O5' 4x4 with 3" leveling kit... ROUGH ride

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justicedealt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Bought the truck with it installed. LOVE the look, hate the ride. Bounces like a lowrider. Any ideas how to soften it up without losing the height? Could we put shock extensions on it? Loose the torsion keys and go with a coil over block? (I.E. like you see on a 2500, if it would work?)

Thanks

JonnYuma

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Could we... Loose the torsion keys and go with a coil over block?
I believe that would require a complete 2500 front clip. The 1500's T-bar setup and the 2500+ coil spring setup are mutually exclusive.
My own plans to raise the front of my 02 SLT 4x4 changed immediately when I discovered the torsion bar setup... I was unaware of it before I bought the truck.
Me and Mopar T-bar IFSses go waaay back (A, B, and C body cars) and in my estimation there's just not a "good" way to use them for ride height adjustments beyond an inch or so before geometry (camber, mostly) steering, and ride quality suffer... also puts unnatural angles into ball joints and various bushings which can cause premature wear.

I'd try some longer shocks first. They won't soften the ride but they should dampen the "bounce".
Tires w taller sidewalls can help too but that's a pretty big investment.
If you get rid of the torsion keys you'll lose your lift... they're there so you don't have to crank up (tension in) the bars to get some height and (theoretically) maintain a factory ride quality.
The above reasons are why I've decided to actually lower the rear of my truck by 2" (w shackles) and make up the difference, at least partially, by adding a few turns to the torsion bar bolts if necessary. The fact that I've always preferred the look of a moderate lift (think of the 70s Bill Stroppe Baja Broncos or Ivan Stewarts Baja Fords of the same era) vs a monster truck vibe plays in my favor on this deal. Even a mild lowering of the rear will still allow for 33" tires when the time comes, and they can be as booger-y M/T or as tame all-season as I want.

This '02 of mine is my first "modern" Dodge 4x4, all the previous ones being pre-93 SFA models. There's a learning curve w these things and I'm very much on the uphill side of it so don't take anything I say as gospel... but I hate seeing someone's question just hanging out there, twisting in the breeze

:025:
...even if my post turns out to be utter hogwash and discredited by more knowledgeable members.

Last edited: