NP 246 D Transfer case snapping noise.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blackdodge2010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey guys, I have a 2010 Ram 1500 sport. Its got a 5.7 and is automatic with a NP246 D transfer case. Lately I have been noticing a snapping noise when I push up and down on the back of the truck. After looking into it further it seems like the noise is coming from my transfer case. When I grab the yoke at the rear output shaft and push up and down on it I can hear a snapping noise. It seems to be coming from the center of the transfer case close to where the halves bolt together. There is a little bit of play in the rear output shaft but not very much. My u-joints are good, mounts are good. I have a video of it but I'm not sure how to post it here.

Otherwise it works pretty good, no leaks, no noises or issues with any ranges. I have a long trip hauling a camper coming up and want to get this sorted out before I go. Anyone ever have something like this happen to them? Or maybe someone that's rebuilt one of these and could give me an idea of what to look for if I try to fix it myself? Thanks in advance.thumbnail_20210427_170305.jpg

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hey guys, I have a 2010 Ram 1500 sport. Its got a 5.7 and is automatic with a NP246 D transfer case. Lately I have been noticing a snapping noise when I push up and down on the back of the truck. After looking into it further it seems like the noise is coming from my transfer case. When I grab the yoke at the rear output shaft and push up and down on it I can hear a snapping noise. It seems to be coming from the center of the transfer case close to where the halves bolt together. There is a little bit of play in the rear output shaft but not very much. My u-joints are good, mounts are good. I have a video of it but I'm not sure how to post it here.

Otherwise it works pretty good, no leaks, no noises or issues with any ranges. I have a long trip hauling a camper coming up and want to get this sorted out before I go. Anyone ever have something like this happen to them? Or maybe someone that's rebuilt one of these and could give me an idea of what to look for if I try to fix it myself? Thanks in advance.View attachment 247080

For ***** and giggles pull the driveshaft /clean up the splines as much as you can,and use some grease to lubricate the splines.It's a shot in the dark,but easy to do.If it doesn't make a differance,then you'll have to dig into the T-case further

Trevs09Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hey blackdodge2010, I apologize for resurrecting this older thread but I'm having the same issue with the same exact transfer case in my 09 ram. Did you determine the problem by chance? I recently hit 200k and just rebuilt the front & rear diff and noticed I have slight movement in the drive shaft/transfer case rear output. 1k miles later and now my transfer case is howling relentlessly. Oil level was good and shifts between 4hi & 4low without a problem. Researching Np246(D) issues has been somewhat of a struggle so after reading your post I'm left wondering what you found.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hey blackdodge2010, I apologize for resurrecting this older thread but I'm having the same issue with the same exact transfer case in my 09 ram. Did you determine the problem by chance? I recently hit 200k and just rebuilt the front & rear diff and noticed I have slight movement in the drive shaft/transfer case rear output. 1k miles later and now my transfer case is howling relentlessly. Oil level was good and shifts between 4hi & 4low without a problem. Researching Np246(D) issues has been somewhat of a struggle so after reading your post I'm left wondering what you found.
Looks like the last time he was here was June 11th

Trevs09Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Good thing I didn't get my hopes up lol, I figured it might be worth a shot. At least my post wasn't completely unnoticed.