NV3500 Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HighTechRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Magnum
I've got a 1995 Dodge 1500 4x4 with an automatic and a 318, and it has been showing early signs of tranny issues. I'm curious what all would be involved in an NV3500 swap. And are the NV3500 2WDs different than the 4WDs? I'm curious if I could keep my transfercase I have now.

And would a NV4500 work too? And I'd like to try and not piece it together, so I'd either buy a parts truck or trade transmissions with a guy who wants an auto.

Any help would be appreciated!

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
I've got a 1995 Dodge 1500 4x4 with an automatic and a 318, and it has been showing early signs of tranny issues. I'm curious what all would be involved in an NV3500 swap. And are the NV3500 2WDs different than the 4WDs? I'm curious if I could keep my transfercase I have now.

And would a NV4500 work too? And I'd like to try and not piece it together, so I'd either buy a parts truck or trade transmissions with a guy who wants an auto.

Any help would be appreciated!

my advise.....swap to a 5.9 360 v8 and a nv4500 to swap to a 5.9 and you need is an engine and the ecu from the same model truck with a 5 speed 5.9

OP
OP
HighTechRedneck

HighTechRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Magnum
I would love to do that instead, but this truck has pretty low miles so I think I'll drive the 318 for a while longer. If it didn't have 118,000 miles, I would!

So is that what you did?

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
no I swapped out my 318 for the torquier 360. it gave a boost in power.....I would do a nv4500 5 speed swap in mine but I like my auto. I may put a stage 2 megaviper in mine tho.....costs almost the same lol

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you can find a parts truck with the NV3500, buy the whole damned truck.

Yes, the tail housings of the 2wd and 4wd versions are different.
You'll need the pedal assemblies
Drive shafts
other odds n ends.

It can easily be done, but it's a large quantity of work.

OP
OP
HighTechRedneck

HighTechRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Magnum
If you can find a parts truck with the NV3500, buy the whole damned truck.

Yes, the tail housings of the 2wd and 4wd versions are different.
You'll need the pedal assemblies
Drive shafts
other odds n ends.

It can easily be done, but it's a large quantity of work.

Alrighty then, thanks! And would my transfer case bolt up to the 4WD NV3500, or would I have to use that transfer case?

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
For a manual conversion you will need clutch assembly, pedal assembly, tranny of choice (I would go with a nv4500 or nv5600) and a matching transfer case. Get it out of a dodge and the bellhousing will match up. The tranny support bracket is the same, and you will need a clutch and your drive lines lengthened in the front and shortened in the back. Hardest thing to find is a floor console for the interior. That being said it's pretty straight forward swap if you are mechanically inclined. If you aren't, don't even think about it. I did it on my old 02 Cummins with a nv5600 and it worked flawlessly. The tranny was out of a third gen. Third gen pedals and clutch assembly DOES NOT WORK. Third gen transfer case shift linkage DOES NOT WORK. So stick to second gen parts and you will be fine. I didn't do any computer stuff and no cel came on. There were 3 codes that always read on the computer but no lights came on. This is not to say you won't have a cel but my 02 did not. The codes are tranny related basically saying "hey I am not getting any information from your tranny dude. .. Wtf. ..." would I do this conversion again? In a heartbeat. Would I rather just buy a manual truck? for sure. But I realize that's not always an option as 6 speed trucks go for major money. But that's my thoughts on it. I think my build thread here should have pictures and information on what I did

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
^^^ Some good info here for dsl owners but most of it does not relate to the gas trucks, a NV5600 will not bolt up to a V8 and there is no bellhousing to make it work. V10 and dsl bell housings are different than what the V8 uses. In most cases the ds will remain the same. You will get a cel going to a manual, the dealer or someone with a drb scanner might be able to disable it.

Op as posted find a 2nd gen 2500 or 3500 gas truck to get your NV4500 parts from. I would not mess with a NV3500 but if you are in a hurry/tight for cash/whatever go for it. Make sure you get the right flywheel for your motor, there are two available one for the 5.2 and one for the 5.9, they can not be interchanged.

Last edited:

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
And something that i know changed in the diesel is the output shaft on the engine, I don't know about the gas engine though. Something to check into

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Some NV4500 info have gathered.

Dodge 4wd NV4500 transmissions have always maintained the same gear ratios and bolt patterns throughout production; however, variations occur between diesel (and V10) versus gas models. Diesel NV4500 4WD transmissions always have a 29 spine rear output shaft with a 6-1/4"" rear tailhousing. The input shaft is 7-1/2" 1-1/4" 10 spline with a .75" pilot tip. The front bearing retainer index is 5.6" with a snout diameter of 1.75"

Standard duty 1992-2005 order code DDP:

All years have Dodge small block bellhousing to engine bolt pattern

1992 only: 1" diameter 19 spline input shaft
1993-forward: 1.125" diameter 10 spline input shaft
1992-forward: 2WD 30 spline output
1992-2000: 4WD 23 spline output
2001-forward: 4WD 29 spline output
Heavy Duty 1994-2005 order code DDX:

All years 5.9 Cummins Turbo Diesel and 8.0 V10

All years 1.25" diameter 10 spline input shaft
All years 2WD 31 spline output
All years 4WD 29 spline output

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Something to keep in mind is that the nv4500 and nv5600 have a bell housing that can be unbolted from the tranny. since I know Chevy ones are easier to find, you can convert it to a dodge but that can get costly. Also your clutch and flywheel will be determined by your engine and tranny combination so make sure to measure input on tranny before buying your clutch. Flywheel you should be able to get info based off engine and year of truck.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Something to keep in mind is that the nv4500 and nv5600 have a bell housing that can be unbolted from the tranny. since I know Chevy ones are easier to find, you can convert it to a dodge but that can get costly. Also your clutch and flywheel will be determined by your engine and tranny combination so make sure to measure input on tranny before buying your clutch. Flywheel you should be able to get info based off engine and year of truck.

You need to get off the NV5600 tranny it is a no go bud. Show me a bellhousing that fits the nv5600 and the v8 gas magnum motor please. Don't say an NV4500 bell will fit the NV5600 because it does not.

Both the DSL and the gas V8 NV4500 have the same length input shaft and spline count, the only difference is in the diameter.

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Didn't mean to imply it did, my experience is with the nv5600 extra info is better then no info as other users could use this thread for reference in other applications. I know I used every piece of info i could get before i did my conversion. You are correct the bellhousing does not swap between the two. Sorry if there was any confusion there

OP
OP
HighTechRedneck

HighTechRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Magnum
There is a V10 4x4 5 speed truck 3 doors down that is being parted out by a friend of ours, so I'm thinking about getting it from him if it will work. If not, I'll try and find a normal gasser one. Not a hurry though, so it's not a big deal.

So is there a way that V10 one can be run in mine? From Merc225hp's info, it looks like I'd have to change the input and output shafts for it to work? Or would it only be input shaft if I try to use his transfer case? Would my current auto transfer case bolt up to the NV4500 if I put the gasser output shaft too? And also what would I do to get a flywheel for a 318 and a NV4500, because I've never heard of the two mated together, only a 360?

And I'm sorry about it being a million questions, I just don't want to get caught in the middle of a conversion, and find out my parts won't work...

And thank y'all so much for the help! I really appreciate it!

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I think the main issue is the bell housing. You would need to find the correct one. If you use his transfer case and linkage for everything that could be the route to go. As to the input and flywheel you can buy a clutch for that input, and a flywheel for your engine output as long as the flywheel and clutch have the same bolt pattern. Matt over at Moe's performance could help you with that if those parts are available

OP
OP
HighTechRedneck

HighTechRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Magnum
Sorry for the late response.

Looks like my best bet is just to wait and find someone with my identical sister truck, and either trade trucks or trannies. Thanks for the help guys