rated tires for the past 20 years with worn steering boxes so that may have something to do with it.

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was gonna put tires into equation but I just figured that he had started with that aspect as that’s always the first I’d check. But again to mimicking what everyone said and to capitalize on 2 ply sidewall D rated tires are put on Power Wagon to assist with it’s off road attributes, more flex and better grip. So far as tires pressures I,m with a few of the other guys here, I push 45 psi front and 40 rear. Those stock PSI values show maximum load inflation rating.

Pat E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L
I developed the Death Roll (not the Death Wobble) at around 28,000 miles on my 2018 PW. I started with a Thuren rear track bar. That definitely helped, but the excessive roll was still there. I then put on a Carli front track bar (tough decision between the Carli and the Thuren). The Carli front tack bar completely got rid of the problem and made my PW feel like I was driving a different tuck. Before I purchased the front tack bar, I had my son turn the steering wheel while I was underneath. There was definitely a lot of movement out of the track bar, but not sure if it was always that way (rubber bushings) or developed with age.

jester139

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went from a 16 1500 with 4" lift and 35's (Toyo RTs) to a 2020 PW. Honestly the PW sucks compared to the 1500. Bumpy and loose. It was also scary with the same 35" Toyo RTs when I had on it in the snow.

I just traded it in and I don't miss it (except for the winch).

'06 Ram 2500

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I put the 3" Carli Lift and track bar on my '06 2500 4x4 and stayed with the E Load tires and the ride is good. I also put the steering box stabilizer on several years ago and that was a huge improvement with the stock front end. The ride has much more compliance and the back end doesn't hop all over the road on washboard roads with the Carli System. There is however a little more side to side motion but that is more due to the lift and does not bother me going down the road. I think the E Load tires will help you with reducing the side to side motion. Otherwise enjoy your 2500.

Ram Wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
A thuren rear track bar will vastly improve the handling on the hi-way. My 2018 had a lot of rear-end sway until i replaced the rear track bar (at about 30k miles). I also changed the front track bar, added the king steering stabilizer and went with Thuren's Fox 2.0 tuned shocks as well. Overall a huge difference in ride and handling.

Jesse387SRT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have a 2015 with just over 32K on it ( military deployments kept it garaged a lot). I upgraded to Toyo AT2 Extreme 35’s and some Fuel wheels. I noticed even before the upgrades that I was having a floating sensation in my steering, not bad, but enough that I wanted it right. I already had the “Mopar Fix” done to the drag link and hated it from day one. I did a ton of research and went to some of the best off-road shops in person, and online. An overwhelming majority recommended the Synergy drag-link, track bar, and tierod. I also added a Fox steering stabilizer to further tighten up the steering feel. I ended up going with all Synergy as recommended, and couldn’t be happier! No wobble, drift, bump hop, nothing. It actually drives as nice as my wife's new Ram 1500 4x4 now. I use my truck to hunt, camp, and explore all over Alaska, and get into some really sketchy areas to het out to the most amazing spots, and so far, not a single issue with any of the Synergy products. FYI, I am running Thuren Springs, and Fox 2.0 shocks front and rear. I hope this helps

E9BD7D2D-9315-4C43-AA76-514986BD8173.jpeg

A1BBA088-640B-442E-94EF-BBCEC59183E2.jpeg

AACD3593-CB7D-4EB5-8122-829C480A1702.jpeg

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I developed the Death Roll (not the Death Wobble) at around 28,000 miles on my 2018 PW. I started with a Thuren rear track bar. That definitely helped, but the excessive roll was still there. I then put on a Carli front track bar (tough decision between the Carli and the Thuren). The Carli front tack bar completely got rid of the problem and made my PW feel like I was driving a different tuck. Before I purchased the front tack bar, I had my son turn the steering wheel while I was underneath. There was definitely a lot of movement out of the track bar, but not sure if it was always that way (rubber bushings) or developed with age.

tracbar really has no influence on body roll. tires, springs ,swaybar and shocks do however.
any joint with rubber bushings (motor mounts, radius arms, tracbars, tranny mounts etc) will have some give as thats how theyre designed. im sure youve noticed how much the tcase shifter moves as you press on the accelerator. everything under there is supported with rubber bushings

Matt ott

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Some good tires and inflated to 50 psi unloaded will help alot. All the other stuff is good but crazy expensive..

B Mitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
6.4L
I went from a 16 1500 with 4" lift and 35's (Toyo RTs) to a 2020 PW. Honestly the PW sucks compared to the 1500. Bumpy and loose. It was also scary with the same 35" Toyo RTs when I had on it in the snow.

well if you traded it in for that TRX in your photo... no **** you don’t miss it... lol.

Big Cheddar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 PW
Engine
6.4 Liter Hemi
Hey all, new PW owner and have a quick, hopefully not stupid, question.

I went from a Ram 1500, which I loved, and find the PW feels sloppy on the road compared to my 1500. I'm countersteering slightly to keep it going straight. It's much worse towing a trailer. It just feels loose.

Is this normal for the PW with the off road suspension set up? Or should I have the dealer check it out

Thanks in advance
Welcome. Nice Power Wagon !
I haven't read through all the Posts. And I will probably Re-state something that has already been said. If so my apologies. IMHO. The biggest improvement will probably come from moving up to a Load Range E Tire. I know there's a big difference in feel . When I go from a P Rated All terrain to an LT All terrain on my old 1/2 Ton Z71. I will be getting new tires for my PW in a couple of Weeks. I'll let you know. But there's only so much you can do .Before you start to take away from it's off Road Capability. Big Wheels , and Short sidewalls don't work well when you're trying to Air down ,and Climb over Rocks. But . They work great, for Road Handling and Towing.

Big Cheddar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 PW
Engine
6.4 Liter Hemi

Congratulations ! If it was that scary for you. You needed to trade it in. Glad you made it through your Tramatic PW Ownership experience unscathed. Now. We all have what we want. Except none of us are in the TRX section .Trying to Call attention to ourselves. By insulting your Truck. Except for the fear you had . When you were driving it. I can't understand,Why anyone else would ever want to trade a 3/4 ton Solid Axle Heavy Duty 4X4 Mountain climber with a Front Locker and 51:1 Crawl Ratio, For a 1/2 Ton IFS Light duty 4X4 Desert/Stoplight Racer with a 44:1 Crawl Ratio and fake front brake/Spoof locker ? But that's me . Apples ,and Oranges. I guess that's why they're in different Specialty sections of the Ram forum. If you're lost ? I'm sorry.This is the PW section. If your not. You must be Trolling. If that's the case. You got the attention, you seem to be starving for. But unfortunately . You added nothing to the discussion.

Last edited:

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
i have 3 sets of tires for my 2500 and each set drastically changes the ride,feel of the truck,the f rated ridge grapplers are the most noticeable,so they only go on when the camper is loaded on.first mod i ever did when i got it in 2012 was dump the duratracs.hated them from the start.i already have different tires for when my p/w actually shows up.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i have 3 sets of tires for my 2500 and each set drastically changes the ride,feel of the truck,the f rated ridge grapplers are the most noticeable,so they only go on when the camper is loaded on.first mod i ever did when i got it in 2012 was dump the duratracs.hated them from the start.i already have different tires for when my p/w actually shows up.

You mean ko2’s...’12s came with bfg ko2’s.

Buttyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've not noticed these issues. My truck feels tight and drives great. However, my newer BFG All Terrain tires provide a better ride than the OEM tires.